Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to engadget, Palm has discontinued the copper color. And I really wanted to get that one eventually...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...never-knew-ye/
    Sounds more like a temporary out-of-stock thing. That, or no one is buying Copper. hahaha I love mine though! Perhaps I have a limited-edition 680 now then?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Palm is still advertising all 4 colors on its website, though:

http://web.palm.com/products/smartph...DCFFAKAUZEOIV0

Okay, I had to edit this post because I spoke too soon. If you click the "Buy Now" button on the link I posted above, it does say that the Copper 680 is no longer available.

http://web.palm.com/products/smartph...unlocked.jhtml
    Very strange.

Although based on a relatively low sample size, the Treo 680 colour poll here at Treocentral suggests that copper was pretty popular.
    I saw it on another thread, saying that all the color version is going to be discontinued. May be due to the popularity of the copper color, it is sold out first. I guess Cingular is pressuring Palm not to sell those.
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    I saw it on another thread, saying that all the color version is going to be discontinued. May be due to the popularity of the copper color, it is sold out first. I guess Cingular is pressuring Palm not to sell those.
    No being sarcastic or anything. But why would they discontinue the most popular colour? Any reason why Cingular is pressuring Palm?
    It does seem strange they would pull it so soon, particularly after some accessory manufacturers (Seidio definitely comes to mind) have bothered to color key accessories for the 680. I don't imagine there would be much support for doing this later on if a manufacturer knows there is such a limited supply of the alternate colors. hmm..
    As noted above, it appears from other sites that Palm is discontinuing all colours but grey - sorry, silver....

"You can buy any colour Palm you like, just as long as it's grey."

Jut add it to the long list of things Palm has done to alienate it's fan base.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    this is surprising. i love my copper treo and was glad i was able to get this color versus a plain silver or grey like so many other smartphones out there. either they really didn't sell well at all, or palm doesn't want to bother manufacturing it anymore (or it's a supply or quality control issue)...
    Im glad my wife's friend was able to get one for me last week. : )
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    Cingular can stop the manufacturer from selling it's own product??? If so they have TOO MUCH POWER!

This might be Palm's decision.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you go to the Palm site and try to buy one, the drop down menu of choices for color does not include copper. Only arctic, graphite, and crimson.
  13. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    maybe it just didn't sell as well as the others
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'd bet on the popularity thing.. Palm has to be planning on selling 680's to many other markets that don't conflict with Cingular. What I don't get is how Cingular ever figured that they would sell grey ones locked for $50 more than an unlocked grey one? I don't think they have much influence on Palm just based on the pricing of unlocked ones. Just like that "other" phone that has been making a little news lately, I don't see anyone staying strictly with Cingular. You can bet that Apple will get out of that deal, especially if they want to sell to the rest of the world. I have friends in Scotland that might want one... I doubt they are going to buy one from Cingular.

I'd say the copper ones were slow selling. The other possibilty is that Palm is just rationalizing the offering. It is just easier and cheaper to sell one color.

greg
    It's gotta be a cost thing. They look at how many they sell of each color, and if one is lagging the others enough, it gets the axe. Standardize production to save money.
    I'm glad I got the copper when it first became avaiable. weird how they would discontinue it when they marketed the fact that they have so many color options.
    That's what you get for not offering the blue version! The Treo god is angry!
    i just went to the palm store over the weekend here at the grove in los angeles and the rep told me that they will not be selling unlocked treo 680's there anymore..the reason for this is that cingular has bought all the colors and all treo 680's from this week on will all be cingular branded..seems cingualr is taking over..i was lucky enough to buy 1 of the last 3 she had in copper..she said once this supply is gone the new cingular branded phones will be coming in
    Quote Originally Posted by acris24 View Post
    i just went to the palm store over the weekend here at the grove in los angeles and the rep told me that they will not be selling unlocked treo 680's there anymore..the reason for this is that cingular has bought all the colors and all treo 680's from this week on will all be cingular branded..seems cingualr is taking over..i was lucky enough to buy 1 of the last 3 she had in copper..she said once this supply is gone the new cingular branded phones will be coming in
    wow...guess she must have had the inside info on us. I guess that we were shipped over 50 of the copper. I read a posting where another one of our stores said our product was eol - which i do believe it is. I would have rather heard that the product was a limited edition instead of being bought out. Thats the worse - well here's to the last 50 copper.

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarn3rd View Post
    wow...guess she must have had the inside info on us. I guess that we were shipped over 50 of the copper. I read a posting where another one of our stores said our product was eol - which i do believe it is. I would have rather heard that the product was a limited edition instead of being bought out. Thats the worse - well here's to the last 50 copper.
    ya she said that cingular bought all the colors from palm..she also stated that by the end of this week they will start selling the cingular branded ones in the plam stores..so as soon i she said that i didnt hesitate to buy my onlocked copper phone.my wife bought one of the last crimsons she had in the store as well
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast