Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Mine is set to open Bluetooth so I can easily turn it on/off - but looking for other ideas.
    I use mine for the camera - easy to start that way, and just a one-button push to get to it.
    Though useful in theory, I've found the side-button to be quiet useless. The biggest problems seem to be the accidental activation of the mapped application, and also the somewhat uncomfortable location of the button.

In short, I'm yet to find a "killer" app for that button.
    VoiceDial
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    On mine a single long hold is for VoiceDial and a quick double click is for CallRec.
    I consider both of these very important and they do not conflict with each other.
    A quick single click does nothing.
    --Nelson
    My use is quite similar to Nelson's:
    • Press and Hold launches CallRec
    • Double-Click starts a CallRec recording in the background
    • Single-Click does nothing -- So no accidental startups.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    press and hold for camera.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    On mine a single long hold is for VoiceDial and a quick double click is for CallRec.
    I consider both of these very important and they do not conflict with each other.
    A quick single click does nothing.
    How did you set up the quick double click? I can't see that when I go to Buttons in Preferences, and I don't find anything about it in the manual.

Thanks.
    Brian
    I use mine to launch Hi-Launcher, which is a pop-up launcher application that allows you to one-touch launch any applications you choose, toggle your bluetooth and certain other functions on & off, etc., without interfering with whatever application you're in (unless, of course, you launch a different application from Hi-Launcher).
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw View Post
    How did you set up the quick double click? I can't see that when I go to Buttons in Preferences, and I don't find anything about it in the manual.
    It is set as a preference from within CallRec. They just came out with the double click possibility in the most recent version of CallRec. I did not purchase/install it until that was possible since I wanted to use the single click-and-hold for VoiceDial.
    VoiceDial is set through Buttons in Preferences.
    --Nelson
    I have my side button set for VoiceDial with a long press and KBLightsOff toggle with a double-click.
    Single-click: Selects whatever is currently highlighted;
    Double-click: Turns keyboard lights on/off;
    Press-and-hold: Voice Memo.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Single-click: Selects whatever is currently highlighted;
    Double-click: Turns keyboard lights on/off;
    Press-and-hold: Voice Memo.
    How do you get the single click to select what is highlighted. Is that the equivalent of clicking the center of the 5 way.
    --Nelson
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    1. Press & Hold : iSilo
    2. Press : KeyShade ie toggle keypad lighting.
    3. Double Press : CallRec
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    How do you get the single click to select what is highlighted. Is that the equivalent of clicking the center of the 5 way.
    Correct, it's an option in Butler. Usually using the 5-way is easier and I don't use the single side button too much.
    Actually, the thread topic could be just the tip of the iceberg. I run a host of enhancements on my 680 and I find them all quite useful. Here's how they're launched...
    • [Hold] Side = Launch CallRec
    • [Dbl Click] Side = Start CallRec recording in the background
    • [Hold] Alt = Pop-up Hi-Launcher menu
    • [Hold] Messaging Button = Pop-up Snapcalc
    • [Hold] Calendar Button = Pop-up Snapdates
    • [Hold] Phone Button = Pop-up KeyguardTime+

From my Hi-Launcher menu I can launch all my DAs (Desk Accessories), toggle various power settings (Bluetooth, Beam Receive, Network Connection, System Sound), or make a call from the redial list (from any app). I can also see the date and time at the top of the menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    VoiceDial
    Ditto.
    Double-tap = CallRec
    Hold = Phone app screen .... I found this useful so I can exit certain apps that required a dedicated home button on my 650 (for those apps I like using that hijack the Home button on the 680).
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Double-tap = CallRec
    Hold = Phone app screen .... I found this useful so I can exit certain apps that required a dedicated home button on my 650 (for those apps I like using that hijack the Home button on the 680).
    You can use opt-home to defeat the hijack.
    I use it for screen rotation. I rotate the screen when traveling to watch movies or use my Treo with the universal keyboard. Press the button rotates the screen then I can use the universal keyboard to navigate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast