Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Here are three separate solutions to the widely reported battery problems. All of these have been reported in other threads and I am very appreciative to those who have posted.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.) Install the Palm Support Treo 680 Camera Update. The link is: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...eraupdate.html

2.) Check your sync cradle compatibility at the Palm Support Knowledge Library. The Palm Solution ID is 42891. The title is Sync cradle compatibility and battery issues with Treo 680. The link is: http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...Case=obj(42891)

3.) Do a Treo 680 - Battery Reset
    If you encounter poor battery life on your Treo 680 and you have to recharge very often even if not using the Phone function, the issue might have been caused by an incorrect first charging of the device.

Follow the steps below to solve the issue:

1. Connect your Treo to a wall charger.
    2. Remove the battery from the Treo and wait for at least one minute.
    3. Remove the SIM card from the device and wait for another minute.
    4. Put the SIM card AND battery back into the device then let your Treo charge for at least 4 to 6 hours and for this duration:

Do NOT press any key after reinserting the battery.
    Do NOT switch your TREO On or Off either, it will do so automatically after a short time.
    Do NOT enter the SIM card PIN if prompted to do so, just wait!
    After this procedure, which can be performed and repeated any time, you will now dispose of the full charging capacity and the display of the remaining battery power will work correctly.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've done all three and had no issues in the process. It's too early for me to report results. I did discover that the sync cradle from my 650 was incompatible with the 680.
    I hope putting these solutions in one thread proves helpful to you.
    Last edited by nelson1; 01/19/2007 at 12:16 AM.
    --Nelson
    thanks for the info!

I actually dont have a cradle, just a wall charger sync cable from boxware.

Thanks
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    what if I have chatter or other apps that enable phone radio? Do I disable that first?

What do you mean enter SIM PIN number?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    ......What do you mean enter SIM PIN number?
    Some, but not all or even most, SIMs have a PIN number to resist theft or misuse. Normally the SIM will prompt for this PIN on first use after power is applied. This PIN protects the SIM only and should not be considered a substitute for or alternative to a Treo lock code.
    Very solid advice, nelson1, thank you!

I would add a fourth thing, which has been said in many posts already but is worthwhile to repeat here, namely that the battery needs to be topped (fully charged) quite a few times before the battery reaches its full capacity. So no conclusions of the battery life can be drawn after just 3-4 days of usage, two weeks is more realistic.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    what if I have chatter or other apps that enable phone radio? Do I disable that first?
    I would think that it would be best to disable anything that comes on automatically after the battery is reinserted.

For example the first time I reset the battery I had my bluetooth headset nearby and it was on. When the battery was put back in, the 680 automatically paired with the headset. I decided to go through the whole process again with the headset turned off. I don't know if that was necessary...but it made sense to try to eliminate any activity that would hinder a total battery reset.
    --Nelson
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    3.) Do a Treo 680 - Battery Reset
    If you encounter poor battery life on your Treo 680 and you have to recharge very often even if not using the Phone function, the issue might have been caused by an incorrect first charging of the device.

Follow the steps below to solve the issue:

1. Connect your Treo to a wall charger.
    2. Remove the battery from the Treo and wait for at least one minute.
    3. Remove the SIM card from the device and wait for another minute.
    4. Put the SIM card AND battery back into the device then let your Treo charge for at least 4 to 6 hours and for this duration:
    Come on Nelson, how long did it take you dream up this black magic? Do you delight in people following your silly steps and questioning your methods? The device had an errant process that was sucking CPU cycles and burning through an undersized battery. Your step by step instructions do nothing other then waste the user's time. Any benefit seen is a result of the patch, not your steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Come on Nelson, how long did it take you dream up this black magic? Do you delight in people following your silly steps and questioning your methods? The device had an errant process that was sucking CPU cycles and burning through an undersized battery. Your step by step instructions do nothing other then waste the user's time. Any benefit seen is a result of the patch, not your steps.
    Good to see you've been keeping up.. But had you really been, you'd realize that ole Nelson here was quoting the same thing that's on a bunch of other threads, and supposidly officialy from palm.

The basics; recalibrate the battery meter and remove all programs which would cause the Treo to do some activity in order to get the cleanest calibration. But hey, maybe you're right and everyone else is wrong, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Good to see you've been keeping up.. But had you really been, you'd realize that ole Nelson here was quoting the same thing that's on a bunch of other threads, and supposidly officialy from palm.
    Doing my best to keep up, though there's so many witchcraft threads about conditioning, resetting, etc. it's near impossible! I'm sorry, I never saw the official Palm method for resetting the battery on their website. I guess, though, if you're all getting the 300 hours of standby time that the 680 is spec'd then I have egg on my face.
    ..from client feedback, the first solution does the job.

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarn3rd View Post
    ..from client feedback, the first solution does the job.
    I would like to believe that. I have NO 3rd party programs, have owned my 680 since the day it was released and have done the patch and everything. I get 3 hours MAX battery life..........are your clients PALM employee's??
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    I would like to believe that. I have NO 3rd party programs, have owned my 680 since the day it was released and have done the patch and everything. I get 3 hours MAX battery life..........are your clients PALM employee's??
    I did the patch and the charge procedure on saturday. Turned the phone off. Turned it back on this afternoon to find it at 50%. I think that it is not fixed.

You have no 3rd party programs? I bet your treo or the battery is defective, in that case. Get palm to send you a new battery try it out. if it still does the same get the unit exchanged.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    You have no 3rd party programs? I bet your treo or the battery is defective, in that case. Get palm to send you a new battery try it out. if it still does the same get the unit exchanged.
    We'll see what happens, I just completed the steps above. Hopefully I'll see a increase. If not, yes I will have to take it back, this is killing me. I LOVE this phone compared to the 650, but I can't handle the battery life anymore!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    That they are defective is not in question. The question is whether they are better or worse than any other 680 and battery.
    We'll see what happens, I just completed the steps above. Hopefully I'll see a increase. If not, yes I will have to take it back, this is killing me. I LOVE this phone compared to the 650, but I can't handle the battery life anymore!
    Guys! You are Lemmings! This is snake oil! The Palm software fix will help, has helped, whatever. The myriad of hoops that are being proposed for you to jump through here won't do a damn thing. Anyone that says it'll help is either delusional or in on the gag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Guys! You are Lemmings! This is snake oil! The Palm software fix will help, has helped, whatever. The myriad of hoops that are being proposed for you to jump through here won't do a damn thing. Anyone that says it'll help is either delusional or in on the gag.
    Wherever there is mystery, there will be claims of magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ... Nelson here was quoting the same thing that's on a bunch of other threads, and supposidly officialy from palm.
    I've been trying to track this down but can find no mention of this on any Palm site I can find. Does anyone have the link to the Palm statement on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Wherever there is mystery, there will be claims of magic.
    Well said!
    Whatever, something has surely changed. I have never had 20 hours of serious activity, Chatter push constant, weak signals, etc, moderate phone use, all of that on my 650, even though I was really happy to end up with 16+ after I started using the extended batery. Now that I think of it, yesterday's 20+ hours also included downloading the new PTunes app, which was almost 1Mb, took a while, in a really marginal signal area, and even with that I had good results. The only thing I've done from Palm was changing cradles (about which I'm still a bit skeptical) and the camera patch.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast