Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    For anybody who is curious, here are some cluster size results of some tests I just ran through (default cluster size unless otherwise noted):

=======================

256MB Lexar 32x

Windows XP (FAT)
    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    62,394 total allocation units on disk

Windows XP (FAT32)
    2,048 bytes in each allocation unit
    124,424 total allocation units on disk

Treo 680 (FAT)
    62,394 total allocation units on disk

=======================

1GB Lexar

Windows XP (FAT)
    16,384 bytes in each allocation unit
    62,445 total allocation units on disk

Windows XP (FAT32)
    249,356 total allocation units on disk

Treo 680 (FAT32)
    249,356 total allocation units on disk

=======================

2GB Transcend 150x

Windows XP (FAT)
    32,768 bytes in each allocation unit
    62,790 total allocation units on disk

Windows XP (FAT /A:32K)
    32,768 bytes in each allocation unit
    62,790 total allocation units on disk

Windows XP (FAT32)
    501,408 total allocation units on disk

Treo 680 (FAT32)
    501,407 total allocation units on disk

* Interesting to note that XP's default FAT format already uses 32K cluster size on a 2GB card.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Another thing I noticed while running these tests: After a fresh FAT format of my Transcend 2GB card, VFSMark and CardSpeed both reported good results on the first run ("751" and "Great", respectively). However, on the second run (immediately after the first run, no changes to the card) VFSMark dropped to 492, and CardSpeed completely failed the card, saying it was not recommended at all. And testing again after that yielded the same (bad) results.

Do I have a defective card, or is there something else at play here that I'm unaware of? My previous cards were always consistent with speed tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnel View Post
    Very important is the cluster size of your card. You will get the best results with the following cluster sizes. Use the DOS box for formatting your card. I`m using a Transcend 4 GB / 150x with best results (16K), even with big Western Europe map.

Less than 4 GB (FAT16):
    2 GB SD (SanDisk) FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

4 GB and more (FAT32):
    4 GB SD or SDHC (Transcend) FAT32 mit 16K: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

"X" is the drive letter.
    Wow this worked! Thanks!

I just installed TT6 (Palm Navigator Edition 3). It worked fine on the 1GB SD (mini SD + SD adapter) that came with the package, but at first, it was unusably slow when I installed the software on either 2GB Sandisk Ultra2 or 4GB Sandisk. (even worse when I tried it with ptunes running in the background).

I was getting ready to send the whole thing back, but then I tried your suggestion and it is like night at day. TT6 now runs fine on the 4GB card, even while playing ptunes in the background.

G
    Question: Any particular reason for not using 32kb cluster size with 4gb or more (FAT32)?

G
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Interesting discussion.

I just installed onto an A-Data 8gig SDHC that has been working - fine but a bit slowly. It came formated and was readable on both devices. Yes, the 680 shows device maxed at 4Gig but supposedly works fine when above that.

chkdsk says it is FAT32. Also, 4,096 bytes per allocation unit. Is that the same as /A:4K?

Should I go reformat with: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K?

Also, I couldn't get TomTom 6.65 to exe's to work on the 680. I'm using version 6.030 from Palm's web site. Did I miss something, or - must I use a hack?

Cheers,
    Steve
    You can fix TomTom to work with your 680 by following this link :
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131615

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    ...chkdsk says it is FAT32. Also, 4,096 bytes per allocation unit. Is that the same as /A:4K?

Should I go reformat with: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K?
    Yes

Yes, that is what I did.

I also tried it with A:32K. It seems like it may be working even a bit faster with A:32K. Also I didn't lose much in storage space with the larger cluster size, presumably because most of my files are fairly large (mp3 files).

G
    Very important is the cluster size of your card. You will get the best results with the following cluster sizes. Use the DOS box for formatting your card. I`m using a Transcend 4 GB / 150x with best results (16K), even with big Western Europe map.

Less than 4 GB (FAT16):
    2 GB SD (SanDisk) FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

4 GB and more (FAT32):
    4 GB SD or SDHC (Transcend) FAT32 mit 16K: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

"X" is the drive letter.
    Barnel, just wanted to send thanks your way. I just got the Palm/TomTom Navigator 3, and was dismayed when it slowed to a crawl after copying it to my 2GB Sandisk Ultra II card. Reformatting with the above parameters brought it back to normal.

Before reformatting, it took 45-47 seconds after the initial TomTom startup splash screen for the license agreement screen to appear. After reformatting, it takes 5 seconds or less, and moving from screen to screen is near instantaneous.

I owe you one!

Last edited by UniPalmer; 05/13/2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Just to add that I just did this, formated my 4GB miniSDHC as suggested in this thread and TomTom now works MUCH MUCH better than it did before!

Thanks! These forums are the best!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm using tomtom 6.03 on my 755p, no matter how i have my sdhc 4gig transcend card formatted, it is slow and choppy. however on my sisters 700wx, tomtom 6 is extremely smooth and fast, infact i'm jealous hehe.
    Do you know Softick Cache ? Perhaps it can help us.
    I just got the Holux M1000 receiver and it makes several orders of magnitude of difference in sensitivity, speed, and convenience. It is actually somewhat smaller than the small one that I originally got from TOMTOM but it is far more useful. Not only that, but the battery is replaceable, which is something I always appreciate. The M1000 is the way to go. I can't believe how slow the TomTom unit was and how long I put up with it.
    you can check the parameters of formating with the following command. Use the DOS box. X is the drive letter.

chkdsk X:
    Using Chkdsk x: doesn't show the cluster size. It examines files, but the DOS box disappears before I can see what results it produces. I tried chkdsk x: /p as we used to use in DOS but it doesn't pause the window.

Any further thots on checking the cluster size on the SD?
    How are you guys formatting these SD Cards? Through windows or Dos? I'm totally clueless what you guys are doing. I'm using a 680 and have a Kingston 2GB Elite 50x ... getting my Holux M1000 very soon.

I checked my card and the format I'm using is FAT. Should I keep it at this or format it to FAT32?

Total noob questions here, pls help
    Most of them use DOS because you cannot give the instructions on size through Windows as far as I know. Just follow the instructions in the posts on how to format.
    I tried this ...

FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

Didn't work .... "FAT16" is not reconized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file

I tried this ...

format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

it worked, but I don't think that's the right format i need.

MY GOD TOMTOM6 is such a pain in the ***, wait until I have to intsall it on my Palm and install the maps
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 08/29/2007 at 01:43 PM.
    then when i tired this ...

format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

I think it worked, it says "16,384 bytes in each allocation unit"
    I got a hold of a 1Gb Panasonic SD card and tried TomTom6 on it for the fun of it.

I formatted it with Fat and FAT32, TomTom runs a little slow on it. Tried formatting it w/ 16k, no can do. Cluster size is too small and can't be formatted it.

My 2Gb Kingston SD Card formatted w/ Fat32 @ 16K runs ultra smoooooooth!

Thanks for all the help everyone with helping.
    I have a 2 gig sandisk Ultra II. Installed TomTom 6 in its own directory. It works plotting short distances, but I get an error message if it tries to plot a course to a destination more than 30 or 40 miles away. I have defragged the disk. When I use the 1 gig SD that came with TomTom, there is no problem. Is this a format issue, or is it the Sandisk? I assume I can copy the entire disk to my hard drive, format the disk, then copy back to it?
    Thanks
    Bob
    i don't know this the right thread or not but when i'm using 2gb SD (kingston) sometimes my treo didn't recognise my card but when i put my 2gb on zodiac it never happend so i stick to 1 gb (kingston) till now.
    i think the 2gb card (or high speed SD card is the problem)

just my 2cent
    Fossil WristPDA ->death
    Tapwave Zodiac 2
    Treo 680 ->white Centro
    <still> perfect gadgets for my life
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast