1.    #1  
    Im sorry to say this, but the 700p is the last palm device i will ever buy. Reasons...

1. No OS update in years
    2. Crashing on software that worked the revision before (650p SMS)
    3. No firmware update for far too long
    4. Random crashing
    5. Everyone at palm loving to blame 3rd party apps
    6. Palms answer to everything "do a soft reset, or a hard reset"
    7. Camera takes worse pictures than the .3mp the phone before it (horrible low light)
    8. Grime gets stuck underneath plastic to glass meeting point causing erratic touchscreen performance
    9. iPhone
    10. Blackberry Camera Phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by areyouwishing View Post
    Im sorry to say this, but the 700p is the last palm device i will ever buy. Reasons...

1. No OS update in years
    4. Random crashing
    7. Camera takes worse pictures than the .3mp the phone before it (horrible low light)
    8. Grime gets stuck underneath plastic to glass meeting point causing erratic touchscreen performance
    9. iPhone
    1. Feels that long, doesn't it.
    2. yeah, simple apps/games, cause problems.
    3. see Number 1
    4. I am avoiding this by keeping a good amount of software I have off of the device. Not a suggestion at all, just what I am doing.
    5. that, and 680 update already released and nothing for us.
    6. like desktop support for Windows, reboot.
    7. 1.3 MP my bootie. same quality my old 600.
    8. well, i don't have this problem. I usually try to use those dust blowers to clean the phone. do this gently, don't just force it.
    9. Definitely jumping on this assuming 3G comes out right away, otherwise I will wait for the 3G model.
    10. Almost went to the 8703E (VZW) since they are stable (I have an 8700c from work, so I have first hand experience.). Even with 15 third party apps, the BB works great.
    Call me a fangirl, but I still love mine despite the problems. I actually haven't had very many at all. Minimal lagging, nearly NO random resets, etc. And I have 80+ apps/hacks installed. I guess I think of it like a child- I wouldn't give my child up for adoption just b/c she had a disability or something, I'd be patient & try to help her get better. Maybe I'm too soft, but I'm still faithful to Palm.

However, I am POed about the 680 getting an update before we do.
    See below the comments toward the middle - a different way of answering.

Quote Originally Posted by areyouwishing View Post

1. No OS update in years

It still works well and for most users accomplishes the task.

Not a problem here.

I agree - it needs to be fixed.

4. Random crashing

Not a problem on mine. I have spent a bit of time on memory
    configuration.

The problem is when you have so many developers doing their
    thing and each doing it a bit differently, no device can handle
    everything.

It works though most of the time, just do not reload with the
    last backup.

It may not be great, but there are worse out there. I did not
    purchase it for the camera function and frankly would not miss
    its absence.

The nature of the beast - happens to all of them.

9. iPhone

Not in the same league. iPhone - something for the kids, not
    the real world of work.

My wife has had to Blackberry devices and finds the 650 to
    be superior. She can edit Word and Excel documents on the
    650, not the Blackberry. More programs, et cetera.

Palm PDAs have served me well for 11 years now. My next will be the Palm/Linux OS Treo 900P, or whatever number they give it.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Well, after almost a decade using the Palm OS, I am saying good bye to the old girl and moving on. If Palm manages to bring the OS into the new millenium, I wiould love to entertain her again. Good Luck and I am sure I will miss her........ Much like my Olds Delta 88 I learned to drive in. It was a great car, but it was time to move on to better things.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    9. iPhone

Not in the same league. iPhone - something for the kids, not
    the real world of work.
    THANK YOU!!!

This is what I've been saying since the stupid thing was announced. Everybody I know is wetting themselves over the damn thing & I'm sick of hearing it compared to smartphones. The thing is PRETTY and that's all it has over the Treo. It's another sidekick- closed proprietary OS, no expansion, no 3rd-party apps, etc. It will be huge with the "in crowd" & the Paris Hiltons, but anyone who wants to use it for more than showing off will be sorely disappointed in it. And if I'm wrong, may I be horribly crushed from above somehow.
    Why does everyone insist on blaming Palm for the lack of a FW upgrade for the 700p? Palm may have created the device in the first place, but the issue at hand has little to do with Palm and a whole lot to do with the carriers. CDMA carriers here in the US, particularly Verizon Wireless, are in direct control over the design of FW for the mobile devices they offer. This includes official updates, patches, etc. CMDA carriers are notoriously the slowest in adding devices to their lineup and in providing software updates.

Every 700p owner has the right to be totally pissed off, and should be (I know I would!), but would it not make sense for everyone to direct their energy, frustration, and voice in the right direction?
    Skiiilz, misguided and misled as you may be, tell me, how does sprint or VZW design the bluetooth 1.2 on these phones. Get real man, wake up and smell the S*** you are sniffing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Skiiilz, misguided and misled as you may be, tell me, how does sprint or VZW design the bluetooth 1.2 on these phones. Get real man, wake up and smell the S*** you are sniffing.
    I didn't say the carriers design anything, I said they have direct control over the design of the FW, as in the overall FW. The FWs are created, released, and updated at the final decisions of the carriers. If both Verizon and Sprint decide to NOT have Palm release an upgrade/update, then Palm's hands are tied, end of story. Also, if they demand an update from Palm, Palm must comply; this is all part of the agreement.

Look back to previous Treo models and you remember that unlocked/unbranded models always received updates first. That's because there were no carriers involved in the process. No second (and possibly third) parties in the way, no rounds & rounds of testing and delays, no disapproval of updates for undisclosed reasons, no BS; only Palm creating & releasing updates, period, the end.

I'd like to add that simply because you do not agree with this doesn't make it false, nor does it make you're view correct. My suggestion to you is that you tone down your attitude, discuss matters like a human being by showing tact and respect (after all, we're peers here), and do some more research before making assumptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post
    Look back to previous Treo models and you remember that unlocked/unbranded models always received updates first. That's because there were no carriers involved in the process. No second (and possibly third) parties in the way, no rounds & rounds of testing and delays, no disapproval of updates for undisclosed reasons, no BS; only Palm creating & releasing updates, period, the end.
    Not really... the palm TX has a BT issue as well... I contacted palm in oct 05 about the BT issue and the wifi issue.... they said they would issue a correction. They did address the wifi issue in mid-06 (but you have to pay for it -- I did not, I gave them the middle finger)... the BT issue is a non-issue with them. That is on a non-treo hardware device made by palm.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Not really... the palm TX has a BT issue as well... I contacted palm in oct 05 about the BT issue and the wifi issue.... they said they would issue a correction. They did address the wifi issue in mid-06 (but you have to pay for it -- I did not, I gave them the middle finger)... the BT issue is a non-issue with them. That is on a non-treo hardware device made by palm.
    That may be the case with some non -Treo devices, but I'm not talkin' about non-Treo devices. What previously took place in the Treo line of devices, is exactly what I described.

Go read this article: "Palm Responds to Open Letter" http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1016-1.htm

This is straight from the article:

"Here's the short version: Yes, Palm is listening and they were well before I posted the letter on the front page. Yes, they're in a relatively tough position when it comes to communicating about bugs and future updates -- primarily because of their carrier relationships. Despite that, Sinclair does acknowledge these bugs and that Palm is currently working on a ROM update to fix them. Putting a date on this ROM update is tough (for those carrier reasons), but the current target is Q1 2007."