Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure the problem is caused by the "extra pins" on the cradle versus the cable. If you look close at the cable it only uses a few pins and has some missing. The cradle on the other hand has all the pins. It'd be my guess that most if not all cables and power supplies would be ok. I am using my old cable and power supply from my 650 and it seems to be fine. Someone here noted some of the 650 supplies were 5.0V and then new ones were 5.2V. My 650 (one of the 1st ones sold) has a 5.2V. I don't think that is too big a deal since usb operates between 4.75V to 5.25V and the 680 is designed to charge from usb.

greg
    You are lucky, calm down.
    If you bought your cradle last week you can return it.
    I bought my cradle over a year ago... Just wasted money at this point...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I feel your pain

I have three of the ones that don't work!

greg
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    You are lucky, calm down.
    If you bought your cradle last week you can return it.
    I bought my cradle over a year ago... Just wasted money at this point...
    Returning it is not all that simple, considering that I live in India and a friend of mine visiting from the US got the cradle for me last week. Even if I am able to return it I am not going to be able to get another one anytime soon. What really upsets me the most is the fact that unlike yourself, I bought the cradle specifically for the Treo 680 and that too from a Palm store. You'd think that atleast the Palm store would only sell accessories that were compatible with the phone they are sold for.
    Here's a new piece of information: I sent an email to Seidio and just received their response that the Innodock Cradle (for the Vaja case) I purchased in early January is fully compatible with the Treo 680 (although the MTDN Store lists it as "For Treo 650" and it does not list the 680 in the compatibility list). That was such a relief to me!

Unfortunately, the cradle I was using every day for over a month at home before I got the Innodock was a SKU 180-10022-00 Rev A, so it is NOT compatible. Hopefully, there will be no long-term effects!
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    I have 2 Innodocks and 1 Innodock Jr that I've been using with my 680. They all charge my 680, but I wonder if they are considered "compatible".
    I received an email response from Seidio's Tech Support regarding my Inno.dock inquiry. They said that the models I have (Inno.dock #CRSIDPATR650 and Inno.dock Jr #CRDSIJTR700-BK) are safe to use with the 680.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I am pretty sure the problem is caused by the "extra pins" on the cradle versus the cable. If you look close at the cable it only uses a few pins and has some missing. The cradle on the other hand has all the pins. It'd be my guess that most if not all cables and power supplies would be ok. I am using my old cable and power supply from my 650 and it seems to be fine. Someone here noted some of the 650 supplies were 5.0V and then new ones were 5.2V. My 650 (one of the 1st ones sold) has a 5.2V. I don't think that is too big a deal since usb operates between 4.75V to 5.25V and the 680 is designed to charge from usb.

greg
    Hiya all,

Does anyone have an idea what the difference is between a rev. A or B and a Rev C palm cradle?? Is it only the pin layout or is there more?
    Is it possible to adapt your cradle to Rev C?

Johan
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    There still seems to be some confusion about 3rd party chargers. I bought the Mobi TR65-P-CRADLE and have no idea if it is good or bad. The Treocentral store still lists it as compatible with the 680 (as of last night), but it is marked as a 650 cradle. I'll see if I can get any info from Mobi.

(Later EDIT) Now that I tried, does anyone know how to contact Mobi? I can't seem to find a web address or other contact info?
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 01/23/2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    That's a relief about the Seido charger. I have to admit that I'm somewhat confused and dumbfounded about this problem, especially given how this appears to be a silent problem for the Treo 680, not unlike high blood pressure, which causes damage without any symptoms.

So, it appears that if you have the Seido Innodock you're okay, but with a Palm cradle, you need to check the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    I received an email response from Seidio's Tech Support regarding my Inno.dock inquiry. They said that the models I have (Inno.dock #CRSIDPATR650 and Inno.dock Jr #CRDSIJTR700-BK) are safe to use with the 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    That's a relief about the Seido charger. I have to admit that I'm somewhat confused and dumbfounded about this problem, especially given how this appears to be a silent problem for the Treo 680, not unlike high blood pressure, which causes damage without any symptoms.

So, it appears that if you have the Seido Innodock you're okay, but with a Palm cradle, you need to check the model number.
    I'm not sure you can make that assumption about all Innodocks, regardless of model number or age. usskaos1 and I both emailed Seidio about our specific models of Innodock. If your model is different from the those you've seen specified as confirmed compatible by Seidio, I would suggest writing Seidio yourself to ensure yours is also compatible.
    Does anyone know what makes the cradle incompatible. Was it the spec that Palm sent out to the manufacturers or was it the manufacturer itself? If something changed between the 650 and the 680, as it looks like it did, was this communicated to the after market folks? I doubt it, and think any aftermarket claim of compatibilty is simply, "it fits the plug and is charging the battery, so it is compatible."
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Does anyone know what makes the cradle incompatible. Was it the spec that Palm sent out to the manufacturers or was it the manufacturer itself? If something changed between the 650 and the 680, as it looks like it did, was this communicated to the after market folks? I doubt it, and think any aftermarket claim of compatibilty is simply, "it fits the plug and is charging the battery, so it is compatible." I bought my cradle through this site as a 680 compatible cradle, can I return it now that we know it isn't compatible?
    I can tell you that Seidio answered my question and usskaos1's after being sent the link to Palm's incompatibility post -- so if they didn't read it and ensure compatibility before answering our very specifically-worded questions, I would think they'd be liable for any damage caused by cradle incompatibility.
    I only doubt third party folks, because the problem was found long after there cradles were designed and manufactured. Most just slapped a 680 sticker on a 650 cradle, and called them compatible. How could they be? If Palm changed the standard after they were produced? Sure they charge the phone and sync, but the third party folks cannot test and have been given no guidlines by Palm to test compatability with the new 680 spec.

I am certain all claims by third party manufacturers are suspect at best, if the bulk of Palm's own cradles are not even compatable.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I suspect you're right: Given the variation among different models of cradles, no assumptions should be made. I do have the model of Innodock that you do. But this thread was as unexpected as unnerving.

Thanks for asking Seido and posting the information.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    I'm not sure you can make that assumption about all Innodocks, regardless of model number or age. usskaos1 and I both emailed Seidio about our specific models of Innodock. If your model is different from the those you've seen specified as confirmed compatible by Seidio, I would suggest writing Seidio yourself to ensure yours is also compatible.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    If you download the palm developers guide you will see that they claim that the specs for the athena connector is the same across all the treos that use it. My guess is that some of the extra pins were not defined when the early revision cradles were made. Apparently the 650 did not care about those pins. Leaving those pins in the wrong state is causing problems for the 680's. The later cradles must have the pins in the correct state for the 680 and subsequent models. I have always thought it odd that the Athena connector was heralded by Palm as the universal connector, yet the lifedrive/tungsten cradle has been from day one in-compatible with the treos. The hotsync cable has always been universal across all models. Again look at the pins and you will see that cables only pass the usb stuff (not all pins are present on the connector), but the cradles carry a full set of pins.

greg
    I now have a Treo 680, but this cradle issue may mean that it is my last Palm OS device. I, like many, have suffered through Palm's ever-changing connectors, even the "universal" one. The last one for me (before this cradle) was the incompatibility of the Palm keyboard that, for some reason, could not work with Treos. Now the cradle. Does Palm think its customers are made of money?? I'm very close to saying "Enough!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ojleblanc View Post
    I now have a Treo 680, but this cradle issue may mean that it is my last Palm OS device. I, like many, have suffered through Palm's ever-changing connectors, even the "universal" one. The last one for me (before this cradle) was the incompatibility of the Palm keyboard that, for some reason, could not work with Treos. Now the cradle. Does Palm think its customers are made of money?? I'm very close to saying "Enough!"
    It's not just Palm, it's all of them. I've had three different motorola phones, each one had a different charge connection - so I've got worthless sets of car chargers all around. I wish they'd all just standardize on a miniusb type charge port.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    They're standardizing in China to min-USB, which is nice. ojleblanc, which Palm keyboard are you talking about? The Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard works great with my 680. I share your sentiments too, but the fact that it's the same port yet it's incompatible makes it all the more ridiculous. Palm has lousy customer relations at this time, at least in the form of keeping their customers aware and informed about issues with their products. No customers, no Palm, so I think it's in their best interests to keep a good relationship with us folks!
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    ojleblanc, which Palm keyboard are you talking about? The Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard works great with my 680.
    I am referring to the "Palm Wireless Keyboard," which I had to sell in order to buy the "Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard" to work with my Treo 650. Glad to hear it works with the 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    ojleblanc, which Palm keyboard are you talking about? The Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard works great with my 680.
    I am referring to the "Palm Wireless Keyboard," which I had to sell in order to buy the "Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard" to work with my Treo 650. Glad to hear it works with the 680.

Given that the wireless keyboards are not dependent on a physical connector, I couldn't understand why Palm couldn't release a software upgrade to allow owners of the "Wireless Keyboard" to use it with the Treo 650. Even if Palm charged for this software, I would have paid it, as it surely would have been cheaper than the cost of the new "Universal Wireless Keyboard": $50 from Buy.com (lowest price at the time).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast