Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was relating the story of the palm cradle to a colleague. This person responded that it seemed "criminal" to them for palm to realease a new phone that does not work with the old cradle. What could be the reason for the change ?

The fact that rev-c versions of the black cradle are acceptable indicates to me that palm was trying to correct something that was incorrect upon initial release.

At the least, they could offer a discount on replacement cradles. The fact that the T650 did not come with a cradle means that thousands of us purchased one or two cradles in addition to the cost of our PDA/Cellular units.

Moooo. I am a cash cow for Palm... Moo!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Heaven forbid a company release a product that isn't compatible with OLD products.....

How DARE they release a slimmer and skinnier phone.
    How DARE they make improvements that might make OLD accessories not work with the new product.

Innovation means making NEW things....if everything had to be backward compatible, we'd still be syncing our Treos with 9600bps serial ports and.

Quit your crying.
    Its 'cool' when a product will work with all of the old accessories, not a requirement. I suppose Palm should give you free money to pay for the 650 case you had that won't fit now, or hell, why not complain that your Palm III apps won't work on the Treo, right?

/ancker
    I agree that companies shouldn't be held to making new products backwards compatible, but I would have wanted a much more prominent disclosure of this fact. This sort of thing certainly enters into people's buying decisions.
    What do you mean? It was perfectly clear. It was on thier website, right?
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    Heaven forbid a company release a product that isn't compatible with OLD products.....

How DARE they release a slimmer and skinnier phone.
    How DARE they make improvements that might make OLD accessories not work with the new product.

Innovation means making NEW things....if everything had to be backward compatible, we'd still be syncing our Treos with 9600bps serial ports and.

Quit your crying.

/ancker
    Jeepers, the 680 is so similar to the 650 ! Same processor, same form factor, same radio type. The two are remarkably similar. The only difference is the increased RAM and the lack of an antenna. One might reasonably assume the cradle (which is extra in cost) would be reusable. Does that not figure in your purchase decision or do you just dole out the dollars without any question whatsoever ?

The intensity of your response leads me to believe that you are a palm employee or something. I am not one of these fanatics that are saying: "No more palms for me, ever!"

That is not me. I just think palm is not being very scrupulous with our dollars and time. That is all.
    So does this mean I can't use my 270 cradle on my 680? No wonder it wasn't charging!!! I feel totally ripped off.
    Does anyone know if the third party cradles from Brando for the 650 are compatible with the 680?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I'm not sure that the original poster was saying something like "Why is the paddle from my canoe not compatible with my nuclear submarine". Palm has touted the standard of their connector for the Treos since the release of the 650. On their website now, a search for Treo 680 cradles in accessories brings you to the following page.

[URL="http://web.palm.com/products/Product.jhtml?id=80022&cat=390011"]

To quote the compatibility list at the bottom of the page

Compatible with: Treo 700p, Treo 700w, Treo 700wx, Treo 680 and Treo 650 smartphones only

This page would imply that cradles that fit the Treo 650 would also fit the other models listed, but I can tell you from my own experience that this is not the case. I have outlined my woes with a series of aftermarket Hands Free Car Kits for my Treo 650, in another thread

[URL="http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=134368"]

which culminated in a great solution eventually, namely a Carcomm Treo 650 DSP Hands Free Car Kit from mobileplanet.com which worked briliantly with my in car stereo and Tom Tom Navigator 5 setup. I foolishly thought this setup would work straight away with my new Treo 680, but I've been informed by Carcomm that the 680 will not work (the microphone doesnt seem to work). Maybe Carcomm are misinforming me? But having read some of the postings on this forum, I would conclude that the fault probably lies at Palm's door.
    What reason could Palm have had for changing the connections and making so many legacy accessories obsolete. I would refer you to another thread in this forum that seems to sum up Palm's attitude, and the sort of backlash they are now going to be facing with the June release of the iPhone.

[URL="http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=134590"]

How many loyal Palm users who have owned so many Palm OS products since the Palm Pilot, are users in the first place because Palms played (sort of) nice with their Macs. I know of so many myself.

I will not be buying the new Car Kit for my Treo 680 after all, I'll be waiting for the iPhone in June. Will it be perfect? Maybe not, but as we aproach the 6th generation iPod, and the iPhone, have you notice how consistent Apple have been with their connectors?
    Last edited by DaddyMac; 01/19/2007 at 11:45 PM.
    maybe i'm missing something here but last i checked. All treos have same athena connectors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena_Connector

did i miss something.

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarn3rd View Post
    maybe i'm missing something here but last i checked. All treos have same athena connectors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena_Connector

did i miss something.
    This discussion is not about the antenna connector, but about the so called 'universal connector' located at the bottom of your Treo. And I'm also one that can't use the cradle, so on my account, Palm can skip the brand 'universal connector', CAUSE IT ISN'T!
    Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    This discussion is not about the antenna connector, but about the so called 'universal connector' located at the bottom of your Treo. And I'm also one that can't use the cradle, so on my account, Palm can skip the brand 'universal connector', CAUSE IT ISN'T!
    Astra ...i undertand your frustration. but please look at the link again. The universal connector is called ATHENA CONNECTOR. If your device isn't fitting the cradle or charging/syncing then you either got a bad cradle(manufacture defect or you've got a busted connector. take a look at the link i posted above.

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!

did i miss something.
    Johnie Tech, you're one of my favorite people (I got my Crimson 680 from you), but I think you missed the fact that Palm has posted information that some Palm cradles ARE NOT compatible with the 680 and cause battery drain/malfunction and other erratic behavior (background apps running when they're not supposed to, etc.). See this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134495
    Astra ...i undertand your frustration. but please look at the link again. The universal connector is called ATHENA CONNECTOR. If your device isn't fitting the cradle or charging/syncing then you either got a bad cradle(manufacture defect or you've got a busted connector. take a look at the link i posted above.
    No, my cradle is working perfectly, with my Treo 650. However, it is a revision B cradle, from which Palm states that it is incompatible with the 680. So, why on earth do they call it a universal connector?
    No, my cradle is working perfectly, with my Treo 650. However, it is a revision B cradle, from which Palm states that it is incompatible with the 680. So, why on earth do they call it a universal connector?
    Astra, which SKU # of Rev B? If you have 180-10022-01, it doesn't matter whether it's A, B or C, it's compatible. If you have 180-10022-00, then ONLY Rev. C is compatible.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Folks, you need to go back and reread CAREFULLY. All revision B cradles are compatible with the Treo 680. SOME of the Revision A cradles (all of which were crap in my opinion) have problems with the 680. I picked up a rev B shortly after I bought my 680 and have had no problems. The problem was with the internals of the rev A cradle, not with the connector
    Quote Originally Posted by ediamond View Post
    Folks, you need to go back and reread CAREFULLY. All revision B cradles are compatible with the Treo 680. SOME of the Revision A cradles (all of which were crap in my opinion) have problems with the 680. I picked up a rev B shortly after I bought my 680 and have had no problems. The problem was with the internals of the rev A cradle, not with the connector

That's NOT what it says. SKU 180-10022-00 Rev A and Rev B are not compatible, but Rev C is. SKU 180-10022-01, regardless of SKU, is compatible. All Rev C cradles, or cradles with SKU 3198WWZ, are compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Astra, which SKU # of Rev B? If you have 180-10022-01, it doesn't matter whether it's A, B or C, it's compatible. If you have 180-10022-00, then ONLY Rev. C is compatible.
    I own a 180-10022-00 rev B...
    I own a 180-10022-00 rev B...
    Then, unfortunately, you're right and in the same boat as me -- your cradle is not compatible with the 680, according to Palm.
    So what if we have been using incompatible cradles since November with no issues? Does that mean we have been doing damage to our Treos? This is why disclosure would have been nice.....
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    What about the aftermarket cradles? I bought one from here, will cause issues?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast