Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21  
    As far as I'm concerned, if it helps - great. If not, so what? I wasted 2 minutes before going to bed?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if it helps - great. If not, so what? I wasted 2 minutes before going to bed?
    Well... that's a great way to look at it for people who can afford to have their phone off for a night. I've seen this whacked battery reset proceedure in a number of places... and I just can't afford to have the phone off for a whole night. If I could put the SIM into another phone, sure... then I'm only missing my critical email-pages, but I can't even do that.

    I've had the 680 for a week now... and I've resigned myself to it's battery foibles. It seems to be getting better. I've completely killed it a few times and I've charged it from dead both with the wall charger and the USB thingie. I have several USB sync and charge cables that I can take with me, so I'm not entirely stranded, mostly.

    But ... over time, the battery seems to get better. One curious thing I've noticed with battery graph is that after 6 to 8 hours of charging, the voltage dips for an hour or so before returning to the full 4.2V. That seems like strange behaviour, but maybe it's part of some calibration process.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ...Nelson here was quoting the same thing that's ... supposidly officialy from palm.

    ...
    One thing that's clear and verifiable is that the battery out, SIM out, ritual is NOT from Palm. Repeat, NOT from Palm. That should be stated clearly, because otherwise it's not just deceptive, but untrue.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBeeble View Post
    Well... that's a great way to look at it for people who can afford to have their phone off for a night. I've seen this whacked battery reset proceedure in a number of places... and I just can't afford to have the phone off for a whole night. If I could put the SIM into another phone, sure... then I'm only missing my critical email-pages, but I can't even do that.

    I've had the 680 for a week now... and I've resigned myself to it's battery foibles. It seems to be getting better. I've completely killed it a few times and I've charged it from dead both with the wall charger and the USB thingie. I have several USB sync and charge cables that I can take with me, so I'm not entirely stranded, mostly.

    But ... over time, the battery seems to get better. One curious thing I've noticed with battery graph is that after 6 to 8 hours of charging, the voltage dips for an hour or so before returning to the full 4.2V. That seems like strange behaviour, but maybe it's part of some calibration process.
    And your strategy is okay for those who can expect to remain within a wire's length of power, those who make only one or two calls a day, do not use data, and do not get anxious when the battery gets low. Many of us, not to say, most of us, use cell phones for portability. The "battery foibles" of the 680 are not trivial, not foibles.
  5. #25  
    I have installed the camera patch and I am on my second battery for a phone that is only a few weeks old. I still have the battery issues. I will try the steps provided because they simple and I have nothing to lose. I agree with whmurray in that the battery life is critical. The whole point of the device is portability and having to carry an electric cord defeats the functional benefits of the phone. I never had a battery issue with any of my previous Treos (650, 600, 180g). The battery performance is just unacceptable. If I did not have the memory issues with my 650 I would go back. With the 680 I feel I took one step forward and two steps back. I hope there is a way to solve the battery issue with either a new and improved battery or fixing the firmware -- Palm really messed up this one, and should do the right thing for their customers.
  6. rsnadel's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #26  
    One of the problems here is that the 680 is marketed as a consumer tool, not a business tool. At least, that's the impression I've gotten. I'm not suggesting that it makes any of this easier to take, but it may explain why they're able to get away with the smaller battery capacity in this model, and thus the problems of shorter times between charging.
  7. #27  
    No, I would consider that a pretty lame response. What does it mean, after all, to be a consumer not a business phone? Does it mean "battery will not last if you use this much?" Then why say "consumer not business phone" (assuming they did that. which they really didn't). They really owed saying, "this has only approximately one half the battery life of the 650."
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
    One of the problems here is that the 680 is marketed as a consumer tool, not a business tool. At least, that's the impression I've gotten. I'm not suggesting that it makes any of this easier to take, but it may explain why they're able to get away with the smaller battery capacity in this model, and thus the problems of shorter times between charging.
    Well perhaps. Looks to me like they gave up battery life for a lower price. The idea is that consumers are more price sensitive than business users. However, they went so far that they end up with a device that is unusable for either user and that I would not buy at any price.

    Nokia and Motorola customers have longer battery life and lower prices than the 680.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/28/2007 at 05:31 PM.
  9. #29  
    The 680 does not have inherently bad battery life! There are many people (I'm one of them) who get excellent battery life, approaching the specified 300 hours on standby (ie. equal to, or less than, 0.5% per hour). I think these discussion sites attract the people who have problems, and those who find their problems are resolved lose interest and dont come back. Many people have posted reports of excellent performance, but then you dont see much more from them - presumably they are off worrying about other stuff now. Come to think of it, what am I still doing here???

    There have been, and still are, some problems that can trigger more rapid drains on standby. The camera problem was one, now fixed. There are probably some software related problems that are specific to individual users, and there may be a GSM related problem, that is correctable and will hopefully be fixable with a patch from palm. My 680 has experienced these problems, but once I found the cause, they were easy enough to manage. There is alot of good info and tips, and some voodoo too (like the battery out, sim out, click your heels together three times routine that supposedly, but didnt, originate from Palm). If you have crap battery life (standby drain (phone on) of more than 2-3% per hour), then you are probably suffering from a problem with your 680 setup, this is not the best a 680 can do! Have a read of this thread, http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135642 , it may contain some answers to help you get closer to the 0.5% drain per hour that many people have reported over the last couple of months here, and in other discussion sites. I dont promise that you will find the solution here, but it is worth a read if you havent already.
  10. #30  
    I'm sorry but I disagree. Part of what you discussed was essentially (unverified) sociological analysis--the notion that we are all composed of a certain segment. I, for one, would be here, and have for several years, whether I loved or hated the device. I think there are plenty of people here who represent a cross-section, who think that this phone's battery life sucks, from an objective perspective, and I agree with them. There does not seem to be any factual basis for disagreeing. Nobody knows how representative we are or how many leave satisfied (or, more importantly, how many leave, permanently, completely dissatisfied). All we can legitimately deal with are the facts--this phone is underpowered. It has half the power of the 650 and at least equivalent demands, with no greater efficiency. In fact, with its increased memory, it virtually begs for more applications for which there is insufficient power. The notion that idle power is sufficient is in fact unremarkable. As I have posted elsewhere, when I first got this phone, it refused to die--and that was without even a charge! It had no SIM card, no apps, and my wife turned it on and called me every day for a week before she delivered it to me, saying, "this phone just won't turn off!" So the issue is not idle time, but the time you have when you actually USE the damned thing. Then, the insufficient battery power becomes obvious. This phone won't last even half the time with the same demands I made on the 650. And that makes sense, because it has half the power.

    On the other hand, I did discover another potential source of power losss--but I could be wrong about this. This morning, after experiencing a wonderful day yesterday of close to 20 hours battery time, I was down to a projected 12 hours. What could explain that? The only thing I had used this morning that I hadn't yesterday was Google Maps. I could (easily) be wrong, but I think that Google Maps does not turn off, and is constantly updating in the background. I don't know that for a fact, but suspecting it, I did a soft reset, and the battery life shot back up to 16 hours plus, which is what I had hoped for. As I say, I'm not sure of this, but it is possible the some applications, like Google Maps, might continue to use power (sort of like the camera app before the patch) even when you think you've left the program. Just an idea. Perhaps others with better knowledge of the Palm OS can confirm or reject this notion.
  11. #31  
    Come on MDavis, you funny fellow. I know you like a good argument, but firstly, your facts are wrong. The 680 has 2/3rds the battery of the 650 and exaggerating does nothing to help your argument. I think that most people would accept 2/3rds the performance of a 650, if they were getting that (and there are people who do! - I am trying to get an idea of how common this is). Secondly, I agree that there are people here who represent a cross section, but that does not mean there is no bias. I for one, only came looking because I had problems with my 680. It makes perfect sense that this would be a driving factor in getting people to search for sites like this, but I cant prove it, no more than you can prove it is a fair sample of the broader 680 user community. That doesnt make you right by the way. I have had plenty of other phones and electronic devices that I am very happy with, and it never occurred to me to log in to a discussion site and say so.

    You seem to argue that there are no facts to support my views, then you go and say things like "All we can legitimately deal with are the facts--this phone is underpowered. It has half the power of the 650 and at least equivalent demands, with no greater efficiency." This is simply your view, based on the same anecdotal evidence that you claim to dislike! Here is a fact that proves that your generalisation is incorrect. My 680 is not underpowered. It easily lasts 3 days with moderate use. I have seen many other posts with similar claims! I am trying to get more accurate idea about the experience of users in this discussion, so that we can move beyond anecdotal evidence as much as possible.

    Now, lets be friends.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think there are plenty of people here who represent a cross-section, who think that this phone's battery life sucks, from an objective perspective, and I agree with them. There does not seem to be any factual basis for disagreeing....
    I know you have seen the poll results, but its worth linking it here given its relevance to the views of users of this forum. It doesnt prove anything, but it certainly gives you some evidence that many/most users during that snapshot in time were not sharing your view that 'battery life sucks'
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=poll
  13. #33  
    I think if 1/3 of the people say that they have problems (or worse), that's pretty poor. If you add to that the possibility, or probability, that most people don't really use the Palm for much more than a phone and appointments, they wouldn't see the problems inherent to the phone and its design, so it could be worse than 1/3. But 1/3 is pretty bad, if I were selling a product.
  14. #34  
    As a previous t650 user, I could get 3 day before recharge with b/tooth on. now with the t680 i could get 2 days before recharge with b/tooth on. this works according to the per potion of battery size.

    The power consumption is about the same for both 650 and 680. its just the size for the battery.
  15. #35  
    Exactly. And for those of us who used the 650 in a substantial way and averaged 14-16 hours per day, that is reduced to less than 12 hours per day. For many, that is unsatisfactory, and probably unnecessary as well, but who knows.
  16. #36  
    Since I don't own a Treo 750...and am unlikely to because I don't really like the Windows M5 OS...and don't frequent the 750 Hardware forum, I was wondering if 750 users are experiencing the same battery-life issues as many of the 680 users are? I believe they use the same smaller/slimmer battery, do they not?

    I would be interested to know if this problem is a hardware issue per se, or is more common to the Palm OS than the Windows one...or if that has any bearing at all.
  17. #37  
    I've been reading a lot of these battery threads and now it's time to weigh in. I have a 680 and it's my very first Palm. The company office wanted me to have it so I could see emails more often.

    You see, I live in China. We have a 13 hour time difference so they like me to be able to read emails in the middle of my night. So, now I have the unlocked 680.

    I have no idea what battery life should be expected. Bluetooth, IR, auto-time are all off. The camera patch was installed. Good Messaging is running non-stop (push email from the US). I get 40-50 SMS per day but only 1 or 2 phone calls (10-20 minutes). I've done the battery/SIM card out while plugged in procedure. I've done the let drain till non-functioning then charge procedure. I've charged at home with the supplied charger. I've charged at work with the USB cord.

    Bottom line: If I wake up at 6 in the morning and go to sleep at 10 at night, the battery is sufficient. If I go out after work and get to sleep around 2:00 am, the battery is not.

    2-3% drain per hour with Good Messaging turned off. 5-6% drain with Good Messaging turned on.

    I will say, it is a little bit irritating to have to worry if I can get through the whole day without needing to charge the phone.

    Yokie Kuma
  18. #38  
    Yes, that is my situation exactly. Within the 16 hour window or so, it's very nice. If you go outside it, or if you happen to use energy intensively on a particular day--lots of calls, internet, maybe attachments on email (my problem today,which pulled what looks like roughly 4 hours off my potential battery life for the day), problems sending--then you can be closer to 12-14 hours, and that is just too short.It's a matter of convenience. You ought to have enough to give you a safe margin so you're never worried about being stranded. This phone doesn't give you that security.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Yes, that is my situation exactly. It's a matter of convenience. You ought to have enough to give you a safe margin so you're never worried about being stranded. This phone doesn't give you that security.
    Yup. Don't want to worry about if your phone is functional or not.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think if 1/3 of the people say that they have problems (or worse), that's pretty poor. If you add to that the possibility, or probability, that most people don't really use the Palm for much more than a phone and appointments, they wouldn't see the problems inherent to the phone and its design, so it could be worse than 1/3. But 1/3 is pretty bad, if I were selling a product.
    Goodness gracious me. Are you doing this on purpose? Since when is 25% equal to a third? It really doesnt help your argument to exaggerate like that. And if you consider that there will certainly be a bias towards people who are having problems with there 680s, it is probably significantly lower. You would at least have to admit that it is more likely that there is a bias towards, rather than away from people who have had problems... But even if there is no bias, my point was that your strong dissatisfaction is seemingly not shared by 75% of the people here. I agree, there are some problems, but I disagree that this simply reflects the limitations of this device. I think the problems can be sorted out, but they wont get sorted out by grumbling about what is wrong.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions