1.    #1  
    To get another one.

I just got the phone on Sunday. Upgraded from my trusty and rock solid Treo 600. Everything has been great with the 700p except one HUGE problem. The phone just goes dead randomly. Won't power on....won't ring if called. The only way to get it back is to pull the battery or hit the reset button.

I think I got a bunk phone.

No worries. I hope my next phone has no issues. I really am loving the phone otherwise and think it is a great upgrade from the Treo 600.
    Brother I have been having that problem for 6 months and Sprint will NOT give you a new phone. They will take it in the back and do a hard reset, but the only way you will get a new phone is to run over it and it will still cost you $50.00 and you can only do that 2X a year.

My phone will cut off (or reset) in the middle of calls. Not drop calls, cut off! Hell, I have had it in the front seat at a red light and seen it cut off by itself and reset back on!

Back out of the contract while you can and go to Verzion. All my friends with Verzion Treo's have no problems!

David
    I'm on my 4th 700p, and the one that I currently have needs to be replaced. If I get this one replaced, the phone will be sold.

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooDSims View Post
    Brother I have been having that problem for 6 months and Sprint will NOT give you a new phone. They will take it in the back and do a hard reset, but the only way you will get a new phone is to run over it and it will still cost you $50.00 and you can only do that 2X a year.

My phone will cut off (or reset) in the middle of calls. Not drop calls, cut off! Hell, I have had it in the front seat at a red light and seen it cut off by itself and reset back on!

Back out of the contract while you can and go to Verzion. All my friends with Verzion Treo's have no problems!

David
    My buddy has a 700p on Sprint without this problem so I am hoping it is just my phone.

I am going to raise hell if they don't take it back. The phone is not functional. I use it, put it in my pocket, then pull it out hours later with it unable to turn on. I have no way of knowing when it went dead or for how long. I need my e-mail (GoodLink) working 100% of the time, and I need to be reached for business on my phone. This is unacceptable.

My Treo 600 worked like a champ with GoodLink.
    ^did you do a clean install when upgrading from your 600? The symptoms point to a preferences database corruption issue. Hotsyncing your 700 with the same user name (no matter if you follow the instructions for upgrading devices) is almost never a good thing. Start from a hard reset and without installing 3rd party apps, use the device for a few days. If your problems persist, then return it. If it works well then install your apps the old fashioned way one at time to make sure they don't cause instability. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    ^did you do a clean install when upgrading from your 600? The symptoms point to a preferences database corruption issue. Hotsyncing your 700 with the same user name (no matter if you follow the instructions for upgrading devices) is almost never a good thing. Start from a hard reset and without installing 3rd party apps, use the device for a few days. If your problems persist, then return it. If it works well then install your apps the old fashioned way one at time to make sure they don't cause instability. Good luck.
    That's what I am doing now. I just downloaded NVBackup and backed up everything on my SD card. I am now going to do a hard reset and see if the problem is still present with no 3rd party apps installed.

Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    So I did a hard reset at 2:30 and the phone just went dead again the the way home from work. Looks like it's the phone and not the 3rd party software. I will be returning it tomorrow for a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I'm on my 4th 700p, and the one that I currently have needs to be replaced. If I get this one replaced, the phone will be sold.
    Would you be willing to indicate what was wrong each time? It's helpful to give other readers (me included) some indication of the problems we are all having.

thanks, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  9.    #9  
    So I think I narrowed it down to the EVDO radio. If I leave the data connection off the phone doesn't go dead on me. I am going to leave the data connection off all night and see if it makes it through the night. Since Sunday I have had to do a soft reset every morning just to get it to turn on.

Just more ammo when I go replace it tomorrow.
    That's wierd- I've heard & experienced the exact opposite. I have a Sprint 700p & it works beautifully & it's chock full of apps & hacks.

It does sound like a faulty radio though, try an exchange.
    I've had the same exact problem. When I go to turn the phone on, it won't power up. The phone has been down for who knows how long - no email, no calls, no text, etc. This is ovbiously unacceptable, so I took the phone to a sprint store to expain. The issue was unheard of to them. The tried to repeat the issue and of course they couldn't, b/c it requires a period of time (how long I have not been able to determine). They were totally cool though, and gave me a replacement . . . even though the issue was unrepeatable at the store. The problem is, I'm having the same problem with this new one. Now, I still have the old "having been using in a while, phone goes dead" issue, and now, when I haven't used the data connection for a period of time, when I access data and it tried to establish the connection, it locks up searching for a link. Needless to say, i'm wearing the back of my treo with all the soft resets I'm doing.

I do love this phone though, so I won't give up . . .even though I'm on my third one (first issue was a bunk phone jack). Luckily Sprint has been super cool with replacements - first sign of them giving me sh*t re: defective hardware, i'm out.
  12.    #12  
    Woke up this morning and the phone is fine with the data connection off. Definately the EVDO radio. I really hope the next phone doesn't do this!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i have had a similar problem w/ my sprint 700p. it was ok until i installed chattermail to sync with an imap account. i did get it to crash while the screen was still on. it would give me the battery low warning and count down to a shut off. the problem did not occur when the data connection was kept closed. i did a hard reset and reinstalled all my apps and its been fine for a week now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    That's what I am doing now. I just downloaded NVBackup and backed up everything on my SD card. I am now going to do a hard reset and see if the problem is still present with no 3rd party apps installed.

Thanks.
    How did you do the clean install?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=129710
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i have had a similar problem w/ my sprint 700p. it was ok until i installed chattermail to sync with an imap account. i did get it to crash while the screen was still on. it would give me the battery low warning and count down to a shut off. the problem did not occur when the data connection was kept closed. i did a hard reset and reinstalled all my apps and its been fine for a week now.
    You mentioned CHATTERMAIL. I posted the same issue over in the 700p Bugs thread. Like all of us I am trying to narrow down to root cause. Someone else mentioned that they had GOODLINK installed, and having the same issue. Others have mentioned the EVDO radio being bad. Hmmmmm.....Did you re-install Chattermail when you reinstalled all of your apps? If so, any problems? If not, any problems?

Ok, I just checked and realized that Chattermail needed the connection reset (no wonder i hadn't gotten mail in 4 hours). Anyway, Chattermail is 'listening' now. I will wait for the infamous symptoms: Lockups , Freezes , or ultimately Death.
    NickDG,
    How do you turn off the EVDO Radio?

rd
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdevet View Post
    NickDG,
    How do you turn off the EVDO Radio?

rd
    Just disconnect the data connection. Under the Network preferences.
  18.    #18  
    I got my replacement today. The guy that helped me didn't even flinch when I asked for a replacement. Very nice service in that regard from Sprint.

So far so good.
  19.    #19  
    Phone has been perfect. No problems at all so far.

If you have this problem with the phone, take it back. Hardware problem.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enolamyecart View Post
    You mentioned CHATTERMAIL. I posted the same issue over in the 700p Bugs thread. Like all of us I am trying to narrow down to root cause. Someone else mentioned that they had GOODLINK installed, and having the same issue. Others have mentioned the EVDO radio being bad. Hmmmmm.....Did you re-install Chattermail when you reinstalled all of your apps? If so, any problems? If not, any problems?

Ok, I just checked and realized that Chattermail needed the connection reset (no wonder i hadn't gotten mail in 4 hours). Anyway, Chattermail is 'listening' now. I will wait for the infamous symptoms: Lockups , Freezes , or ultimately Death.
    The problem seems to occur much more frequently with Chattermail installed. There seems to be some problem with Chattermail keeping mailboxes online. I'm using an IMAP server to push email to me. I did a hard reset to cure this problem a week ago and my Treo was working perfectly. Then on Friday and Saturday I started getting occasional problems. Today it is back to how it was pre-hard reset. I'm going to do another hard reset tonight and see what happens.