Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    How about a Apple laptop with a HSDPA or EVDO card? The fact is that the IPhone does run "crippled and annoying version of itself". All this talk of "full OSX" are pure lies.

UMPC's are FULL Windows devices. The IPhone is just a PDA Phone.

Surur
    I'm talking about phones. I'm not aware of any phone that does that, and I think, but don't know for sure, that it's a legal issue -- i.e., that the content providers haven't allowed it because they have concerns about not being able to do it securely. Anyone actually know anything about this? In any case, isn't this akin to a mole on Giselle Bundchen's foot? If the Audi S8 doesn't come with a blender and a trunk full of limes and tequila, is it therefore a Yugo? Seems like pretzel logic to me.

Why do you say it's not full OSX? Do you know something that everyone else doesn't? And your opinion of the device as crippled -- should we value that more highly than those of all the tech journalists who are getting paid very well to know what they're talking about, and who've actually handled the device and talked to the engineers, and who pretty much unanimously agree that the iPhone is a huge step forward?
    Brian
    Sorry, you are using pretzel logic. Lets break it down:

1) Is Itunes on the IPhone limited vs Itunes on a macbook ? Yes or no.
    2) Can you do much much more on a full OSX laptop than an IPhone? Yes or no.

Simple questions, simple answers.

Surur
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    My understanding is that it won't initially download music wirelessly -- and neither will any other phone that I know of. I believe that's for the legal reason I mentioned earlier, not because Apple was just too dumb to think anyone would want it.

A laptop downloading music via a wireless card is connected to a router. There's a wire somewhere. I believe the absence of a wire is what disturbs the music companies, and which has prevented anyone from marketing this technology yet. My guess is that when it happens, the company that has paved the way in all other regards musically will be the one who does it.

Can you do more on a Macbook than on an iPhone? I'm guessing, but my guess is yes -- much more processing power, screen 10x as big, hard drive 15x as big, years of software development completed. I'll go with yes. Which won't make the iPhone as lame as your Treo, or mine. It won't turn into a fleshbot when we want it to, but it will be better than what we're using now. Cheer up. Things change!
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw View Post
    My understanding is that it won't initially download music wirelessly -- and neither will any other phone that I know of. I believe that's for the legal reason I mentioned earlier, not because Apple was just too dumb to think anyone would want it.

A laptop downloading music via a wireless card is connected to a router. There's a wire somewhere. I believe the absence of a wire is what disturbs the music companies, and which has prevented anyone from marketing this technology yet. My guess is that when it happens, the company that has paved the way in all other regards musically will be the one who does it.
    There are multiple solutions for downloading music directly to your mobile phone. Have you never heard of V Cast Music? Music directly downloaded in full tracks to your mobile phone???? How about Sony-Errcison's M-Buzz music store to service their Walkman phones?

BTW, the router story if just logical contortion on your part. (pretzel logic?). You could download it as easily using an EVDO or HSDPA modem. The internet is the internet.

Why not accept that the IPhone is just another mobile OS, like Symbian and Windows Mobile. Its no 'full OSX' no matter how many times Jobs says so.

For a full OS mobile device, how about the OQO 2. Built in EVDO modem on Sprint, 60 GB HDD, Vista capable. Now thats a full OS.

http://www.oqo.com/images/products/t...02overview.jpg

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/21/2007 at 07:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    As I said, I don't know about wireless music, and I was guessing. My guess stands corrected. But aren't those services tied to one service provider or one phone manufacturer? That's terrible! That would be almost as bad as Apple having DRM, or a relationship with Cingular! Or, well, exactly the same.

And the OQO? $1500? To run the leakiest operating system in existence? Now that's a full POS.
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw View Post
    As I said, I don't know about wireless music, and I was guessing. My guess stands corrected. But aren't those services tied to one service provider or one phone manufacturer? That's terrible! That would be almost as bad as Apple having DRM, or a relationship with Cingular! Or, well, exactly the same.

And the OQO? $1500? To run the leakiest operating system in existence? Now that's a full POS.
    Be careful. Your bias is showing. Funny how those other services managed to get the music downloads when Apple could not (initially at least) despite being tied to one provider with only one device.

You did not know about the music downloads. Just think how many other things you think you know but dont.

I've read all the releases you've read, and more. The IPhone does not impress me, and far from being 5 years ahead its a generation behind many other devices. Just prettier...

Surur
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    My bias was what began the post: I, like so many others, have had a really lousy experience with Palm. I mentioned Apple as a company I've had a great experience with. Yup, I'm biased, and for good reasons: cool product design, excellent product performance, good treatment when I've had a problem. Those kinds of things create positive bias.

I don't focus on one little thing about the product, like you and some others. Album covers? It doesn't mean anything to me. Fastest internet connection on the planet? Immaterial, at least to me. Wireless music downloads? I guess if I move out to the Mojave (and they have cel towers there) and I never sit down at my laptop again, I'll really be wanting that. As it stands, I can make it from breakfast to dinner without urgently needing to download an album, so that's not a biggie -- for me. Plainly it is for you.

What I want is what drew me to Treo over four years and four models ago: the most powerful and well integrated tool I can carry in my pocket. I think the iPhone is going to take things to another level of ease of use, combination of apps, and friendly design, and a whole lot of other people who've been closer to it than you have think that, too. If I'm wrong, I'll come back and start a thread about how it sucks eggs. Remember, I'm a long time Treo guy, just one disgruntled with Palm.

I'll have to take your assessment that the iPhone is a square wheel with a lick of salt, given the avalanche of accolades that's begun, and the knowledgable sources of same. But maybe you'll be right. Maybe it won't be to phones what iPod is to music players: the gold standard. Maybe it won't make our Treos look like Zunes. Maybe they're not as smart as it looks they are. We'll see.

In any case, may we all soon find digital nirvana in our palm. Or our Palm. I gots to go now. Gotta plug my Treo in again, reset the battery, turn off the camera and bluetooth and beam receive, turn the illumination off and put a flashlight on my belt, download Kinoma Producer ($29.99, to get media in a form that will work on the Treo) and Kinoma Player ($24.99, to get media to play on the Treo), stand on my head, rub my belly, do two soft resets...
    Brian
    so funny!!! treo's and palm are fun to poke fun at and that's coming from someone who has owned them all (and currently does).

they're both so yesterday. palm is dumb.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/21/2007 at 08:47 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    (This thread sounds like the following to me)

I like Jane. I think she is perfect for me.

- Those of you who don't like Jane please like her.
    - And please don't say I'm bias if I don't like Christine that you love.
    - I like Jane so Christine must be stupid
    - and you like Christine so you must be weired.
    I believe that when Stevarino said the iPhone runs full OSX he was referring to the basic OS. If you expected to be able to run full apps from your desktop Mac on your pda/cellphone, then you're not really the sharpest crayon in the box now, are you? There's a lot of hate built up for the iPhone and it's half a year from even showing up! Too many people making dumbass statements about what it can and can't do, but they haven't even seen one yet. Will third-party apps be available? Maybe, maybe not. Will it do GPS via bluetooth? Who knows?! It's too early in the game to make pronouncements about the success/failure of the iPhone. Relax, take a deep breath, and repeat, "We'll just see." And enjoy your Treo!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234