Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1. ediamond's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #21  
    Look I am one of those who bleeds seven colors. But Apple fairs no better than palm whenit comes to tech support. Sure I get great support from Apple now, but I PAY FOR IT. $325 for Applecare another $100 for Procare, and my local Apple Genius will talk to me. Of course their solution to most problems like Palm's is to simply replace the unit.

    To pin your hopes on a product that doesn't exist is either naive or incredibly stupid. Sure the iPhone shows promise, but it does not exist yet except in a well rehearsed demo. I am sure that the iPhonewill be a great product but will it do all that my Palm does without forcing me into a 2 year agreement with Stinkular? I have a feeling that iPhone users will make similar complaints...and already i can hear the bickering...no that's Cingular's fault, no...it's Apple. Oy.

    It is true Palm had a nasty bug that never should have been allowed out the door. Shame on them. But their problem is not that they don't fix them, the problem is that they don't communicate them to their users. they treat us like we are insane until we isolate the problem for them and then they issue a fix. If they could have just published a blog that said, yeah, we are seeing aproblem too, we are working on it, please be patient...ah we found the bug and are writing a fix but we're gonna have to test it for about a month so please sit tight...in the meantime don't use the camera, we'd all be better off. Palm too.

    I went on a cellphone orgy for 6 mos...switching to Blackberry , WM5 PPC, WM5 SM, and Symbian. In the end I came back to good old Palm OS because day to day it just works. Yeah, they drive me crazy especially what with their lack of Mac support, and iPhone might woo me away at some point in the future, but it will be becasue the product meets my needs, not because Apple is any better than Palm as a company.
    Last edited by ediamond; 01/19/2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo
  2. #22  
    Personally, I love Apple products. I'm a certifiable Maclot (Mac Zealot) and have stocked my house liberally with Apple products. iPods, MacBooks and PowerBooks, PowerMacs, iMacs, AirPort wireless gear, the whole shebang!

    I believe the first one in our house to be sporting the iPhone will be my wife. I'm too happy with my Treo 680 right now, and I'm not ditching T-Mobile and my $5 per month data plan, especially for a first-generation product. But wifey-poo is on Verizon and looking to bail on them, so she'll jump to AT&T when the iPhone ships. Maybe we'll switch her over to Cingular now so we can see if their coverage is up to snuff. Should be since I'm perfectly happy with T-Mo right now and their coverage is so similar.

    Palm has a great market position with the Treo and it's a wonderful concept, just not a good execution. They can turn it all around with one simple step: a superior Palm operating system. Linux based? Something rising from the ashes that was once Cobalt? Franken-Garnet can't give us the capabilities available with other smartphones. Maybe they've finally gotten it stable with 5.4.9, but it's showing it's age. No multi-tasking, which means it can't take advantage of 3G networks, and that's a killer all by itself. I will spare everyone a rehash of the WiFi debate, but enough folks want this in their phones to make it look like a killer feature. The iPhone will have it and manage the transition from cellular to WiFi automatically. If Palm can deliver an OS that does this then they can turn it around. As it stands now, it looks grim.
  3. ohbw's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    The sad thing, IMHO, is that Palm HAD an opportunity in the Smartphone market to be what Apple is to the MP3 player space (ie: dominant and untouchable) and kick M$'s tail in the process. Too bad they squandered it with this "imperial" attitude they seem to have.
    Exactly. That's what kills me about this whole subject -- the Treo was a quantum leap if ever there was one. My 180 was the coolest and most useful gadget I'd ever seen, back there in the 20th century! (I miss the sound of that flip lid slapping shut...) They were so far out ahead of the curve they should've never been caught -- should have been, in your words, dominant and untouchable. But there's no future in abusing customers and, I'm inclined to agree, little future for Palm. Time will tell.
    Brian
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Palm has a great market position with the Treo and it's a wonderful concept, just not a good execution. They can turn it all around with one simple step: a superior Palm operating system.
    Not for me, if it requires purchase of a new phone. I'm a relatively new 700p owner, and I don't have any major complaints. However, when I want to check out an operating system, I clear out a partition and install the sucker...I don't buy new hardware

    If serious OS upgrades occur, Palm/Sprint/Verizon et al better issue them as a firmware upgrade for users of "modern" hardware (650/700) - If not, I'm gone when it's upgrade time.
  5. #25  
    Umm..not to bust anyone's bubble but THERE IS AN IPHONE SECTION! It's bad enough having "discussions" over this still vaporware (until it's completely finished who knows what exactly it will be) that descend into namecalling,but this is the TREO 680 thread..can we have some degrees of separation please?! I'm sure a mod could move this and everyone be happy...just like to be able to come to the 680 thread and talk about it and not the iPhone....
  6. ohbw's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
       #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    Umm..not to bust anyone's bubble but THERE IS AN IPHONE SECTION! It's bad enough having "discussions" over this still vaporware (until it's completely finished who knows what exactly it will be) that descend into namecalling,but this is the TREO 680 thread..can we have some degrees of separation please?! I'm sure a mod could move this and everyone be happy...just like to be able to come to the 680 thread and talk about it and not the iPhone....
    It's not an iPhone thread. It's a Palm-deserves-to-die-a-slow-and-painful-death-for-very-good-reasons thread!

    And part of the reason it's here is that smart people who are shopping look in here before they buy, and have every right to be well informed by experienced users. I speak as the owner of four Treos who can't go on any longer because Palm is such a bad company. I'm trying to save some other folks the headaches, just as I'd hope they'd do for me.
    Brian
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw View Post
    It's not an iPhone thread. It's a Palm-deserves-to-die-a-slow-and-painful-death-for-very-good-reasons thread!

    And part of the reason it's here is that smart people who are shopping look in here before they buy, and have every right to be well informed by experienced users. I speak as the owner of four Treos who can't go on any longer because Palm is such a bad company. I'm trying to save some other folks the headaches, just as I'd hope they'd do for me.
    well fair enough..but as it's so general what about the ppl who own the 700p/wx? or 650? they're missing out ..not to mention that it HAS descended into an "iPhone is better/no it's not" hoopla along the way...such a thread is probably better served being started in the general Treo forum (or the new iPhone one) rather than in a specific model thread like this?! Perhaps it's time for the "Palm must Die" sub-forum....
  8. ohbw's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
       #28  
    Yes, it's true, the wider world deserves to hear these denunciations! Billboards, I'm thinking.

    Sorry, it started out as a spontaneous rant because of the new threads about the would-be so-called putative patch for the battery. Then it became hard to ignore certain comments, like the suggestion that Apple's only contribution to the field is the perusal of album covers. I just paid $299 to take a giant leap sideways from the 650 to the 680 -- after two years of development! -- and I for one am looking forward to some progress on the Ultimate Portable Personal Gizmo front. I'll go out for dinner with my beloved and shut up now...
    Brian
  9. #29  
    ohbw, i loved the post. why? because i'm perhaps one of the biggest if not the biggest haters of Palm given their absolute mediocrity in the area of product design, implementation, and technological advancement. they keep giving us the same bland, heavy, unchanged (oh wow! no antenna!) pieces of crap year in and year out. i have owned them all (yes, both palm and wm o.s.) and i think they all suck in that you can find so many other devices nowadays that offer the same product feature sets without the resets, battery problems, heaviness, and the like. consumer america is finally starting to wake up, hec, this website even has NON-TREO forums which continue to grow both in number, posts and views. why? there are a lot of people around here that are starting to feel like the two of us if not many more. the treo product threads are full of "hey, need to fix this...hey, can you help me with this program....hey, my phone won't turn on....hey, what's the latest battery life trick..."; they are countless in number which point directly to what is truly wrong, and that is Palm. Palm had it nice without so much competition and now the competition is not only growing but outpacing them with innovative new products that they only wish they could dream up.

    Palm is dumb.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  10. #30  
    How many people on this forum have stuck with Palm as their mobile OS of choice because it has historically played (sort of) nice with their Macs. With the arrival of the iPhone in June this sort of compromise will no longer be necessary.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    How many people on this forum have stuck with Palm as their mobile OS of choice because it has historically played (sort of) nice with their Macs. With the arrival of the iPhone in June this sort of compromise will no longer be necessary.
    I've stuck with Palm for ONE reason only, and that's because the apps I use only run on PalmOS.

    A bigger problem in breaking the "Palm dependency" is for decent desktop apps to come out that sync w/"way-cool-spiffy-new-device-OS", whatever that winds up being. (I HATE Outlook, for instance, so use things that allow me to avoid it as much as humanly possible).
  12. #32  
    ^Correct, PalmBear.....3rd party apps and dependancy.....i'm not sure if the camps are divided but you will find many who say "3rd party apps let me customize my phone to my needs" and many others who say "i need 3rd party apps because those that come with the phone are worthless." in the end, and as you say, either consumer has money and time spent on these programs which make it harder for them to switch to anything else. many Treo owners around here are "hobbyists" whose devices become science projects if you will; they are not the typical or average user. Up to a few years ago it was the device of choice, now there are many more. When i look around today it's no longer "hey, what Treo do you own" rather than "hey, what new device is that?"

    Palm and its products are mediocre in my eyes.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  13. #33  
    I don't have that many apps that correct for Palm bugs so much as that add functionality that ANY smartphone does not and will not have: foreign language dictionaries, tide charts, restaurant and city guides, GPS, and I suppose a hundred more. The only apps that correct for what might be a Palm bug is the volume problem, which is one bug. I also have a function which allows me to turn the keyboard lights off. But that is not a bug, but a convenience that Palm didn't give to the user. I am confident that any smartphone made by any manufacturer is going to have those kinds of choices made by designers over which users might want a different form of control. I think I've made it pretty clear that I think Palm sucks in (almost?) every way, but this particular criticism is, I think, misdirected because it would apply to any and all smartphones. What is more, if I have to credit Palm with something, the fact that it is the Palm OS means other designers are more able and likely to have designed something I might want to add (as opposed to something that cures a manufacturer screwup).
  14. #34  
    I think one reason folks stick with Palm, warts and all, is because they can't find something else that does so many of the things Palm does as well as Palm does. There are better email devices out there, better phones out there, better camera phones out there, etc. But where can you find them all in one package? The closest thing I've found, and I have scoured the earth, is the Blackberry. The Pearl is the first model from RIM that has expandable storage. Pretty good device, but what it lacks sent me back to the Treo:
    1. Calendar view. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, who else but Palm gives you the kind of week-at-a-glance view (with DateBk5) that I cherish?
    2. Camera on the Pearl does not take video clips. It's not a killer feature, but it is one I've found handy on more than one occasion.
    3. SureType keyboard of the Pearl doesn't compare to the qwerty keyboard on the Treo. It's not bad, but the Treo's is still better.
    4. Dedicated Blackberry Data Plan. On my Treo my tzones at $4.99/month gives me everything I need - email, web browsing, Google Maps, etc. If you want any kind of data service on a Blackberry you need a data plan specifically for the Blackberry. $30/month and up, depending on your carrier.
    5. If you really want to get the features that make a Blackberry so special then you need to be on a corporate BES. I used mine on BIS, and while it still got my email, etc, the wireless syncing with my desktop wasn't there. And that's the stuff that makes Blackberries so special.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    1. Calendar view. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, who else but Palm gives you the kind of week-at-a-glance view (with DateBk5) that I cherish?
    Isn't that what the WM today screen is all about (without being cluttered up by Palm's software of course).

    Surur
  16. #36  
    No Surer,
    Palm's week at a glance screen is one that I miss dearly. The today screen is O.k. but doesn't show concise, clear, categorical time slots used and open like palm's OS Wek at aglance does and which can be enhanced using Datebk5.

    Palm os does a nice "today" screen (agenda) but WM5's version of week at a glance is NOT as easy or quick to read.

    I am forcing myself to learn to use the WM5 because the device I have now (HP 6925) has so far been superior to the Treo in battery power, reception, clarity, volume and connectivity.

    But there are many features of the Palm software and screen resolution that I miss.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  17. #37  
    I may be out in left field on this... but the iphone and the Treo? Isn't that a bit like Apples and oranges (so to speak)?

    I need a Treo to access POS based 3rd party apps which help me do my job, coordinate my calender through an interace at work... etc. It's a "work phone" really.

    My sense of the iphone is that it really is a teenager's dream phone with a heavy emphasis on Media. Is it really a phone geared to the workplace?

    Arguing about which is better seems pointless. If it's right for you, great. If not, that's okay too. There is a phone in the market for everyone. If it's not the Treo, move on.
  18. #38  
    Being the Mac gal that I am, I had 6 people I know ask me last week if I was going to get an iPhone!! Coincidently, it was also the week I received my Treo 680.

    As much as love Macs, the only iPods I've ever owned are Shuffles, because they are small and go exercising and work with iTunes for my car's audio system.

    I can watch movies on Palm, I can listen to podcasts on Palm, etc. Plus, I wanted one device, not 2 or 3 to do it.

    I have had some Palm thing since 97. By now, I own tons of 3rd party apps. I have a couple of those old 90's apps on my new Treo that I bought and still work.

    I think Palm is dead ending. Apparently, so does Tmobile. This will probably be my last Palm. Not because I've had any trouble with Palm the company. I just agree with others here that they have let the parade pass them by.

    Within 2 years, Apple will use all their momentum of the iPod, so that your iPod is the phone.

    http://www.geocities.com/fiona5447xx...tion_faces.gif


    http://www.airamericaplace.com/board...fault/rofl.gif
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw View Post
    ...........Eat my shorts, Palm. You'll never see another dollar from me, and I'll likely continue to badmouth you every chance I get. You really, really, really earned it.
    Brian, please do not restrain yourself; tell us what you really think.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Apple products - my wife just purchased an Apple lap top of some description and asked me to do a few things with it - I set it up on the home network and played with Safari and was not in the least impressed with it or the other features I saw. Good luck.
    Ben
    I only know one thing about Safari, just one. It is not Blazer. That is enough to recommend it to me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions