Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Okay, but following your logic of patching the most severe problems, the bluetooth on the 700p is perhaps the most severe issue. ... Palm has yet to patch the bluetooth. Am I wrong? ...
    I don't disagree at all. But the code that implements bluetooth may actually be firmware and not ROM code. Unfortunately, when we generally refer to an "upgrade" we are often referring to the combination of (radio) firmware and ROM code that Palm pushes for a given release. In the case of bluetooth, the change in radio and BT protocol behavior is likely to require a firmware release. If it were a matter of overriding something in the ROM, then they could certainly provide a file patch.

Unfortunately, Plam seems hell bent on not communicating detail of issues to it's customers. So although all concerned understand there is a BT issue in the 700P, it's not as clear what Plam is expecting to do about it. So far it would appear "nothing" is the appropriate answer.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So angry I was that I forgot about the IR fix. Which by the way to this very day I have to yet use the IR for something Thaks for fixing something that is certainly not very useful as of late. Points given to the comments from e2chris and taroliw though. You guys can keep your cool even under these extreme 700p buggy conditions

But still, the fact remains that the 700p has taken a complete backstage role in Palm's line-up. I don't know, maybe Palm is such a big company that has one team dedicated to support each platform they release, and if so the team dedicated to the 680 got the problem fixed in the blink of an eye (you 680 software engineers at Palm rock!) and now that the problem is solved, can you guys please give us some 700p luv anytime soon?

From Palm's response letter, they stated the update/patch for the 700p would be out and about Q1 of this year. Now, my biggest fear is that what they meant was the patch would be available for the carrier to test in Q1'07... and of course, after carrier certification, one can expect the fix will be available by the end of the year

I am now used to fear every time I use my bluetooth headset somethin ary may happen. I am now used to not rely on my phone since it will freeze in the most critical stages (i.e. receiving a second call while on a previous one), the pseudo-random crashes and resets...

It is a sad smartphone scenario... and with sooo many new devices coming out this year, one seriously considers jumping ship to something else...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Pardon me for being insensitive and maybe I am missing something, but we aren't talking about a major crime or an illness. We're talking about an item that can be easily sold (in one day on eBay) for ~$300 and a replacement (the 650 or 680) can be bought for the same amount. All your installed programs and data will all the same, you'd just switching hardware.
    If you all are so irate, why not get rid of it? It wont cost you anything to switch.

(a pair of tickets to a football game, parking, a hot dog and a few beers costs around $300)
    Last edited by haroldo; 01/19/2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    You guys are being way to harsh. We already got a update on the highly used IR port. You all must forget this because it works flawlessly. Wait... does it work at all? lol
    "highly used IR port"???

Really??? I have never used IR on my 700P and I don't know why I ever would. 'Highly used IR port' is a bit of a stretch, methinks...

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Actually my comment was complete sarcasm. Who the hell uses the IR? Which is why I said does it work at all.

Yes I am still waiting for our ROM update. How does Palm sleep at night with this many pissed off people? Looking over there shoulder all day also. lol
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    I would agree with what you are saying until you take into consideration the amount of coding that is involved to make the change.

From what I read, when the user used the camera, something was not being turned back off and it was draining the battery. I am not sure the amount of coding that would be needed to fix that issue but it sounds fairly easy (thus the hot fix).

Our bluetooth issues are huge in regards to their severity but also in term of the amount of code it is going to take to fix it (my views). We work with bluetooth (not me directly, I code in other areas of the app) here at the company that I work for. Its a pain. There is a lot crammed into its specs and there are so many places to screw up and have it not work right. that doesn't sound like an easy fix (unlike the IR issue or the battery issue).

I still agree that there are issues but I still don't see favoritism with the 680 over the 700p yet.

I use the IR port all the time maybe its just me. I send my wife all sorts of stuff and vise vera.. We both have treo's.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I would think that BT would be simple to fix. Not like they invented it... its a standard thing that has been out for years. They just need to read the BT manual I think.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    SHANANIGANS!

Where's my broomstick?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Pardon me for being insensitive and maybe I am missing something, but we aren't talking about a major crime or an illness. We're talking about an item that can be easily sold (in one day on eBay) for ~$300 and a replacement (the 650 or 680) can be bought for the same amount. All your installed programs and data will all the same, you'd just switching hardware.
    If you all are so irate, why not get rid of it? It wont cost you anything to switch.

(a pair of tickets to a football game, parking, a hot dog and a few beers costs around $300)
    Indeed what the problem would be to ditch the 700p? For one, the software I have spent on the thing has probably matched the cost of a new smartphone (moto Q) or more, also count the extra peripherals are possibly matching the cost of even another new unit. The phone is not a $300 investement, it has become an even more expensive affair.

Why did I then got into buying all the extra stuff when the device is clearly ridden with bugs? Because, somehow, after seeing the 600 and 650 experiences, I trusted Palm. The 650 went from zero to hero when its corresponding patch got released. I am truly hoping the 700p will follow that same path and soon.

So as you can see, the getting-rid-of-it solution is not that viable to me at least. For those Treo owners that got the 700p within the last two months, perhaps now is the time to reconsider. In the past I'd have strongly recommended to stick to your guns and keep the 700p, but not after seeing how the 700p is now somewhat forgotten...

Ah this Palm addiction is becoming the death of me... but being able to watch Youtube videos with Kinoma 4EX is tha'bomb
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Aren't you able to take the software licenses you purchased for the 700p and apply them to the 650 or 680?
    wow.. tough crowd.. <Babel_Fish returns to his Visual Studio>
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Haroldo is giving me a good mind excercise. Downgrading to 650? Here's the take:

• ($$) PDAnet version I have is 700p only
    • ($$) Kinoma 4EX is possible, but won't get the same online experience due to slow 1xRTT from the 650
    • ($$) Outlook conduits for the 650 are a joke, need to buy 3rd party conduits (i.e. Pocketmirror)
    • ($$) Versamail for 650 is a joke too, need to buy Chattermail/Snappermail. For the 700p, Versa gets the job done.
    • ($$) Bejeweled and Solitaire games for the 700p... I don't think they are compatible.
    • ($$) Documents to Go is not free on the 650, it is on the 700p
    • PalmVNC performance also hindered by slow 1xRTT
    • ($$) Slingbox SlingMedia (it's coming out alright!) would be also hurt by the 1xRTT

I highlighted the ones that have direct money impact with ($$).

Accesories not compatible:

• SDHC cards (unless one goes the hack ROM way... I am not that extreme!).
    • Seidio rubberized case

All in all, as I said in a previous post, since I got the 700p on launch date, I have pocketed out many dockets already and got spoiled by EVDO speeds. Is not turning back now, is either getting the 700p fixed or getting serious about jumping ship to even another carrier to offset the cost of getting a new device with high data speeds (3G perhaps)...
    I think the most glaringly annoying issues with the 700p:
    1. BT disconnecting issue.
    2. Delay from screen to screen/one function to another.
    I know, there are a million other things, but BT is almost priority. Like I have said before, the guy who heads the BT division @ palm has to be fired. He is like ****! Can be flushed down ASAP. In todays corp world, this is terrible.
    Oh! another would be
    not being able to initiate a call from a BT headset.

I know the default answer - not possible with POS. So does the windoz version have it? Can they do it? On a 700 w/wx???
    I say BS!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I can't believe how many people use the BT headsets. I prefer the wired version headset. I find the sound much better and nothing else to charge. also knowing I get more battery from my treo.
    Let me sparkle some hope in here. The 680 has been known around the web and all over for having the worst battery life the Palm OS history. Now, people have been turning away from the 680 because of the poor battery life. The least the could have done is through a quick fix to their new Smartphone. Note that Palm is investing a lot of money on this thing. As you may know the patch for the 680 wasn't a firmware update, it was more of a simple program that gets added to your system libraries. For the 700p they need to release a major firmware update which will get burned into the ROM.

I'm not gonna say that Palm is completely right now. They need to release the firmware update ASAP.

HEY PALM GIVE US SOME LIGHT HERE...!! AT LEAST GIVE US WHAT YOU HAVE SO FAR AND YOU CAN WORK ON WHAT'S MISSING ON THE NEXT ROM UPDATE

Al
    Well they did address some of the issues in the letters posted here a while back and stated that a firmware update was in the works and would be released around March 07. I will give them til then and then start my rant. Hopefully the bt issues will get addressed. The bt issues are my biggest peeve right now. As far as the lag goes, they stated they were going to try and address those issues, but not to expect anything due to the fact the 700p uses the same hardware as the 700w and wx. Guess we will continue to play the waiting and game and hope for the best. If I were as frustrated as some folks I think I would just sell it on Ebay and go with something else. The reality is we are all at the mercy of Palm and even with a class action law suit we still wouldn't get what we want in a timely manner seeing how most lawsuits generally live in court and only make lawyers rich. Yes, it would prove a point and have meaning, but still not fix our problems any quicker. The 700p has so much potential, but alas I'm afraid at best we may only get minor fixes in the end. The I-Phone looks like a nice device and may be the be all end all for some, but not for me. My Treo still can do more than the I-Phone will be capable of. From what I have seen it's only going to be EDGE as far as data speeds, but that could change I guess once they start producing them. I guess it all boils down to what your going to use it for. I can definitely sympathize with everyones ire, concerns, and dismay though.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Boy, you guys should use a PPC6700 for a month and then come back and tell me how bad your 700P is.
    Palm has been stating that carrier approval is a lengthy process that holds firmware releases up. Now we see a fix released in 1-2 months. That's just not consistent.

And in regards to the patch vs. firmware argument, does it really matter? Either way Palm is changing the way the OS works. If the carrier SUPPOSEDLY cares as much as stated about fixes affecting the way the MP3 player acts & the lag time on the user interface (non wireless communication features) then why would a camera/battery patch be any different in the carrier approval process?!? I'm having problems adding that up.

One last thing, paraphrasing the end of Jen's front page article about the 680 update ends with something to the extent of, "Way to go Palm. We knew you'd come through!"

I don't even know where to start off on that. More than anything, I felt she had just spat on all of us 700p owners. If she had any journalistic integrity she would've contrasted the quick patch for the 680 to Palm asking for more time on the 700p after like the 7-8 months we've been waiting. Someone at Palm's Public Relations dept is saying, "Way to go Jen. We knew you'd come through!" I guess the perks at CES were pretty good this year, eh?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    bob,
    This site's livelyhood(sp?) is based on palms success....they sell themselves for money....remind you of anything?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast