Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This link is off the Battery page, but it may also be causing issues!

Exceprt:

"Sync cradle compatibility and battery issues with Treo 680

Older sync cradles, such as the cradle kit for LifeDrive, Palm TX, Tungsten T5 and E2, and also older Treo 650 smartphones, are not compatible with Treo 680 smartphones. If you use one of these incompatible cradles with a Treo 680, you may see these symptoms:

Reduced battery life: This can be caused by incorrect electrical signals being sent to the Treo 680 during charging in the cradle.
    Background applications running without your knowledge: An incompatible cradle can cause unpredictable results, and possibly leave the smartphone in a state where background applications are running, such as the car kit application, even if the application has not been activated. You may notice that your indicator light (LED) is glowing solid green or red unexpectedly.
    Smartphone can't sleep: The signals may prevent the smartphone from going into power saving ("sleep") mode, reducing your standby time.
    Noticeably reduced battery life based on the above symptoms. "

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(42891)
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Thanks for that tip.
    But what's to do, if one has used it for three or four chargings?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I guess the $64,000,000 question is does it cause permanent damage? I am the unlucky owner of three cradles, two are verified a and b non-usable versions and the third setting on my desk at work unchecked till morning. It seems to me that this may well be the answer to the mystery! I have a collegue at work who got a copper at the same time I got my arctic and he does not have a cradle. I had a 650 so I did. His battery life is good, mine stinks.

Hopefully this can be fixed with a reset or worst case a new battery?

greg
    This is absolutley astounding, all this time I have been using my Revision B cradle to charge and now I find out it could damage the battery..Palm WTF are you doing here.
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
  5.    #5  
    I am wondering if it goes farther than this, that the chargers for the 3.6V Lifedrive and Treo650 are no good with the 680. I know the diagram shows that you can use the sync cable and "world" charger, but they could possibly be a little different.

My 680 Charger says 5.2V and the 650/Lifedrive's charger was 5V

I think we are on to something!!!!
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Well I got a 680 cradle a month ago from palm - 650/680 compatible on the box

Its rev B (bad)

part no. 180-10022-01 (good?)

so I have no idea if it's ok or not........
  7.    #7  
    Please note:

Compatible:

Part number 180-10022-00 Rev C (see next section, below), which is SKU 3198WW.

Part number 180-10022-01. This label is visible through the retail package.
    Cradles with SKU 3198WWZ

All newer sync cradles with "Treo 680" compatibility listed on the package

but not these:

Part number 180-10022-00 Rev A (see next section, below)
    Part number 180-10022-00 Rev B (see next section, below)
    Sync cradles from old palmOne branded products
    Sync cradles from Handspring products
    Sync cradles from old Palm-branded products
    Sync cradles from LifeDrive mobile manager
    ... or any sync cradle that does not list compatibility with Treo 680 on its packaging
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Following Red's explanation. I think this is what they mean:

Not Compatible with Treo 680
    - 180-10022-00: Rev A and Rev B

Compatible with Treo 680
    - 180-10022-00 Rev C
    - 180-10022-01 (any Rev)
    - SKU 3198WWZ (any Rev)
    - Cradles that mention "Treo 680" on the package (any Rev)
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    After reading this thread, I disconnected my cradle, soft reset my palm and charged my arctic to full. Been using it for 2+ hours with Chatter on and made 2 short calls. It is showing 98%. I think the cradle was the issue, since before I would have been well under 85%. Makes a lot of sense really. It explains the hit or miss of some having problems and some not. It also explains how Palm might have missed this. I am sure they have access to newer cradles and would have been less likely to use older not compatible 650 cradles. I am hoping this makes a difference.

greg

PS anyone want some cradles cheap?
    Last edited by Templar; 01/18/2007 at 08:58 PM.
    I might, if you have the Palm Cradle Kit lying around (the non-Treo one) .

Wow, good golly I'm lucky I got a Rev. C Treo cradle. Geez that explains why I'm so happy with my 680 and everyone else is cursing it..ha.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    I wonder if this is why my 750 says it's charging in me Seidio Innodock but actually isn't..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I wonder if this is why my 750 says it's charging in me Seidio Innodock but actually isn't..
    I have 2 Innodocks and 1 Innodock Jr that I've been using with my 680. They all charge my 680, but I wonder if they are considered "compatible".
  13.    #13  
    I have e-mailed Seidio about this battery charger.

http://affiliate1.smartphoneexperts..../large/382.jpg

They stated that this is NOT compatible with the 680's battery
    If that's the case I wonder why they are still selling them for the 680.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    I have e-mailed Seidio about this battery charger.

http://affiliate1.smartphoneexperts..../large/382.jpg

They stated that this is NOT compatible with the 680's battery
    Okay I'm sorry, your pic doesn't show up for me in your post. I thought you meant you had emailed about the InnoDocks. But I still wonder if the InnoDocks are compatible. I have the white one that I got here at TC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    One indication for compatibilty may be the number of pins. If you look closely at the sync cables (which Palm seems to indicate are compatible with the 680) they only have 10 pins used. The Palm cradles have a full set of 18. If the after market cradles have the same number of pins as on the cable it should work. If it has a full set of pins it may or may not work. I would check with the manufacturer to be sure.

I got the specs and pinouts on the cradle from palm. I was thinking it might try to modify my a or b rev to see if I can make it work. I have sacrificed one of my cradles and if I get it working I will post my results. I just hate to think I am going to have to spend another $100+ to have cradles in the locations I need them.

greg
    Aw damn, just checked my cradle again and I have a Rev. B! Grrr...so now I have to get another cradle. This really is quite ridiculous, how can the same general design, no the SAME port design, be incompatible? Not terribly impressed with the way Palm handled this one either. At least let people know (like they did with the camera patch) and give us something in compensation. I don't care if it's a free software download or whatever, but this really is poor customer relations. "Great, I bought a new 680, used it with my ol' 650's cradle and now I've fried my 680's battery and charging circuitry?"

Is that what we're supposed to be content with?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Hey! Treocentral Store Staff!!!

Opportunity knocks... How about a Terrific Tuesday Special on 680 cradles???
    Does this whole incompatibility issue apply to the actual chargers and/or cables also or is it only limited to the Palm cradles?

There is no doubt that the language used by Palm is quite confusing. Why they simply cannot just list all the permutations and combinations of compatible and non-compatible cradles is something beyond me. It would add up to a few more lines of text but then there would be no room for confusion.

Has anyone tried to contact Palm to get a clarification on this? I think that would be a lot simpler than us trying to decipher what it is they mean, for at the end of it there would always remain some room for doubt without a clarification by Palm itself.

Personally I am more than pissed, since I just bought my cradle for the Treo 680 a week ago from the SFO-Palm store.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 01/21/2007 at 04:01 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast