Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I was reading at the Palm site that you can connect a PC with BlueTooth (BT) to a Treo and use the Treo's internet connection (please correct me if I am misunderstanding this). Can it go the other way? I have a Treo 700p with Verizon but (am too cheap, so I) don't have a data plan. I also have a BT compatible (iBook) laptop that has a WiFi connection to the internet. Can I have the Treo via BT use the laptop's internet connection? If so, please let me know how to connect without incurring data charges.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by haroldo; 01/20/2007 at 05:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    You can definitely do this; it's called Reverse DUN (dial up networking). I use PC's so details are different for you. Try searching Reverse DUN Mac (or iBook etc)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot! I did a lot of searching and it kept pointing to one blog post with instructions http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...share+internet . it was from November 2003 and while I don't mind reading and learning, it is a bit over my head. In addition, since OSX has been upgraded a few times since then, I am not sure if the instructions make sense, since some of the steps aren't able to be done (the buttons aren't there for the choice that I need to make). I am not an advanced user of OSX so I don't want to mess with this, but was wondering if there was an easier step by step available. I tried googling and there is a ton of stuff out there and it is all confusing or for Windows, it would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
    Reverse DUN works but Blazer always want to turn the phone ON, even when I am not using it. A huge battery drain..
    If you have a Mac and use Missing Sync for Palm, there is a reverse-DUN feature included. It's called "Internet Sharing." It works very well and provides data speeds of about 200 kbps, which is limited by the Bluetooth connection speed. (This of course assumes that your internet connection speed on the Mac is at least 200 kbps.) Since you want reverse DUN anyway, I strongly recommend you consider buying Missing Sync for all its other features too. $40 well spent.

Still, I think that the value of reverse DUN is limited since you have to be within a few feet of a Mac that is (a) paired with your Treo and (b) has internet access. If you're close to the Mac anyway, why not use that for internet services? The only time I find reverse DUN useful is when I have a problem with Blazer or some other program that uses the Treo's internet access, and I want a fast connection to reduce the wait time when I try various settings to see what works. (I don't pay Verizon's ridiculous data service prices either; I just use the super-slow (12 kbps) "Virtual Modem" dial up connection to one of NoCharge.com's numbers when I need internet access on the Treo and I'm not near a computer.)

Of course, with this form of reverse DUN, internet access on the Treo doesn't cost anything beyond what you're already paying for the Mac's internet access.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 01/20/2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Reverse DUN works but Blazer always want to turn the phone ON, even when I am not using it. A huge battery drain..
    One's BT tether to the PC will be about 10 meters. Within that range one ought to be able to find (AC) power for the Treo.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    If you have a Mac and use Missing Sync for Palm, there is a reverse-DUN feature included. It's called "Internet Sharing." It works very well and provides data speeds of about 200 kbps, which is limited by the Bluetooth connection speed. (This of course assumes that your internet connection speed on the Mac is at least 200 kbps.) Since you want reverse DUN anyway, I strongly recommend you consider buying Missing Sync for all its other features too. $40 well spent.

Still, I think that the value of reverse DUN is limited since you have to be within a few feet of a Mac that is (a) paired with your Treo and (b) has internet access. If you're close to the Mac anyway, why not use that for internet services? The only time I find reverse DUN useful is when I have a problem with Blazer or some other program that uses the Treo's internet access, and I want a fast connection to reduce the wait time when I try various settings to see what works. (I don't pay Verizon's ridiculous data service prices either; I just use the super-slow (12 kbps) "Virtual Modem" dial up connection to one of NoCharge.com's numbers when I need internet access on the Treo and I'm not near a computer.)

Of course, with this form of reverse DUN, internet access on the Treo doesn't cost anything beyond what you're already paying for the Mac's internet access.
    thanks! I thought i'd be able to use it anywhere in the house, since i need to be close to the mac i wont bother
    Hey sorry to continue this thread, but this sounds very interesting to me, and well I'm a good old windows user and was wondering if someone could post me some instructions or possibly give me a link
    and as I am getting my treo 700p in the next week or so from a friend, I was also wondering where I would download this software you guys are talking about, Thanks!

-Chase
    The only thing my bluetooth connects to is MISERY. FIX IT PALM!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...nternet+access

Check out the part of the thread where 1000ft bluetooth range is discussed.
    I use reverse DUN on my Sprint 700p. Don't feel the need to pay for Sprint's data services. I have a small apartment but can use it anywhere inside. Also, it extends far enough to go outside and to my basement and to my car in the driveway. I find it useful to surf from my bed or anywhere else when it's not convenient to sit at my computer. Another great feature is to stream radio stations when I don't want to wake my roommate. Or to pull up driving directions. It's a great cheap feature if you're nerdy enough to hook it up. But since you're in Treo forum, that means anyone here. I'm using a Windows box so I might not be that helpful with a Mac. Those are just my observations. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    My G4 powerbook running Tiger (if on ethernet) will share/bridge it's WiFi so it acts like a wireless router, but I can't get it to do the same thing with bluetooth

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    My G4 powerbook running Tiger (if on ethernet) will share/bridge it's WiFi so it acts like a wireless router, but I can't get it to do the same thing with bluetooth

Gary
    I remember participating in a hands-on tutorial on networking at CA-World. The systems used PCs running IBM OS/2. I remember being wowed by the amount of network special knowledge that was encapsulated in the system and how intuitive it was to configure.

I have yet to master MS networking. Cannot speak to Apple but would expect it to be easier to configure than MS.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/24/2007 at 04:42 PM.
    Wohoo got it to work with alot of reading and even more help from someone who knows what hes talkin about shout out to eric bronx dude your a god with your bt adaptor and softtick ppp and a few settings boom im surfin on my palm from my living room computer or bed room comp love it thanks everyone for there input and help information should be free and no one should ever be told they cant surf with out a price cheers everyone.

I did find this how ever to unlock your treo
    to unlock my Treo phone i used my ime # or 15 digit serial nummber

Some carriers will, upon request, provide you with an official code to unlock your Treo. This only applies to GSM phones. To get your unique unlock code try calling your carrier's customer service and explain that you wish to use the phone abroad and as such require the unlock code so that you can use a SIM from another operator.

To use your unique official unlock code, launch the Phone app:

Dial

*#*#xxxxxxxx#

where you replace the x with your code,

then press Send.
    What about this device (billionton bluetooth router)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Billionton-Bluet...QQcmdZViewItem
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    OK, I'm new to the forum and caught this thread in a search engine. Is there anyone out there who'd be able to list for me, step by step, what I have to do to use the bluetooth on my Treo 700p to connect to the internet already in my laptop? I know I could simply use the laptop, but find that it may be tied up by someone else and my PDA is more convenient than kicking someone off .

Thanks in advance.
    if you have widcomm bluetooth (not XP stack or vista stack) you make a dialup connection with no username or pw to dial #777 make sure you make the modem on your BT serial port.

If that does not work try this:
    http://www.whizoo.com/bt_setup/
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    please pardon my ignorance, but what is widcomm and stack?
    y would anyone want to do this? if you have a real computer connected to the internet y not surf on that instead of a 3 inch screen that is very slow?
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    please pardon my ignorance, but what is widcomm and stack?
    Widcomm is the makers of the drivers; now owned by Broadcom. Stack is the software used to run a bluetooth device
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast