Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Don't forget: after applying the patch, turn the camera on at least once. It's the final step in installing the patch. I did mine over the air and it worked like a charm! Now my battery life is like we expected in the beginning, when we first bought our Treos.
    the over the air installer doesn't seem to be working. I access the palm page from my treo, download the file, but it stops after the download and doesn't run! anyone else experience this? did anyone get to install the patch without using a PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by MapaMan View Post
    the over the air installer doesn't seem to be working. I access the palm page from my treo, download the file, but it stops after the download and doesn't run! anyone else experience this? did anyone get to install the patch without using a PC?
    You have to click on the icon. Mine was on an otherwise blank page (unfiled?). If it is in "all," just find it and click on it.

[While I usually rely on these things to be iintuitve, if not obvious, in this case I checked off the steps as I performed them.}
    wow I did the patch the other day. today I took the phone off charge at noon. its almost 1130pm I have 78 % left! sweet. hard to post long message from the phone!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Wow...this is really great to start seeing good news about the battery life on this Treo. I really could end up buying another one if it keeps getting positive reviews after this patch...

Now, I have to find out if something like BB COnnect works on it. Need push email options!
    Apparently BB Connect works for Cingular and BES customers. Fortunately, i'm on Rogers in Canada, and they have MyMail for push email, free. And i get 500 mb of data on my plan for $10.

But yes, i am happy to be seeing all the positive reviews now too. Can't wait to get mine now! (not that i could before, but now it's harder)
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I think i must be the only one not seeing any appreciable difference. I followed Palms directions but no difference. Unplugged the 680 this am about 7:30 and now at 12:01 i've got 75% left. Regardless of what i've been doing with the phone, i should have more battery life left after only 4.5 hrs of being on.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    That depends upon what you have running. You could try to do a hard reset, re-install the camera patch, turn on the radio, and use it as a phone only for a day and see what the consumption is. Then load up one by one, a few, or all the rest, and at least you'll know if it's the phone or the added software.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    I think i must be the only one not seeing any appreciable difference. I followed Palms directions but no difference. Unplugged the 680 this am about 7:30 and now at 12:01 i've got 75% left. Regardless of what i've been doing with the phone, i should have more battery life left after only 4.5 hrs of being on.
    Randy,

If you have VeriChat, Chatter, etc, stuff running in the background, you'll see battery usage like this. Should you? I'm thinking no, I didn't see it so much on the 650. But currently, this is how it is. If I disable just Verichat and Chatter (leaving the other BG apps like Butler, handyaide, volumecare, etc.. active) my usage drops to around 1%/hr. With bluetooth on (hidden), gprs connected, etc.
    I'm also seeing better battery life after the patch. Now I am seeing roughly 0.8%/hour drain in standby overnight (phone radio on, bluetooth off, IR receive off, no auto-sync of mail).

G
    Unfortunately, I changed three variables at once, but one or more of them may be responsible for markedly better performance--better than my 650 with the extended battery, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I put it through more historical paces. But after changing to a compatible from an incompatible cradle, doing the SIM out reset, and installing the camera patch, I seem to be getting almost 50% better performance. I'll let you know tomorrow if it is a real improvement or some artifact.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Don't forget: after applying the patch, turn the camera on at least once. It's the final step in installing the patch. I did mine over the air and it worked like a charm! Now my battery life is like we expected in the beginning, when we first bought our Treos.
    Installed the patch last Thursday -and initially forgot to turn the camera on. A day later I did it - and the patch doesn't seem to be in effect - power drain is as lousy as ever. Any suggestions? Is a hard reset the only option?

[ To that end, if I have to do a hard reset anyone have a recommendation on backup software - is it still necessary? (Don't mean to go off topic - maybe someone can recommend a backup thread.) ]

Thanks,
    Mark
    Almost everybody seems to be running Backupbuddy, Backupman, or the Riesco app., without any serious problems. But why not just backup to your PC occasionaly?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Almost everybody seems to be running Backupbuddy, Backupman, or the Riesco app., without any serious problems. But why not just backup to your PC occasionaly?
    Two things: One is I am a registered user of BackupBuddy from a couple of years back - but just assumed that that version wouldn't work on Treo (had a CLIE NX-60) - so haven't tried to install it - maybe I should?

I do regularly sync my 680 with the PC - has the sync's own backup gotten good enough that I can do a complete restore without additional backup software?

Thanks.
    -Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by reMarkable View Post
    Installed the patch last Thursday -and initially forgot to turn the camera on. A day later I did it - and the patch doesn't seem to be in effect - power drain is as lousy as ever. Any suggestions? Is a hard reset the only option?

[ To that end, if I have to do a hard reset anyone have a recommendation on backup software - is it still necessary? (Don't mean to go off topic - maybe someone can recommend a backup thread.) ]

Thanks,
    Mark
    It's likely not the battery then. And no, a hard reset will not help if a soft reset does not help. In fact a hard reset will remove the camera patch.

If you have background data apps, such as Email or IM, they are hard on the battery life.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Randy,

If you have VeriChat, Chatter, etc, stuff running in the background, you'll see battery usage like this. Should you? I'm thinking no, I didn't see it so much on the 650. But currently, this is how it is. If I disable just Verichat and Chatter (leaving the other BG apps like Butler, handyaide, volumecare, etc.. active) my usage drops to around 1%/hr. With bluetooth on (hidden), gprs connected, etc.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not running VeriChat, Chatter, or anything that i'm aware is running in the background. Just as info, here are the third party apps i'm running:
    Vindigo
    4Cast (set to retrieve manually)
    BackupMan
    BART QuickPlanner
    Vegas Blackjack
    Converter
    Datebook 6
    DigDug
    FileZ
    Font Smoother (just installed this, no diff in batt life)
    Google Maps
    Handy Shopper
    HandZipper lite
    Hearts
    Texas Holdem
    KeyCaps
    Klondike
    Mini Tones
    Missing Sync
    Palm Revolt
    Skinner
    Snapper Mail (receive manually)
    Splash ID
    Splash Photo
    Tipper
    Vegas Slots
    Video Poker
    Zlauncher

Unless i'm in the car, Bluetooth is turned off. Even if i've got Bluetooth on, it doesn't appear to draw more power than with it off. I've got Beam Receive on, again, don't see any diff. with it off. My signal (t-mo) is constantly going in and out at home, i've got the notification turned on and it goes off all the time. I've got it setup to receive time and date automatically. It's not like there's anything running that would draw a lot of power. The thing is, I should be able to use Palms built in functionality and still get good battery life. I understand turning certain functions off will improve battery life, but it should be the difference between ok battery life and half decent battery life. I'm just looking for the same times i got from my 600, and i could go days without charging that if i had too, and i'm running the same apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    It's likely not the battery then. And no, a hard reset will not help if a soft reset does not help. In fact a hard reset will remove the camera patch.

If you have background data apps, such as Email or IM, they are hard on the battery life.
    I'm sorry, I wasn't really clear with what I wrote: "Is a hard reset the only option?" what I really meant, a hard reset - followed by a reinstall of the patch. My concern is that the patch (currently) didn't properly apply - otherwise, you'd think I'd see some measure of change.

I don't have really have "background" apps running - Don't have any IM or anything running in the background (ZLauncher or Warden doesn't count - right?) - I only retrieve my e-mail "manually" - not at timed intervals - and only a few times a day. I use the phone moderately (30-40min/day, data services moderately (Google Maps w/Traffic overlay about 10 min a day) BT about 2 or less hours/day. What's sucking up all the power?

My remedy has been to have charger in the office and in the car - and I've ordered a spare battery - but all of this still stinks. I had family in the hospital this week and needed to worry all day about running out of juice, finally using a charger I brought - after seeking out a free outlet in the waiting room - no easy task moving all the chairs from the walls looking. If I could confidently make it through the day on a charge without fear of running out or focusing on conserving, I'd be very pleased at this point.
    Last edited by reMarkable; 01/21/2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Pilot 1000 (Sept '96 - Orginial 128k - then upgrade to 512k, then 1mb, then custom 2mb,) IIIxe, m130, CLIE NX-60, Treo 680
    Turn off beam receive, switch the sound on and keep the network disconnected.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    I think a lot of generalized advice is going to be less than helpful because a lot of situations are different. I've found that the most critical variable is signal strength. I think data is even worse when signal strength goes down, but in any event, I have incredible battery life compared with the 650 when I am in strong signal strength areas. I think it is still better, but nearly as good, when I am in low signal strength areas. A lot of the testing results may not be valid when you change that, and other, variables.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    Turn off beam receive, switch the sound on and keep the network disconnected.
    Again, these aren't things that should have to be done to get good battery life. Better battery life yes, but not just good. I always had beam receive on with my 600 and never had to turn the network off. I shouldn't have to keep turning off all the functionality of this device to get JUST good battery life. I want great battery life, just like i've had with every Treo before.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast