Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Guys,

I just read the news that Palm released an update for the 680, that fixes some camera battery draining problem. OK, good, I am happy for 680 owners who are now truly enjoying their 680's long promised battery life.

Now, how long has the 680 been out? 1-2 months? OK, and the 700p has been out like, since June last year? How many months is that? And despite all of that extra time, there's still no update available for the 700p. A 700p with crappy Bluetooth, skips/stuttering, lags and freezes... the list goes on.

OK, it is late at night and who knows? maybe tomorrow morning I'll wake up to the news that Palm also released a 700p update... oh who am I kidding? The 700p got the shaft once the 680/750 came out. And to think I upgraded my still very usable 600 for what I considered a very promising and solid device from Palm...

Oh 700p, I hate to love you and in days like these, I love to hate you... please don't leave me!
    i thought the exact same thing waldo15...

where's da patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Guys,

I just read the news that Palm released an update for the 680, that fixes some camera battery draining problem. OK, good, I am happy for 680 owners who are now truly enjoying their 680's long promised battery life.

Now, how long has the 680 been out? 1-2 months? OK, and the 700p has been out like, since June last year? How many months is that? And despite all of that extra time, there's still no update available for the 700p. A 700p with crappy Bluetooth, skips/stuttering, lags and freezes... the list goes on.

OK, it is late at night and who knows? maybe tomorrow morning I'll wake up to the news that Palm also released a 700p update... oh who am I kidding? The 700p got the shaft once the 680/750 came out. And to think I upgraded my still very usable 600 for what I considered a very promising and solid device from Palm...

Oh 700p, I hate to love you and in days like these, I love to hate you... please don't leave me!
    These are my sentiments exactly, when I read about this on MTDN and treocentral, I couldn't believe it. The 680's barely been out, WTF......I mean seriously:

WTF Palm?

Why the heck does the 680 get updated for a small battery/camera drain problem, and the 700p users have to sit tight for 8 months with issues such as the PHONE REBOOTING ON AN INCOMING CALL WITH A BT HEADSET CONNECTED? Where are you priorities palm? It seems like fixing an issue regarding phone functionality is more critical than a camera power drain bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Guys,

I just read the news that Palm released an update for the 680, that fixes some camera battery draining problem.

Now, how long has the 680 been out? 1-2 months?
    Aw, what the heck, I'll chime in, too...

I guess this indicates the firmware doesn't HAVE to take about a year to be fixed as Palm has previously indicated.... (ok, 2Q 2006-1Q 2007 isn't a year, but close enough).

Either Palm is spending all their time and attention on the WinceMob phones, or Sprint/Verizon take 6x-12x the amount of time to "test" firmware fixes, and/or we've been fed a bunch of malarkey about why the 700p will nearly be out of warranty by the time we get our first firmware fix for the thing...

I get the sense that Palm just doesn't have the will to put much energy into the highly successful FrankenGarnet - figuring we'll eventually surrender and take a big steaming pile of WinceMob in our Treos.

Hey Palm - we get it.... Windows on the Treo is available. And, you're probably selling a few. But, in spite of everyone knowing the M$ name, you've sold more than a few PalmOS Treos to people who are completely happy with its simplicity and functionality (and thousands of $$$ invested in software over the past 10 years). So would you please either keep on top of the support for the PalmOSalp Treo, and/or give some vulture capital to Handera so they can come back into the fray and give you a little competition again?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Man did you guys/gals get the shaft. Hope they provide help for you soon.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I have a 700 and I too would like to see a patch to improve my Treo. I think that it's not fair to compare the 680 and the 700 though. The 680 had a problem with software not shutting down properly, and draining the battery at an excessive rate. This was happening on ALL the 680's. The issues that plague the 700's aren't universal as some people report issues with their bluetooth, and others don't. Some reset all the time, while others never do. About the only thing that is universal is the apparent lag, and even that seems to differ from user to user.

Can anyone confirm that the 680 doesn't have the same lag issues as the 700p?
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Looks like the 700p is turning out to be the ******* child of this generation of phones....

This is a bad sign... a bad sign that the issues with the 700p are more grounded in the hardware, and can not be so easily fixed. The lessons Palm learned with the 700p is probably why the 680 has apparently been so troublefree. It's starting to look like Palm is hoping if they let it slide quietly into the smartphone history books that we'll forget the 700p and move on to better things.

I'd really like to say that I'll probably use this as one more excuse to look at the iPhone, but at the same time I honestly have to admit that the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to switch to Cingular, get crappy service and pay twice as much for a slower data connection.
    Um... guys.... might want to cool the jets. This was *NOT* a firmware update. It's a single file patch. Once installed if a 680 needs a hard reset, the file patch must be re-applied.

Now, that said, yeah it kind of sucks that the 700P has gone so long w/o a good software update. But don't get into thinking that this camera fix is anything more than just a patch. And we don't even really know yet whether it really fixes the problem.

In other interesting news, it seems that additonal power consumption and charging problems could result in using an incompatible cradle with the 680. But wait! Cradles from plam for the 650 and 700 may also be incompatible! *sigh* Palm... you really should be more on the ball than that. But I mention here to suggest that, again, firmware updates aren't always the answer.

I'll keep hoping for a 700P firmware update for you guys. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy my non-WM infested hardware.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    The reality is, they are never going to fix the 700P. Welcome to corporate America, folks.

There are too many things wrong with the 700P and Palm is not going to take steps backwards to fix 'yesterday's device'. Sorry. Besides, in Palm's eyes, they HAVE already fixed the 700P - it's called the 680, the 750 and all of the others that have come out since we bought our 700P's. If Palm had any idea how to fix any of the many problems with the 700P, they would have issued incremental updates - just like this one for the 680 - a long, long time ago. Our own eagerness and greediness funded the development of these newer devices and those who bought the '700 dream' - including myself - were merely stepping stones in Palm's developmental cycle.

So go ahead and exhale that stale fuggin' breath you've been holding because it just isn't going to happen for the 700P crowd. Sorry. Spend your time dreaming about something that could actually happen. Like saving your money for the next dream...

The truth sometimes hurts,

SMEGGIE
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    The reality is, they are never going to fix the 700P. Welcome to corporate America, folks.

There are too many things wrong with the 700P and Palm is not going to take steps backwards to fix 'yesterday's device'. Sorry. Besides, in Palm's eyes, they HAVE already fixed the 700P - it's called the 680, the 750 and all of the others that have come out since we bought our 700P's. If Palm had any idea how to fix any of the many problems with the 700P, they would have issued incremental updates - just like this one for the 680 - a long, long time ago. Our own eagerness and greediness funded the development of these newer devices and those who bought the '700 dream' - including myself - were merely stepping stones in Palm's developmental cycle.

So go ahead and exhale that stale fuggin' breath you've been holding because it just isn't going to happen for the 700P crowd. Sorry. Spend your time dreaming about something that could actually happen. Like saving your money for the next dream...

The truth sometimes hurts,

SMEGGIE

Sounds like a class action suit boiling to me....
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    And that is why I will jump off Palm and get an IPhone. Assuming it comes out with 3G. If it does not at first, then I will wait till the 3G models come out. I will drop VZW in a heartbeat. This thing, albeit, is not causing me the grief that plague some of you, but that is because I decided to hold off installing a lot of the software I got, since it caused too many issues. Now that I am avoiding using memory intensive software, the phone seems not to cause me that many issues. I still can't use Bluetooth, since it sucks. I still get numerous pauses when sending text messages. I still get skips in Pocket Tunes. Much better with 4.01, but still.

So, the 680 gets a camera patch. What, the 700P doesn't deserve to get something to fix Bluetooth, so that people can use their damn headsets, an advertised feature?

F Palm. I am jumping off this crap wagon. I was going to get a Blackberry until the announcement, now I will wait. Palm will find out the hard way. I have 10 co-workers alone, that currently have 700s, and will jump off to get the IPhone once released, and they don't even care about EDGE or 3G, they just want off Palm. I feel that is the sentiment amongst a lot of Palm users.

Bye Palm, unless you can show some significant concern and improvement.
    Dont we have a one year warranty from palm? How about if all who have 700p ask carriers to replace it with whatever and return it? Palm would be forced...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Dont we have a one year warranty from palm? How about if all who have 700p ask carriers to replace it with whatever and return it? Palm would be forced...
    Warranty means that if the unit fails, they will replace with same one, not a different phone.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Is it possible that the 680 fix was (relatively) easier than the fix needed for the 700p? One thing (the speed of the 680 patch) shouldn't have any bearing on the other (the expected 700 patch).
    I'm also going to guess that they have a different team for each product and the success of one group (on presumably an easier issue) might not mean that their isn't a separate group spending time working on the other issue.
    Software updates
    Treo 680 Camera Update
    Palm has identified that the Treo 680 device can experience reduced battery life when the camera is used. Treo 680 users should install the Treo 680 Camera Update to address this issue.
    Last edited by haroldo; 01/19/2007 at 11:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2dxtream View Post
    Sounds like a class action suit boiling to me....

I'll Join!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    warranty mean the they have to keep replacing them if the units wont perform advertised functions like play mp3
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    You guys are being way to harsh. We already got a update on the highly used IR port. You all must forget this because it works flawlessly. Wait... does it work at all? lol
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    e2Chris is right (to an extent).. They didn't get a rom update from what I can see. It just looks like a hotfix like our IR Port update. Chill out. The 680 people are still getting the shaft just like us.. (j/k) Palm is still being consistent..
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Yes, that was exactly my point. There are still plenty of other issues going on for the 680. The power drain was one of the most severe though. That they bothered to put out info and a patch says something, but they really need to work on shortening their firmware delivery cycle. Even the 650 had more firmware releases than the 700P has seen in the same timeframe... and those were full releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Yes, that was exactly my point. There are still plenty of other issues going on for the 680. The power drain was one of the most severe though. That they bothered to put out info and a patch says something, but they really need to work on shortening their firmware delivery cycle. Even the 650 had more firmware releases than the 700P has seen in the same timeframe... and those were full releases.

Okay, but following your logic of patching the most severe problems, the bluetooth on the 700p is perhaps the most severe issue (causing resets on incoming calls with a headset connected, or disconnecting after you hang up, not being connected when you expect it to be, say, while driving, bluetooth randomly turning off, etc etc etc). When was the last time the IR port did any of this? Palm patched the IR (perhaps the most archaic thing on the treo right now that maybe 1% of the treo population actually use). Palm has yet to patch the bluetooth.

Am I wrong? Is bluetooth not as severe a problem as the IR? What about the extreme lag issues? Those aren't as bad as the IR?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast