Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Another benefit of the camera patch -- it seems the very noticable and annoying lag I was experiencing on my 680 has vanished since I installed the patch. I'm a little happier.
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    I switched back to my 650 last week, and then yesterday, put the camera patch in the 680. Had it in the charger until 5 pm. Today at 9 am with no use whatsoever other than the phone being on, it's 36%. This is better than what I was getting before. But I still don't know what to think of that, because if I actually had USED the thing (the purpose of having it, eh?) like had I made several calls and used some data for surfing, then where would it be, and could I actually get through a day? I never know what to expect from this device which is my biggest concern. And well, I have gone ahead with the Seidio battery order. I really want to use this device, so I'm willing to see.
  3. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I am updating from another post (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...35#post1178335)
    Quote : After installing patch, no impact

After charging overnite to 100%, unplug from the main still gives the mandatory immediate drop to 96%. Now after 10hrs it is at 63% with one alarm activation, total 5mins calls, 1SMS. I think before the patch the battery performance was better, as I am taking into consideration that today is a Saturday (not an office day) with much less calls made.

I dont use BT, Email, Camera; only luxury is the phone & updating time/date via network. Background applications are hacks : Teal Master, SnapCalc, Phone Technician, Butler, KeyCap, FieldPlus, Treohour, Crashpro, 123-Launch.

So what's up? Unquote.

Update at 11pm :
    At 11pm, the battery is now 53%, compared to 55% yesterday. The difference is yesterday was an office day & had numerous phone calls, on the move most of the day, compared to 5 calls today (total 5mins) & stationary at home except for 4hrs during lunch.

So to sum it all the Battery patch did not improve my Treo 680 battery, on the contrary it is worse off.
    Last edited by tck; 01/20/2007 at 09:09 AM.
    Did you make the soft reset after installing the patch ?
    I don't see an improvement. I installed the patch yesterday & didn't notice anything...so I just waited until I got home so I can do a full charge.

I took it off the charger at 930am this morning. it was at 99%. now its been an hour later and it is at 91%. I have BT off, beam off, auto time off, 50% brightness. I didn't use the phone AT ALL during this time.
    Follow Me On

Yesterday I installed the Camera update. I had performed the "no sim" reset advised by Palm just the day before. I picked up my Treo from the cradle at 7AM, and now, 33 hours later, with a light use, my Treo 680 still shows 61% at the battery meter, with IR ON, Time set automatically from the network and automatic network search (very light BT use, though, I only installed a couple of files sent from my Mac). That's a noticeable improvement from the battery performances I had at the very beginning.

Tonight I'll recharge the battery again, regardless of the remaining battery life, and I'll switch off the IR, auto time & auto network to see what I can get out of this, but so far I'm pleased because it means I can easily expect to last two full work days - with light to moderate use - without recharging. I'm not a heavy phone user, so this is quite acceptable for me!
  7. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hasloewer View Post
    Did you make the soft reset after installing the patch ?
    Yes. Cant escape the window telling me to reset. I did it again just now. Let's see what happens after another over nite charge for Sunday's activities. If it drops to anything below 70% with my usage patterns on an off day, then I will know what to think of the patch.
    I'm not seeing much improvement. I had multiple things going on, so it's hard to tell what the problem was/is:

Camera update - Did it, confirmed it, no problems there.
    Cradle problem - I had a "bad" cradle. Funny thing is the cradle would charge to 100% - at least it appeared 100%. Without the cradle it won't charge past 95% on the charger. I can USB charge it from there to 100%, but even a 9 hour overnight charge won't do it with the wall charger. I have noticed that it charges much faster without the cradle, though.
    Reset - Did the battery/SIM reset. Still didn't go all the way up to 100%. Now we'll see if the drain is less.

I typically lose 50% a day. This is with a few short calls, checking calendar etc. a couple times an hour, and listening to about 2 hours of PTunes. Certainly usable if I charge every night, but not proportional to the 650 use or in line with Palm's specs.

My nagging concern at this point is whether using the "bad" cradle could have done permanent damage? I don't know anything about how this stuff works - is that a possibility??
    The voltage on the older chargers is lower, 5V vs. 5.2V. I do not think there will be a permanent problem. Find the 680 charger that came with the phone and only use that to charge it. Make sure it says it is 5.2V output. See if that makes a difference.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    Today at 9 am with no use whatsoever other than the phone being on, it's 36%.
    well 2 1/2 hours later it's dropped by 14%, sitting there doing nothing. Pretty much the same battery life drop like before. Tomorrow-who knows. Now, when the phone was off for the 6 days I was using the 650, it had decent standby battery life and did not drop levels crazily like this. Of course we all know that having the phone on uses power, so I don't know what that's really measuring.
    So whether tomorrow I'll see if the patch "takes", heaven only knows! I only took a couple pictures when I first got the 680, never used the camera since doing a hard reset anyway, so I don't even know if the camera drain issue applies to me. Oh well-I'm definitely glad I have my 650 to use in the interim.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    I switched back to my 650 last week, and then yesterday, put the camera patch in the 680. Had it in the charger until 5 pm. Today at 9 am with no use whatsoever other than the phone being on, it's 36%. This is better than what I was getting before. But I still don't know what to think of that, because if I actually had USED the thing (the purpose of having it, eh?) like had I made several calls and used some data for surfing, then where would it be, and could I actually get through a day? I never know what to expect from this device which is my biggest concern. And well, I have gone ahead with the Seidio battery order. I really want to use this device, so I'm willing to see.
    I (seriously) got 3 days out of it on the last charge with bluetooth on, phone on from 8.am. to about 8.p.m, placing several phone calls a day (via bluetooth headset), using it as a modem for my notebook for about 20 minutes a day, doing some on-device surfing, reading ebooks for 60 minutes a day while commuting. After the third day the battery showed 21% charge. I also have the network search on automatic. But have to say that we have excellent network coverage here in Switzerland, that may be a factor.

I charged mine yesterday evening - didn't use it much today, but had the phone on all day and the battery's at 87%.

These are values I can live with - the last cell phone I had didn't do any better.

sounds to me like you may have a bad battery - or perhaps some 3rd party app is draining the battery.

dakis
    Quote Originally Posted by euroclie View Post
    Yesterday I installed the Camera update. I had performed the "no sim" reset advised by Palm just the day before. I picked up my Treo from the cradle at 7AM, and now, 33 hours later, with a light use, my Treo 680 still shows 61% at the battery meter, with IR ON, Time set automatically from the network and automatic network search (very light BT use, though, I only installed a couple of files sent from my Mac). That's a noticeable improvement from the battery performances I had at the very beginning.

Tonight I'll recharge the battery again, regardless of the remaining battery life, and I'll switch off the IR, auto time & auto network to see what I can get out of this, but so far I'm pleased because it means I can easily expect to last two full work days - with light to moderate use - without recharging. I'm not a heavy phone user, so this is quite acceptable for me!
    I some how forgot the "no sim" reset. Please give the details so nthat I could try this also. No improvement even after patch. Mine stays at 10% battery loss . I think if mine gives me two days I will be most happy. My Treo 650 used to give me 3 days but had a 1800 battery.
    I think I'm a little dense, did the update and soft reset - even verified the update. Then I read you have to launch the camera after the reset as well to finish applying the patch. Now my use is better.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I'm having terrific results with the patch -- dropped 4% overnight (7 hours).

However... very disturbing to hear of the old behaviour persisting for some folks after the patch. The big problem is reliability. I still don't know if mine is going to revert to its back behaviour some time in the future. One can get battery-watch-itis because of this -- very painful on the neck muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    However... very disturbing to hear of the old behaviour persisting for some folks after the patch.
    Maybe there are other, perhaps 3rd-party apps that are doing the same thing as the camera app was doing, not shutting down properly.
    For those not getting good results from the patch, did you run the camer app after installing the patch as per the palm instructions?

My 680 is night and day before and after the patch...so I'm very happy.
    I don't see any differences after the camera update. I never experienced camera app drained anyway.
    I used to get about 30-35 hours with light usage.
    After reading the forums, I turn off automatic search for network, automatic update time/date. The battery life got better to about 48 hours.
    4 days ago, I switched my almost depleted battery with my girlfriend's 680, and then switched it back after getting home. My battery was totally depleted, I put it back, and did a battery reset thing. It somehow did a magic, I got 72 hours battery life after that.
    It might be the battery switching confused the phone, or shut down some internal process.
    I think it is possible that other program besides the Camera app is running at the background. Or may be other inner system function is drawing power.
    My battery life has improved after doing both the no SIM battery meter reset and the camera patch. I've also stopped using my Seidio Inno.dock cradles until I find out whether or not they are considered "compatible".

Before taking the above steps, I would lose 2-4% per hour with no usage (just sitting on my desk untouched). Now, I lose less than 1% per hour under the same circumstances. I always charge overnight, and my meter now reads 99% after unplugging. Previously, my battery meter would drop to 92-98% immediately after unplugging (96% on most days).

I'm happier now. I just want to know whether or not I can use my Seidio cradles.
    been great so far here! But then again b4 the patch my use was pretty decent!
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I think I'm a little dense, did the update and soft reset - even verified the update. Then I read you have to launch the camera after the reset as well to finish applying the patch. Now my use is better.

wow, I missed that step also, thanks for the heads up!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast