1.    #1  
    I am getting royally sick and tired of format games. I buy an ebook from PeanutPress, and I have to use THEIR reader. I get a fireviewer video--it won't work with any media player but their's.

Can't we all just get along?
    Hey. I've got 8 megs of RAM. I can't carry 4 zillion readers and 20 media players. Something's gotta go.

So, who should be out of business.

=====Active Sky
    As a pure media player, it's better than FireViewer. The screen depth is better. It seems more elegant. But except for the screen depth issue, the diff is not great.

============Albums to Go
    Has a nice slideshow feature.

Con: Doesn't let you zoom in as with FireViewer.

=======FireViewer
    As a video player, lack of screen depth is an issue, but I hear they will address this soon.

As a photo viewer, it would be nice to regain the slideshow feature.

The most important thing to its advantage however....it comes with FireConverter which lets you take any video from anywhere, or photo, compress same and download to your Visor. This allows more flexibility.

So, if I have to choose, and perhaps I do...I guess Albums to Go and Active Sky go bye-bye?

Any disputing my logic?
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    I have been going through trying to pick a graphics viewer package for my VDX, and I wound up choosing FireViewer for the exact reasons you state. The movie piece doesn't interest me at the moment (How many videos can I really expect to fit in 8MB of mem, and how "viewable" will they really be?)as that isn't what I bought my VDX for. I do like the converter, and have found it handy for pulling a couple of pics onto my VDX (a map being one of them). It is another flexible tool in trying to go paperless. (Hmmmm. I see an idea for a VC article here. )
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
  3.    #3  
    Ah. But Albums to Go also will let you point to any picture on your hdd and convert it, and sync it.

If you're just interested in pix (and I agree that's the bigger issue), it's not as complicated. Then the issue is: do you want FIreViewer's zoom in capability vs Album to Go's slideshow capability.
    Splash Photo:
    http://www.splashdata.com/products/

MGI PhotoSuite: (This one comes bundled with the new Palm m505)
    http://www.mgisoft.com/photo/photosu...alm/matrix.asp

-Eric
    Good point. Actually it was the zoom feature that I really liked about FireViewer. Being able to start at an overview, and zoom in on the section I want is fantastic. For what I use it for (maps, diagrams, etc.) the slide show feature isn't that much use for me. Don't get me wrong, it would be a nice feature to have, I just don't miss it. Besides, if I really want slide show capability, I'll get a Presenter-to-go.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Album to go 2.0 support zooming.
    Try it!
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    perhaps I am missing something, but I can't imagine there being a contest between fireviewer and albumtogo - I have a VDx and the color depth on ATG is *terrible*.

I love all the features of ATG, but until the pictures look nice, I have to go with fireviewer.

(Is some ATG folks reading this? B&W users want resolution too! Handsprings can do so much more than your product will allow!)
  8.    #8  
    Geez. I can't imagine what you're talking about. I find ATG much better at color depth and things display better.

What I like best about FireViewer is the control--I can convert anything, compress, determine grayscale or color....but ATG is better as a picture viewer, slightly, and ActiveSky is better as a media player--slightly.

I still give FV the nod, and as noted, new versions improve color depth. Are you sure you're using the latest ATG
    I downloaded SplashPhoto 2.0, ATG 2.0 and FireViewer 5.2 on my Platinum. The pictures show up the same. Out of the three, FireViewer takes the most memory and currently does not support CF (can't move picture to my CF yet). I am not sure if pictures loaded for SplashPhoto or ATG could be moved to CF back & forth (any comment?)

I am going to try MGI viewer this weekend.
    Originally posted by SpeakerCoach
    I downloaded SplashPhoto 2.0, ATG 2.0 and FireViewer 5.2 on my Platinum. The pictures show up the same. Out of the three, FireViewer takes the most memory and currently does not support CF (can't move picture to my CF yet). I am not sure if pictures loaded for SplashPhoto or ATG could be moved to CF back & forth (any comment?)

I am going to try MGI viewer this weekend.
    Don't know about MGI (I have it, haven't tried it yet). Splashphoto will allow you to move photos to a flash ram SB and view the pics.
    I installed MGI Mobile Edition over the weekend. Loaded the pictures, the quality is about the same as ATG 2.0 and SplashPhoto on the VPL. Now, it is down to SplashPhoto and ATG 2.0 (which is free) and FireViewer. Hmmm! more decisions ...
  12. MPM
    Originally posted by emeyer
    Splash Photo:
    http://www.splashdata.com/products/

MGI PhotoSuite: (This one comes bundled with the new Palm m505)
    http://www.mgisoft.com/photo/photosu...alm/matrix.asp

-Eric
    I tried PhotoSuite over the weekend. I was very dissapointed because it will not display images in 16 grays on a Visor Deluxe. It uses 4 grays which yields a terrible looking picture.

Fireviewer seems like my only choice here, but I really, really hate that it accumulates ALL the images on my Visor into one HUGE database. Copying that database to and from CF storage is also a huge pain.
    MPM,

Could you tell me what is the filename of the Fireviewer db that can be moved to CF card? Thanks.
    MPM,

Could you tell me what is the filename of the Fireviewer db that can be moved to CF card? Thanks.
    You can't move the Fireviewer DB to a CF or Flash SB. Every time you sync your Visor, Fireviewer updates the DB.
    Album to Go's database is also a pain to move over.. What i do now is just move the whole damn thing..program, associated files and all.
  16. MPM
    MPM,

Opps. I kinda spoke out of turn here...I haven't really tried to move the Fireviewer databases to/from my CF card yet. I made my statement based upon reading many other posts about people trying to do it. I believe it can be done, but you have to use the correct version of the FAFileMover software and follow some very specific steps. I'm going to try it out sometime. It's likely to be a major pain.

I'm also going to try and see if I can keep all my images as separate databases on the CF card. When I move them to RAM and run Imageview it will then "accumulate" them into the one huge-*** database. I'll have to try and keep deleting images out of the Fireviewer RAM database after I'm done with them to keep my Hotsync backup time reasonable. It will limit me to one way transfers - CF to Visor RAM - but for the occational viewing of images this might be acceptable.
    Originally posted by MPM

Opps. I kinda spoke out of turn here...I haven't really tried to move the Fireviewer databases to/from my CF card yet. I made my statement based upon reading many other posts about people trying to do it. I believe it can be done, but you have to use the correct version of the FAFileMover software and follow some very specific steps. I'm going to try it out sometime. It's likely to be a major pain.

I'm also going to try and see if I can keep all my images as separate databases on the CF card. When I move them to RAM and run Imageview it will then "accumulate" them into the one huge-*** database. I'll have to try and keep deleting images out of the Fireviewer RAM database after I'm done with them to keep my Hotsync backup time reasonable. It will limit me to one way transfers - CF to Visor RAM - but for the occational viewing of images this might be acceptable.
    Unless firepad has changed how their DB works, there is no separating it into pieces and once you move it off the main memory, your next hotsync will create a new Fireviewer DB.

Firepad themselves say that you can't do it (I've asked). Their response to the question was that it can't right now, but you might be able to in the next major release (I presume that means v6).