Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know, I know, this is a Treo forum. But this seems to be the only good place to post something for GoodGuy (no pun intended)... So here it goes:

I use GoodLink to get my corporate mail (etc.) on a Cingular 8525 (Windows Mobile 5, slide-out keyboard). It's works well, but can also be a pain in the behind.Here's the run-down:
    • Replaces the standard password screen (which has an on-screen keypad) with its own (which does not have an on-screen keypad). On a device like 8525 which requires extra effort to get to the keyboard, this is a MAJOR annoyance. I cannot stress this enough. Mine locks after 5 min of inactivity (which I like for security reasons, the max is 30min). So every time I pick up the device I have to slide out the keyboard to enter the password. That's ridiculous. Good, fix this ASAP!!!!!
    • The email client is excellent. I can't say enough good things about it, much better than the standard Windows Mobile 5 Outlook. I just wish rich text/html were supported.
    • Synchronization is quick -- as good as BES (I am a former BlackBerry user)
    • It synchronizes everything! Email, calendar, contacts, notes, etc. -- excellent, step above BES.
    • The calendar is mediocre. Better than standard, but still sub-par, especially compared with the likes of PocketInformant. And since GoodLink does not rely on the Pocket Outlook storage, all these third-party products won't work. Some small deficiencies in the calendar include inability to respond to the meeting originator, inability to forward, can't see attachments to invitations.
    • The contacts app is really poor. A huge step back from the built-in one, not to mention aftermarket.
    • I thought at first that GoodLink was a battery hog, but I am realizing that's not the case. It does contribute to battery drain, but not significantly.

There you have it. Good, get your act together and fix the stupid Password screen, give us a better calendar app and replace the contacts with something that doesn't feel 10 years behind the curve!

Thanks.
    I use GoodLink to get my corporate mail (etc.) on a Cingular 8525 (Windows Mobile 5, slide-out keyboard). It's works well, but can also be a pain in the behind.Here's the run-down:

[*] Replaces the standard password screen (which has an on-screen keypad) with its own (which does not have an on-screen keypad). On a device like 8525 which requires extra effort to get to the keyboard, this is a MAJOR annoyance. I cannot stress this enough. Mine locks after 5 min of inactivity (which I like for security reasons, the max is 30min). So every time I pick up the device I have to slide out the keyboard to enter the password. That's ridiculous. Good, fix this ASAP!!!!!
    To implement the password feature is a decision of your IT staff. I am willing to bet this won't be changed in the near future as Good was designed for devices with QWERTY keyboards, therefore a pop-up, touch screen keyboard was not a requirement. The 8525 and 6700 are the only devices that we support with a sliding keyboard, so we can't justify changing code for one device. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't foresee it in the near future.

[*] The email client is excellent. I can't say enough good things about it, much better than the standard Windows Mobile 5 Outlook. I just wish rich text/html were supported.
    Glad you like it. HTML support is on the roadmap, just don't know when. Security issues are the main concern there.
    [*] Synchronization is quick -- as good as BES (I am a former BlackBerry user)
    I like to think better, but will take "as good as"

[*] It synchronizes everything! Email, calendar, contacts, notes, etc. -- excellent, step above BES.
    See, told you it was better!!

[*] The calendar is mediocre. Better than standard, but still sub-par, especially compared with the likes of PocketInformant. And since GoodLink does not rely on the Pocket Outlook storage, all these third-party products won't work. Some small deficiencies in the calendar include inability to respond to the meeting originator, inability to forward, can't see attachments to invitations.[*] The contacts app is really poor. A huge step back from the built-in one, not to mention aftermarket.
    We are working on significant changes to the calendar and contacts apps. Version 5.0, targetted for 3rd quarter (targetted. mind you) has some fantastic improvements to contacts and calendar. Can't go into them, but I confident you will approve.

[*] I thought at first that GoodLink was a battery hog, but I am realizing that's not the case. It does contribute to battery drain, but not significantly.
    No argument there.

There you have it. Good, get your act together and fix the stupid Password screen, give us a better calendar app and replace the contacts with something that doesn't feel 10 years behind the curve!

Thanks.
    Thanks for your feedback!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response! Glad to hear changes are on the way.

I do want to plead my case regarding the password screen (hey, hope dies last, right?) Yes, the decision to implement the GoodLink password feature is made by the IT staff. Being in IT myself, I understand and fully support it. I also understand that only doing this for 2 of the many WM devices may not seem like a worthwhile investment.

I hope (but really don't know) that devices like 8525 and the 6700 represent a large enough portion of the total userbase. I know 8125 was very popular with Cingular, and 8525 is likely to draw a large crowd too. If that's true, maybe that would justify the investment... Come on, man, all your developers have to do is add an option to have a numeric touch pad (like the phone dial pad). I'll bribe them, two cases of Jolt on me . You wouldn't want large companies like mine swaying over to the dark side (Microsoft Direct Push), would you?

Either way, thanks. Glad to see a company that listens to users.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I'm glad I finally found a place I could possibly get help on Goodlink with WM5.
    I am using the Cingular 8125 (closely similar to 8525). I Installed Goodlink, same kudos for email application, but I am having a terrible time with contacts. I can no longer access contacts that are on the actual unit. Only corporate contacts are available. I also cannot put the personal contacts in on the corporate exchange via. I synchronize my phone with a personal address book. Can anywone please shed some light on a workarround? Thanks...
  5.    #5  
    I have all my personal and business contacts in my Outlook (Exchange) contacts, categorized so I can easily sort them. That way the contacts synchronize. I also synchronize Contacts (only) via ActiveSync so I can use the standard (Pocket Outlook) contacts, as I find the GoodLink contacts lacking in usability and features.

I have found that it's too much trouble for me to keep my business and personal contacts and calendar separate -- so I only have one set now.
    Categories for contacts is coming. I have it on my device and it works great.
    A bit off topic - but is there anyway to get the quick search on the Today screen to work if I have goodlink installed? I have a 750, and the most current version of goodlink. Goodlink is up and sync'd and I also sync'd up my contacts via activesync - and still nothing shows up in the search.
    Being a (reluctant) Goodlink user for a few years now on Windows Mobile I will share with you what I know. It may help you corroborate issues you are having, dispel some myths, or maybe you can correct/help me where I am wrong or missing a workaround.

First let me say kudos to Good Guy and any other Good reps for getting out here fairly-frequently and answering questions. Goodlink (GL) has been such a buggy program on WM that I appreciate them coming here and taking the fire.

I have owned the Siemens HTC SX66, the HTC Cingular 8125, the HTC 8525 and now the Treo 750. I have also used a slew of Palm OS devices. I have used every version of GL since 4.0, and I believe a few versions before that. I know from using Palm OS Treos and reading the recent comments here that Goodlink is a great application on that system (still pretty buggy). But until just recently Goodlink should have been a Beta on WM. My Treo 750 (with ver 4.9) is the first device to actually handle Goodlink without frequent crashes and server disconnects. I work in IT and am very adept at troubleshooting PDA devices and customizing devices with registry fixes and so on. I have also spent countless hours on pdaphonehome(dot)com, howardforums, xda-developers, treocentral, etc. commiserating with fellow windows Goodlink users as we have tried to help each other out. If my company did not require Goodlink for push mail I simply would not use it. Here are my comments specific to its operation.

The Pros:
    • GL accomplishes what almost no other app can…true push email. Despite the consistent bugs in simple email delivery, it is fairly stable (but only recently) and keeps me connected to work. The delivery is quick. Sitting at my desk I sometimes get emails to my PDA before they hit my desktop Outlook.
    • The GL install, though incredibly long, is OTA and is usually reliable (many times it has frozen on me, but eventually comes through). This means that you don’t have to do an Activesync-type install and can reload GL from anywhere as long as you have a data signal and your password.
    • The ability to sync email, calendar and contacts is great. And although incredibly feature poor, it does these tasks quite well.
    • Ability to lookup contacts in my company’s 100,000+ contact GAL. Great tool.
    • Autotext is a great feature. If you type a lot of emails and don’t use this you are missing out. It is in the Good Preferences list.

The “This Stinks but not Really Good’s Fault”
    • If you have used your PDA for several weeks without GL and then finally install it, you will see your battery consumption increase dramatically. Well, this is the compromise of push mail. Any old program can go out and check the server every X minutes. For hard core users that need to receive and reply to emails sometimes within minutes, or else have business impacted, GL is usually great. For this reason the connection is basically always on and thus your battery will take a hit.

The Cons (just read through the TreoCentral GL forums)
    • The Goodlink install is analogous to an identity thief who has just got hold of your social security number. The device is hardly recognizable as your own after the install. As many of you know and have mentioned it litters shortcuts throughout the file system, subordinates Outlook to a subfolder in programs, literally adds a few hundred lines to your registry, takes over the built-in password program, installs 2 startup services that cannot be killed without 3rd party software and requires much more time on restarts (and older versions installed the .exe in your windows\startup folder…looks like they stopped this practice), installs and automatically activates today plugins to further eat up your precious memory
    • The Goodlink folder (v 4.9) in Program Files takes up 13.85 MB of storage. I own a LOT of 3rd party software and the next largest folder is 1.44 MB. YIKES. And that is only the Program Files folder. It places files in many other folders too (but this one is by far the biggest footprint).
    • Try this. Soft reset your device and open up Settings>Memory before doing anything else. Record your available free Program memory. Now launch Good email. Now look at memory again. You should have seen about a 9 MB hit! Unlike nothing else.
    • If you have a program like MemMaid, try this. Open up a bunch of programs like voice command, Internet explorer, any games, pocket outlook mail, media player etc. Open up GL email. Now look under Running Processes in MemMaid. I will bet my life that you will see Goodlink at the top of the list. My ver. 4.9 uses exactly, get this, 6.66 MB of RAM (I knew it was the devil). My next highest offender logs in at exactly 1.85 MB (Voice Command). So GL uses over 200% more RAM than any other app.
    • No attachments to outgoing mail. But if you want 2 years of promises about attachments being their top priority then you are in luck. I have read the forums and understand the Exchange server/Outlook issue and so forth. But c’mon man, we sent people to the moon in less time. The high school interns that Good has assigned to this task just aren’t coming through. GoodGuy himself said this was due out in late summer of ’05 in the third post of sticky thread “Goodlink Information”. I am sure glad we didn’t base any business models on this feature.
    • Support…ugggggggggh. It would be easier to try and find John Rambo and kill him with an unsharpened stick than get real answers from your support rep. And finding support over the last year through their website was tough at best. Motorola has bought GL out and the site has changed somewhat. But even the new site seems to try and discourage any direct emails or calls about their product (and I can see why). I understand that Good wants you to log in and be a member and all. But for goodness sake. You have to assume anyone with technical questions owns and therefore paid for GL. It’s not like you can get a hacked version off the web. It is very telling to me that on the Home page you click “Contact Us” and all you get is a phone number and email for sales. And if you click on Support you still have to log in and dig around. With a software as bug-ridden as this they should have a direct email address in 36 point font on the home page. You could still require users to enter a customer number in order to get a reply. That is why these forums are so invaluable.
    • Testing. Apparently there is only one part-time employee on the windows side of the QA department. It has been quite obvious over the last two years that Good was only testing their product on very few devices. Reasoning? Things that they said were fixed with release X would often not be at all. Then they would post “patches” in the forums and they wouldn’t work either. Some devices were so crippled for so long that many people just gave up. And Goodlink also is incompatible with so many other 3rd party apps that do just fine with one another when Goodlink is not installed. We did exhaustive testing with this over on pdaphonehome many moons ago. This point cannot be understated as a huge impact on what should be a converged device. Goodlink makes my PDA a submerged device.
    • The Goodlink integration into "windows standards" is nothing short of horrible. They have decided to forego a lot of standard practices that other 3rd party apps somehow are able to follow. Specific examples of this are scattered below. And in my opinion Good has not made ANY significant feature/GUI enhancements to this windows product in a year and a half. The fact that you have to do this quirky little “debug” command line to tweak advanced settings speaks volumes towards this point. Granted, they have done a lot of backend and behind the scenes fixes/enhancements (i.e. Good used to cripple bluetooth, cause phone function to be unreliable, not allow you to close it with third-party “closer” apps). But the bare bones email, calendar and contacts app have remained mostly unchanged. And the customization options for each app in the suite are almost nil. Those of you running version 4.7 or earlier, you have my condolences. Here are some examples: (This is where I am sure some people can reply and prove me wrong. Hopefully I will learn some new things.)

• As we all know the biggest feature goof for Goodlink is that their contacts do not synch with Outlook contacts. So although it is nice to have an OTA push-mail method with no wires to synch, you still have to activesync to get the contacts to copy over. Simply crazy. Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant play nice with microsoft, why can't Goodlink? And the fact that GL hijacks other places where "contacts" would usually link to the Outlook version is criminal. It even takes over button mapper programs. There are a few workarounds to this hijacking, but the average Joe will never get it to work quite right.
    • (version 4.5 and earlier) On many devices Goodlink will make it such that you cannot launch bluetooth, bluetooth manager or bluetooth settings from the task bar icon on the Today screen.
    • (version 4.5 and earlier) The GoodApp.exe is installed into your startup folder so that your device will take an unbelievably long time to soft-reset. And you can’t really delete it because it will just be replaced the next time you start GL. Haha on you.
    • (version 4.7 and earlier) You cannot close Goodlink using third party app closers. Every other app I own will shut down, but Goodlink will not. It stays open constantly keeping your GPRS awake. If you want to close it you have to kill the process in MemMaid or other utility. Even after you do that, some other registry setting wakes it back up to check one thing or another and loads the whole 6.3 MB exe again!!! It is seemingly impossible to try and circumvent the above issue by reg hacking because Goodlink litters the registry with an ungodly amount of entries.
    • (4.5 and earlier?) Email - In Messaging and other programs where you have lists of items (like unread emails) you can press and hold the middle button on the dpad and get the "right click" shortcut menu. This allows you to quickly delete, edit, copy, paste, etc. Even now that they have added that feature it offers much less functionality than the included Pocket Outlook version.
    • Email - the preview pane is not resizable. What? Huh? Seriously. My Resco File Explorer and a dozen other programs accomplish this. No, seriously?
    • Email - There is no option to show the whole distribution list of emails received permanently. You have to click the tiny down arrow in every email to see the recipients. How easy would that be to let the user set it to "always on"?
    • And that brings up another feature that only recently changed. The lack of keyboard shortcuts. Oh my gosh. The fact that G brings up the Launcher seems like the greatest thing since sliced bread (I guess everything is relative, huh?)
    • Email - There is no option to always display the BCC field in the address section. You must "unhide" it in each separate email.
    • Email - Once inside an email there is a page down keyboard equivalent (spacebar). I don’t know of a page up equivalent (T goes all the way to the top).
    • Email – Under Menu>Options> Email Options you get 4 options: Confirm Delete, Return Read Receipts, Append Sig, Out of Office. Under Menu>Options>Display you get to choose between 1 line or 2, toggle time on/off, toggle display name on/off, toggle status bar, display preview pane (which is included under Menu>View also).
    • Calendar - What an anemic little program. You can view by day, week, month and agenda. No year view!! All you will find under options is: Start of Day, End of Day, Default Reminder, Confirm Delete, Show 30 minute rows, Show 5 day work week. That's it. That's all. Nothing else to complain about here because there are no other features.
    • Contacts - Yes, believe it or not, much worse than the Pocket Outlook contacts. First, it does not support the categories that you may have painstakingly set up in outlook.
    • Contacts - The only filter categories are “All, "Personal” and "Company".
    • Contacts - There is no ABCs at the top to filter your list quickly. You thousands of slider-type keyboard users are out o’ luck. Can you say soft keyboard and stylus?
    • Contacts - Again the center button click-and-hold-for-shortcut-menu is a recent addition. And again in has few options (6). Poutlook has 9.
    • Contacts - A great feature in messaging is that you can use the left and right dpad to scroll through available numbers and email addresses of a contact without opening it up. Then you push the phone button to call the number that is currently showing. No such thing at all in Goodlink.
    • Contacts - When you do open up a contact you will see that it drops many of the other optional fields you may have populated in Outlook.
    • Contacts – Configuration options under Menu>Options are, drum roll please, Sort By (First Name, Last), Show (Phone #, Company or None) and a Confirm Delete checkbox. Yahoooooo.
    • Notes - Absolutely worthless application in my opinion
    • Tasks - Bastardized so much from its Outlook incarnation that it is another absolutely worthless application in my opinion
    • (4.5) The big upgrade anticipation for me going from 4.0.x to 4.5 was the “offline mode” so GPRS would quit connecting all of the time. They included it but it didn’t work. It actually seemed to connect more often than before. I experienced much faster battery drain after going to 4.5. I had to change to offline mode and then soft reset to get it to stay in offline mode.

And that, my friends, is only a feature comparison to the included pocket Outlook apps from Microsoft of all people. Hehe.

So needless to say I use Goodlink to get corporate email and check my corporate calendar. But I still use Pocket outlook and third party apps for most of my email, calendar and contact needs.

Hopefully some of you can prove me wrong and show me the light with some of the "Cons" observations above.
    Last edited by conekkted; 02/01/2007 at 09:42 AM.
    Wow. Quite an exhaustive and detailed post. Thanks for the compliments and I would like to address some of the cons you mentioned.

First, the memory issues. No argument there and all I can say is that it is being worked on. Same song, different day, I know, but being that I am not in our development group and I am not a developer, I really can't address it anymore than that as I simply don't know how and why GMM takes up the space that it does.

No attachments to outgoing mail. But if you want 2 years of promises about attachments being their top priority then you are in luck. I have read the forums and understand the Exchange server/Outlook issue and so forth. But c’mon man, we sent people to the moon in less time. The high school interns that Good has assigned to this task just aren’t coming through. GoodGuy himself said this was due out in late summer of ’05 in the third post of sticky thread “Goodlink Information”. I am sure glad we didn’t base any business models on this feature.
    Fair enough, however, read that post:

My understanding is late Summer and we should have attachment support, but that is purely speculation and nothing official has been announced.
    If you HAD based any business models on that comment, you have much larger issues than support for attachments

The primary reason (though there are several) for no support is security. The same reason Blackberry doesn't support attachments. Add to that, Good does not use SMTP, so we basically have had to re-invent the wheel as it relates to attachments. Good news is, last roadmap I saw, version 5.0 (due Q3/Q4) has attachment support. Again, that could change, but this is the most committed I have seen PM to attachment support.

Support:
    Good does not, and never has, provided end-user technical support. Support is provided to IT contacts within an organization. That is why the support link on the webite leads to the customer portal, where a login (which is created when you install the server) is required. Your statement that GMM is "bug ridden" is not fair nor correct. The fact that there are certain features you (and other users) would like or the fact that it uses more memory than people would like does not make it bug ridden. Even so, we have always provided technical support to the IT contacts within our installation. The phone number for support is included with the activation email that is sent. Call the sales department if you have lost the number and we will gladly connect you.

Contacts:
    I am assuming when you say that Good does not sync with with Outlook contacts, you are referring to Pocket Outlook. Version 5 is scheduled (SCHEDULED ) to allow choice between Good and native contacts.

You completely contradict yourself in a major portion of your post. You state how Good has made no significant changes, yet you create a laundry list of things that have changed from older versions. That being said:

Battery Life: What is the battery life on your laptop? If it is like mine, you are getting more out of your PDA, even with Good.

Categories: I am running categories now. In other words, coming.

Keyboard Shortcuts: Have always neen there

A-Reply All
    F-Forward
    R-Reply
    D-Delete
    V-preview pane
    G-Launcher
    U-Mark Unread
    L-Flag
    T-Go to top of inboxk
    Spacebar-Page down
    B-Bottom of inbox
    N-Next day when in Sort by Date, Next email when reading email
    M-Move email to folder

The one thing missing, as you stated, is the page up. I have never understood why we didn't have that.

Middle Button/Right Click: This works in GMM with Delete, Move, Reply, Reply All, Fwd, Call Sender, Mark Read, Flag and Compose. What else would you like to see there?

Contact Filters: Less than 1% of our users are on slider keyboards, though that is a good idea. I have a 700WX that has soft keyboard option come up. Don't have an 8525 or 6700. Is that not there on those?

I am assuming you are referring to categories since All, Personal and Company are more like folders than filters. When you start typing in the search field, it automatically filters based on the name (first initial (space) last initial works as well) or the company if you are using that option.

Work-Offline: Works for me on my Q, 650 and 700WX, though I have read some folks where they say it doesn't.

Testing: You are right. We do not test GMM with every single third party application that is out there. Could we test with some? Sure, but there would always be someone with another application that we didn't test it with that would want it and we would end up doing nothing but testing with third party apps. We offer the 30-day trial for a reason. Try it. If it doesn't work with a mission critical third party application, then by all means, do not deploy GMM.

You call GMM buggy, but your list is not made up of bugs. It is made up of missing or deficient features. We have hundreds of thousands of users on WM, Palm and Symbian. With all due respect, if the program were as horrid as you make it sound, my guess is we would not have the user growth that we have experienced. Also, we are at the whims of the device makers, the OS developers and the carriers. If there is the slightest thing askew in the ROM from the carriers or OS from Windows, Palm or Symbian, GMM will find it and, typically, get blamed for it. Is GMM the perfect application? No, and I would be crazy to say it is. Show me the perfect application. Has it improved? Absolutely. You point that out yourself in all the 'issues' with older versions that are not there anymore.

Look, I truly appreciate the short comings with GMM. I know they are there. However, contrary to what you seem to think, we are working on improving the application and always have.
    Again I appreciate the fact that GoodGuy tries to answer all the posts in this forum. He does a good job of being diplomatic while still towing the company line

Regarding attachments...I guess the issue is that you guys keep saying you are going to support attachments, so you are telling us it CAN be done. And if that is the case we are all wondering how long does it take to figure it out?

Bug-ridden refers to the constant freezes requiring resets, frequent disconnects from the server, freezing when doing OTA installs, things like offline not working, crippled bluetooth, the password screen sometimes not letting you answer calls, truly working "offline", and not integrating with the built-in contacts. And I may add to the list as soon as I figure out what is causing this "exception" error and then immediately forcing my Treo to soft reset. Those are some pretty core pieces of functionality that make day to day use very burdensome. Try rolling GL out to dozens of users and see how many trouble tickets are generated weekly. OUCH.

You have to admit there have been no great enhancements for a long time. This is evident by the version being 4.x for more than a year now.

As for battery life, I explained that this is just a fact of life. Any other true push mail solution would see similar battery strain.

Be careful telling us that you are running new beta features or that somother feature is coming soon. We have heard that too many times before and just aren't buying into it. I will believe when I see it...and if it actually works.

When you mentioned the launcher and keyboard shortcuts it brought up another small issue I have. This one speaks to the lack of attention I believe Good has towards true usability testing and intuitive logic in their design. When you pull up the launcher it has shortcuts labeled A, B, C etc. If you aren't going to match the shortcut letters to the first letter in the actual app name, then why not use 1, 2, 3... At least the numbers are all grouped together and make one handed use easier.

I mentioned the d-pad/right click in regards to contacts. The POutlook version gives you the options of calling or sending email to any of the numbers/addresses listed for that person as well as adding a number to speed dial.

Filters...I understand you can start typing in the first few letters of a contact. POutlook lets you do that too, as well as an abc header and FILTERS. Again, Good is so single-minded when it comes to usability. Say I want to find a guy in my company that I talked to for the first time last week and saved his contact info. Now I need to call him again but I can't remember his name. Well instead of scrolling through 500 contacts in GL, I can filter on "Business" in POutlook and only have to look through 80. Again, just a lack of intuitive design. Why only have one option?

Testing. You don't have to test it with every third party app. No one expects that. But that's why there are programming and GUI windows standards to develop to. There are so many complex softwares out there that cause no problems on my devices. And there are a few that cause conflicts. When they do I uninstall them. I don't have that luxury with GL.

With all that said, version 4.9 is actually the first palatable version we have had, so I have my hopes up for the near future. But I just can't for the life of me understand what takes Good so long to fix these issues. And I don't understand why the feature-set is so poor. There are dozens of users out here telling you what they want. Your market research is being done for you for free. Take better advantage of it. And I understand that you are not a tech guy and none of your info or release dates are official. So why in the great-big-world does Good not get an official tech answer to some of these frequently asked questions?! Using the "I'm not technical and can't answer that question" only serves to frustrate an already frustrated user base even more. From all I have read we all WANT to like Goodlink, but Good is making that down-right difficult.
    Attachments: Obviously, it took awhile to figure out how to it could be done. Now, it is a matter of implementing it.

Bug Ridden: We have installation of 1000's of users and rolling out 100's of GMM devices a week across multiple platforms and don't get tons of support requests.

While I can't specifically address your issues, you are referring to 'bugs' that have been corrected. Freezes and resets have been attributed todevices (ie, the Q, the Cingular 650 upon initial release) running GMM and NOT running GMM.

Shortcuts: I answered your question and your bring up an entirely different issue. The Launcher short-cuts are right in line with the device short cuts. For example, Moto Q, if you go to settings, all the options are labeled A, B, C, etc. regardless of what the short-cut is pointing to. You can always program buttons on the device for the various options.

Again, I beg to differ that there have not been alot of enhancements in previous releases. From 4.0 to 4.9, there have been MANY:

Lotus Support
    Symbian Support
    Additional Handheld support
    "Quit GMM" option
    vCard Beaming
    Reply/Forward with Signature
    Improved navigation on Treo 700w Today Screen
    Install from mountable file system
    GAL lookup from contacts
    Multiple devices on a single mailbox
    Call Sender
    Two-line display
    EFIGS support

Just to name a few.

Contact filtering: As I said, categories are coming which will address your example.

As a final word on your comment that we have a poor feature set. I respectfully disagree as does every review ever done of the product. As I said, we will never be able to address every single want of every single user. Sure, there are dozens of users here telling us things, however, we have 100's of thousands of users who are not saying these things. No, we are not playing to smallest common denominator, however, you are implying that our entire customer base is irate which is far from the case.

As for me not being a 'tech guy', even if there was a 'tech guy' here, they would not provide official release dates or anything more or less than I provide. I have access to all the 'tech guys'. With all due respect, I have been addressing needs and questions regarding our product for 2 years. Therefore, your statement of me saying "I'm not technical and can't answer that question" holds absolutely zero water. Again, there is nothing that an 'official tech guy' would be able to provide that I can't/haven't.
    Glad to find this forum. I have a TMobile MDA (WM5) with GMM 4.8 installed. In prior versions of Goodlink and prior versions of devices, including the MDA and a Dash and an IPAQ. Generally I let Pocket Outlook sync to a separate Outlook file, where I keep track of the limited number of things I want Voice Dial and MS Voice Command to access. Then Goodlink Contacts syncs with the office 3,000+ contacts.

With 4.8 though, GMM takes over the Pocket Outlook Contacts link (but not Tasks, Calendar, Notes or Messaging) by changing the link to \Program Files\Goodlink\GoodContacts.exe. That means that I cannot add or edit a Contact for purposes of Voice Dial or Voice Command, or picture callerid. What would be the proper place to point that link to to recover access to the Pocket Outlook Contacts file? For example, the Calendar link is pointed to "poutlook.exe calendar".
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Bug Ridden: We have installation of 1000's of users and rolling out 100's of GMM devices a week across multiple platforms and don't get tons of support requests.
    We have been supporting dozens of GL users since version 4.0. Every release has brought with it its fair share of new bugs. I don't know what else to tell you, it's just a fact.

Freezes and resets have been attributed to devices...
    Yeah, 90% of the Windows Mobile devices out there. C'mon, just read the forums here, at HowardForums, pdaphonehome, xda-developers, etc. It is a common issue.

Again, I beg to differ that there have not been alot of enhancements in previous releases. From 4.0 to 4.9, there have been MANY:

Lotus Support Does not help most of us regular users
    Symbian Support This is a Windows Mobile thread. But thanks for the info. N/A
    Additional Handheld support GoodGuy, what in the world is this vaguery?
    "Quit GMM" option Finally! Should have been in version 1.0
    vCard Beaming Do many of you out there use this seldom if ever?
    Reply/Forward with Signature Sooo basic. Should have been in version 1.0
    Improved navigation on Treo 700w Today Screen Wait. Above you say "we are not playing to smallest common denominator" but then you say one of your big enhancements is particular to one device out of dozens? Which is it? You can't have it both ways depending on which question you are answering.
    Install from mountable file system And how does this help the average user?
    GAL lookup from contacts Could already do this in email. Not much change here.
    Multiple devices on a single mailbox I guess that is useful to a very small percentage of users
    Call Sender Even though you are the last one to this party, better late than never
    Two-line display How did you ever figure this one out?
    EFIGS support Um, what?
    I hate to harp on you about this. But instead of just taking your lumps on the obvious you came back with some VERY weak answers. That made it impossible for me not to respond. You need to learn which battles to stay and fight and which ones to retreat from and live to fight another day. Again, I was comparing your features and options ONLY to THE BUILT-IN FREE POCKET OUTLOOK APPLICATIONS. And their features and options blow Goodlinks out of the water (please don't respond and say that they don't do push mail. I know that.) Please don't make me start listing the features of Informant or Fusion.

Contact filtering: As I said, categories are coming which will address your example.
    Famous last GL words. When?!?!?!

As a final word on your comment that we have a poor feature set. I respectfully disagree as does every review ever done of the product.
    That is because every review is reviewing you guys as a push mail solution. And as far as competitors who else can they compare you to? BE HONEST. If there were several other push email solutions out there (and they're coming) you would see Good's market share decrease drastically because people are tired of mediocrity. But if you compare the GL calendar, email, contacts, and tasks applications as well as their stability against any other program (regardless of push) then GL absolutely pales in comparison in each and every discipline. If you can't see that then I have to submit that you have never compared GL to the competition.
    Last edited by conekkted; 02/07/2007 at 08:51 PM.
    Obviously, we are never going to agree. You point to those forums and I can point to those forums as well with user NOT using GMM on those same devices having issues with the devices. The fact is that GMM is a ROM and OS intensive application and if there are EXISTING issues (which almost every WM/PPC device has had upon release) GMM will make those issues shine. If I am to understand what you are saying, every WM/PPC device that has been released ran just fine before putting GMM on them. To use your terms, "C'mon"

As for the feature list I presented that you redlined, let me address a few:

Lotus Support-Not having cost us a tremendous amount of market share. So, while it did not affect Exchange users, it had a major effect on our market share.
    Symbian Support-Symbian is the largest handheld deployed OS in the world. Very applicable. Development resources required for porting it over cannot be used for other development. Business decision.
    Additional Handheld Support-People complain about not supporting a variety of handhelds, yet when we use resources for that development, others complain about something else. Again, we will never please everyone all the time.
    VCard Beaming-Next to attachments, the most requested feature request we have ever had.

You call this list "weak", but you implied we had added no features since 4.X. I countered that with a list of changes. The fact that they don't meet your particular wants or needs does not make them any more or any less if new features within the product.

Bottom line here is obviously you have had nothing but problems with GMM and it is not the solution for you and your organization. If this "mediocre" solution does not work for you, DO NOT USE IT. There are plenty of other push solutions out there. To name a few:

Intellisync
    BB
    BB Connect
    Extended Systems
    Exchange ActiveSync
    Visto
    Seven
    eMoze
    Consilient
    Funambol

Our market share has far from decreased. If you feel that any of those solutions will better fulfill your organization's needs as it relates to wireless email, I encourage you to try one of the others that are available and if it works better for you, then you should use it.

Do we fit every niche, such as individual user? Nope and never have claimed to. However, if you want to compare any enterprise solution out there, please feel free to post the features and benefits and we can discuss them.
    Again I appreciate your response. We would go to another solution except for the fact that we also SELL your solution to our clients. We have invested a TON in GL technology and partnerships. So we can't just throw away our investment, although at some point it may come to that. So I am going to keep pressing the issues on the major flaws that are causing us internal headaches as well as costing us large amounts of support time externally.

You have to keep focused on the fact that this thread is ENTIRELY about the Windows Mobile platform. So for you to tout your top two enhancements as fixes to other operating systems seems to further expose the customer service weakness you have in the Windows Mobile arena.

So basically you have said that in the last two years, for end users, Good has added the enhancements of V-card Beaming, reply/forward with signature, GAL lookup from contacts, call sender and 2-line display. I contest that this is an anemic amount of features added for a user base that is clamoring for more functionality and has been sticking by you for years through your promises of fixes and additions. And for the record, what is the "Quit GMM" option. Although Goodlink now disappears from the Task Manager when you close it, the GoodApp.exe still stays resident in memory taking up 7 MB of program memory. So GL now just hides itself from Task Manager, it does not actually ever give up its memory hold (I will explain this in more detail later with a different post).

Like in every other sector Windows is fast approaching a dominance in the handheld market (unfortunately). The fact that Treo, a long-standing Palm partner, now has Windows devices rolling out should be a big clue to the direction of this market. Good had better shape up its Windows side of the house or risk losing this whole market to the list of up-and-comers you listed in your last post.
    When will categories be available for contacts? And a left field question. Having just installed Good on a Treo700P, the bluetooth contacts are no longer recognized by my car systems dialer. Has anyone experienced this, and is there a workaround. Bluetooth dialing from your car is a great feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    • The GL install, though incredibly long, is OTA and is usually reliable (many times it has frozen on me, but eventually comes through). This means that you don’t have to do an Activesync-type install and can reload GL from anywhere as long as you have a data signal and your password.
    Have you ever done an "Activesync-type install"? Since all Windows Mobile devices come with ActiveSync already installed there is NOTHING to download. All you need to know is the OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) address and your username and password and you're synching your mail in less than 3 minutes...And let's not forget you typically need some long obscure PIN code for Good to install... good luck on remembering that! Your Good admin could always send it to you...oh wait you can't get e-mail .
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
    All you need to know is the OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) address and your username and password and you're synching your mail in less than 3 minutes.
    Are you referring to using the pre-loaded pocket outlook (aka Inbox)?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Are you referring to using the pre-loaded pocket outlook (aka Inbox)?
    POutlook is just the mail client - can't work without something getting it mail...
    Our office pushed 4.9.2 yesterday and 4.9.3 today to my T-Mobile MDA. One upshot is that *all* the links in the Pocket Outlook folder in Programs are now gone.

Also, the trick of getting to Outlook contacts by assigning Outlook contacts to a hardware button no longer is working for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast