1.    #1  
    So the other day I was at Radio Shack (come on, admit it, who doesn't love Radio Shack?) and I bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to use the 700p in my car for radio shows that aren't local to my area. I can't believe it took me this long to start doing that--there's so much great content to be had! But tonight I was driving home and decided to check my voicemail while still connected to the tape adapter when I hear my voicemail in the highest fidelity imaginable. OK, it's just your average car stereo, but compared to a cell phone speakerphone, it's fantastic. Now, how can I ever listen to the Treo's speakerphone again???

So how can I use this rig to make calls? I just need some kind of adapter and a decent mic, right? Anyone else doing this? What I'm confused about is the fact that the connector for my wired headset is the same as for the tape adapter, but one has a mic and the other is obviously two speakers. How does the Treo properly route the mic signal in the setup I'm currently using? I hear sound out of both speakers, so what is acting as my mic? I left a voicemail for myself at work and I could hear myself, but it didn't sound good. Is this making any sense?
    I assume you have a 3.4mm jack in your car radio as an aux input?
    Do the real poor man's set up, like me. I have the same adapter plugged into my phone with the other end plugged into the dash (of course you have to have a car with an aux input in the dash or you can use a tape adapter or FM transmitter). Then I set the phone on the dash with the phone mic pointed toward me. $10. The only problem is that the cheap Radio Shack adapter isn't quite the right size so I have to fiddle with in until I get sound.
  4.    #4  
    coolgreany, I'm using a 2.5mm(m) to 3.5mm(f) adapter plugged into my 700p. Then I have a tape adapter that I use with my iPod plugged into that. It gives me awesome phone audio, but I don't thing the mic sounds good so I'd like to get one more suited for this setup and don't know how I would hook it up.
    I have the same setup and not only do i use the cassette adapter to play my mp3's. I also use it for my GPS and it works great as a hands free solution also.
    Will a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter allow me to use an FM transmitter that would normally connect to the headphone jack? I assumed it would, and have purchased an adapter, but don't have an FM transmitter yet, so I haven't tested it out.
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by The UnDoug View Post
    Will a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter allow me to use an FM transmitter that would normally connect to the headphone jack? I assumed it would, and have purchased an adapter, but don't have an FM transmitter yet, so I haven't tested it out.
    Yes it will the question is why would you want to do that?
    If you tell us what you want to do we may have an easier solution for you.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    I have the same setup and not only do i use the cassette adapter to play my mp3's. I also use it for my GPS and it works great as a hands free solution also.
    Ronald, what are you using for a microphone? The mic built into to Treo? And you (or the people you talk to) find that it sounds ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Ronald, what are you using for a microphone? The mic built into to Treo? And you (or the people you talk to) find that it sounds ok?
    The way it appears to work is that the car speakers act as the microphone.
    What happens is that once you set this up , your car radio basically turns into a speaker phone.
    The only problem you may have is adjusting the volume correctly the first time.
    Since the treo does not have an automatic level control for the speaker phone application you have to be carefull not to cause distorition.
    You would have to do that with ANY extrenal source you pluged the treo into.
    It is the same as adjusting your ipod or your walkman to play in the car. It's no big deal.

It has been my experience that people hear you much better than they do when using a bluetooth head set in the car.

The best part is that you can have the complete setup for under $20.
    The only thing that this does not do that the car kit does is charge the phone. Since most people already have a car charger there is no problem.
  10.    #10  
    "The best part is that you can have the complete setup for under $20."

This is good, but I would say the *best* part is the loud, crystal-clear, hands-free sound. Either way, it's a winner. I'm going to make a bunch of calls tonight on my way home and see what people think of the mic's performance. I left a VM for myself at work last night and it sounded not bad at all.
    The way it appears to work is that the car speakers act as the microphone.
    What happens is that once you set this up , your car radio basically turns into a speaker phone.
    The only problem you may have is adjusting the volume correctly the first time.
    Since the treo does not have an automatic level control for the speaker phone application you have to be carefull not to cause distorition.
    You would have to do that with ANY extrenal source you pluged the treo into.
    It is the same as adjusting your ipod or your walkman to play in the car. It's no big deal.

It has been my experience that people hear you much better than they do when using a bluetooth head set in the car.

The best part is that you can have the complete setup for under $20.
    The only thing that this does not do that the car kit does is charge the phone. Since most people already have a car charger there is no problem.
    No, it doesn't. The Radio Shack connector only has two conductors, as opposed to the stereo headset, which has three. If you plug an adapter with 2 conductors into the Treo, it continues to use the built-in microphone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, it doesn't. The Radio Shack connector only has two conductors, as opposed to the stereo headset, which has three. If you plug an adapter with 2 conductors into the Treo, it continues to use the built-in microphone.
    My wired headset has one speaker and a mic and it has two "separating lines" on it, which actually gives you three wires for two connections. Usually you'd have four wires for two connections but you can share the ground so only three are required. Jacks with three lines on it actually have four wires: three conductors and the ground. That allows for stereo headphones and a mic. This is why I am confused. How does my treo know that my tape adapter is going to two speakers instead of a speaker and mic like on my mono headset?
    Yes it will the question is why would you want to do that?
    If you tell us what you want to do we may have an easier solution for you.

I just want to be able to play the music on my Treo through my car stereo. I don't have a tape deck, so I need to use an FM transmitter (no aux. in jack on the stereo, either).

I did this with my 2nd Generation iPod, but the FM transmitter I have only works with 2nd Gen iPods (it gets its power from the iPod).
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    How does my treo know that my tape adapter is going to two speakers instead of a speaker and mic like on my mono headset?
    I'm sure it can figure it out electrically. If there are only three conductors, then the second conductor from the bottom (in the Treo) will be shorted to ground (by the plug), which must be the mic line. So it will only switch to the jack mic if there's a nominal resistance there - not if the circuit is completely open or completely closed.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5287/25mm5jg.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    The only problem is that the cheap Radio Shack adapter isn't quite the right size so I have to fiddle with in until I get sound.
    If you shave a little of the plastic off at the base of the plug it will fit better - just don't cut off too much or you may cut the ground.

I use to use this method often with my tape adapter. With the Treo laying somewhere nearby with the mic exposed in my direction, the quality is acceptable for short calls. The other issue is echo, though, since the Treo is just as exposed to the caller's voice as you are.