Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Rather than continuing on long battery life threads, I thought it might be appropriate to start a new thread specifically about the 680's performance since implementing Palm's patch.

So far, I'm seeing a little improvement --- between 1.5 and 2% drain per hour with beam receive OFF, time/date update OFF, and phone radio ON and minimal usage. I was hoping for better, but we'll see.

I also notice that this patch seems to have no effect on the lag issues I've had with my 680 that I didn't have with the 650. Hopefully Palm will release further updates because I don't think this current patch addresses all of the issues. BUT... it's a start!
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    My 'expt' is still underway so I have not installed the camera patch yet. I am now at 93 hours, and my battery is at 22%. Two interesting things happened yesterday.

1. My standby drain rate was working at less than 0.5% as usual. I then went on a 4 hour drive out in the country (weak or no signal in many parts), and found the standby drain rate increased to an average of 1% per hour, with no change in settings. This is probably because my 680 was having to work harder to send and receive signal, consistent with what others have suggested in recent posts and probably not surprising.

2. The other incident was after I was back in a good signal area, drain rate was back to 0.5% per hour, when I received a call where I spoke for about 8 minutes. After the call, I noticed the drain rate increased to about 4% per hour for the next two hours. I had not changed any settings and I had not used the camera. I performed a soft reset, and drain rate went back to 0.5% per hour. Overnight last night, it was 0.4% per hour. (it always seems better overnight, probably because I am not checking the battery meter at all). I dont see any connection between this big increase in drain rate and the camera (or anything else apart from phone use), but the soft reset appears to have fixed it. This mysterious factor that dramatically affected my 680's performance yesterday may be the cause of many other problems people are having that dont seem to be camera related. It may therefore be worth others trying a small expt if you can be bothered - soft reset, then look at battery drain. Does it improve, and if it again deteriorates, what appears to trigger it.

Anyway, the good news is that my 680 is easily going to make 4 full days on Standby with light use. At the current drain rate of <0.5% per hour, it should still almost make 5-6 days (except it wont because I wont let it get below 10%). If I had not tried the various heavier load conditions over the course of my experiment (bluetooth on, camera effect and other things that increased drain at certain periods), I am pretty confident I could have easily squeezed another 2 days out of it.
    Last edited by DIG; 01/19/2007 at 03:22 PM.
  3.    #3  
    DIG, your experience would suggest that merely making or receiving a phone call starts a higher drain on the battery until a soft reset is done. I'm fairly certain that there are other culprits draining the battery besides the camera, so hopefully Palm will get to them too. I'll experiment as well and do my best to remember to soft reset after a call and see if my drain changes. I envy your .5%/hour .... I'm nowhere close to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    DIG, your experience would suggest that merely making or receiving a phone call starts a higher drain on the battery until a soft reset is done. I'm fairly certain that there are other culprits draining the battery besides the camera, so hopefully Palm will get to them too. I'll experiment as well and do my best to remember to soft reset after a call and see if my drain changes. I envy your .5%/hour .... I'm nowhere close to that.
    I dont think this is generally true, because I have received several calls over the course of my 4 day expt and that only happened once. The only difference was that this was a longer call, and that the call was cut off from the other end. Perhaps it relates to who hangs up - the caller or the callee?
    slim high-capacity battery for treo 680 by seidio: finally available
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=630
    I'm getting similar battery efficiency to DIG. I rarely use the Camera (I think I have taken 3 pictures in my 6 weeks of owning the phone), so I never noticed if that had any effect on battery life. But of course I installed the patch anyway. I did it over the air and it only took a couple of minutes.
    7-8% increase. No wonder they weren't in a rush to put that on the market. But I guess if I felt the need for a second battery then why not.

Kudos to them for packing as much as possible into the space. Apparently Palm already did a pretty good job on that point.
    Clearly the new 1300mA battery is unlikely to make 680 users much happier if they are having trouble. The problems people are having are not related to the battery itself, rather, they appear to be 680 software/firmware/hardware related. The standard 1200mA battery supplied is not the weakest link, and the best option is for Palm (and possibly users) to work out what is still causing the big drain (if it is not limited to the camera problem which should now be fixed). I am sure that if people were getting 100+ hours standby out of the 1200 battery, (which certainly is possible according to my findings and several other reports), they would not feel the need to buy the 1300 battery.
    Patch has improved my battery life a lot.

About 0.6% drop per hour over 8 hours, with phone on, no calls, 5 minutes checking calendar.

This compares to 4% drop per hour over 8 hours prior to the patch.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    the patch has made things worse for me. my battery went from 90% to 39% in 4 hours despite despite not making any phone calls or using the internet. i think the fix may have messed up my battery meter.
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by aretiss View Post
    will check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    7-8% increase. No wonder they weren't in a rush to put that on the market. But I guess if I felt the need for a second battery then why not.

Kudos to them for packing as much as possible into the space. Apparently Palm already did a pretty good job on that point.
    only??! FCOL!
    I can't remember where i read a forum which stated that only pre 19th dec batch were affected by the battery drain. 680 manufactured after this date does not have this problem
    Like I said in another thread, no difference yet. I am going to do the reset trick tonight and let the phone charge up and then run it till it dies this weekend.
    This patch seriously helped my battery life.

I take my phone off the charger around 8:30 every morning, and for the majority of the day, leave bluetooth off, have a couple calls, lots of text messaging, and calendar checking. By the time I get home, I'm below 50%.

Since the patch, I've had BT on all day, done my normal routine, and still have 74% battery life, which is rather unheard of since I got my phone in early December.

Way to go Palm!
    Anamcara

I'm a girl that likes her gadgets and fur-babies.

Palm IIIe (yep, the clear one) -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Edge -> Audiovox Maestro -> Palm Tungsten E2 -> Palm Treo 680 Crimson
    mine is post dec. 19 and before the patch. it drained faster. charged slower. surfing while charging would heat it to the point of auto shutoff. cpu must have a temp gauge. so the camera was using cpu cycles..
    The battery life has just been the whole negative on this phone. I thought I could live with it but it's been pretty tough. I would top off the 680 charge in the morning at 7am and with 3 email accounts checking every hour, lots of phone use, some web, no BT,no camera, no beaming, I would barely get to 3pm or 4pm and its nearly dead and have to recharge. I am very hopeful now. I applied the patch last night and today I could not believe it! At noon I had 85 %! It is now 8:15pm and I am at 35 %. I did all the other things as many suggested but this may have done it. I was almost ready to go with extended humpback battery but now I will wait and see what this coming week will be like.
    If you have a post-Dec 19 phone, does that mean you have version 3.1 of the camera lib in ROM?
    nope there is only one difference in a post dec 19 phone far as I can tell

and that is that I didn't get it til after dec 19
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aretiss View Post
    7-8% more power? Sorry, but that's not worth the 35$ + Shipping. I get about three days out of my 680 with normal (for me) usage (about 30min per day as a GPRS modem for my laptop, 25 minutes a day phone usage, 60 minutes a day as an e-book while commuting, 10 minutes a day on-device surfing, phone on from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.). After 3 days I still had 25% left. That's really not too bad - I've had cellphones that didn't do any better.
    so with the "high-capacity" battery I'd get 3 hours more? no, thanks.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    7-8% more power? Sorry, but that's not worth the 35$ + Shipping. I get about three days out of my 680 with normal (for me) usage (about 30min per day as a GPRS modem for my laptop, 25 minutes a day phone usage, 60 minutes a day as an e-book while commuting, 10 minutes a day on-device surfing, phone on from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.). After 3 days I still had 25% left. That's really not too bad - I've had cellphones that didn't do any better.
    so with the "high-capacity" battery I'd get 3 hours more? no, thanks.
    For me, it's worth it given that it's an extra battery with a little more life and for less $$$ than the Palm-branded battery ($50). Now, my worries over battery life are relieved a bit by having an extra with me, just in case
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast