Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    so when they say cradle, does that mean a regular cable too?

i just ordered a travel charger and car charger for my 680 off ebay. Will they cause problems? I've never heard of a power cable needing to be from the manufacturers accessory line.
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    GREAT!
    My Palm treo cradle is a B rating which means it should not be used with my troe 680.
    So howmany of you out there are using the 650 original cradle? Ohh that;'s another extra few hundren thousand dollars for palm when we are buying there C rating cradle.
    Mine is a Rev B... and now I'm wondering what kind of foolishness it's been wreaking on my 680. Too bad they aren't taking trade-ins on these! At least they didn't tell us the old charging cables were evil too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That may or may not be their intent, but there is nothing I can see in the section where it says Rev A and RevB are simply not compatible that it only applies to certain Rev A and Rev B models. You read the above section as limiting the lower section, but the lower section does not say it is so limited. It says flatly that Rev A and B are not compatible.
    Maybe they've been editing this since it first got posted, but it definitely says "look below to see which revision of the -00 cradle you have". Maybe they could have made this clearer in the way they posted it, but Rev A/B only seems to make sense for part number ending in -00.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Now that's a true webmonkey!
    LOL! I wondered if it was just my browser that didn't interpret the HTML properly. And I also wonder how many calls support has received that they can't read this from the LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    LOL! I wondered if it was just my browser that didn't interpret the HTML properly. And I also wonder how many calls support has received that they can't read this from the LED.
    Can't you read this from the LED ? I can read this just fine ...
    J/K

LOL I saw it too but just skipped over it since it was clear to me what it should have been (and equally clear someone goofed when making those instructions)
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  6.    #26  
    Outsourcing...
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Hmm, i have a third party Insten Cradle... i hope it's okay!!
    Watch it. My cradle is a "Rev A" model, which according to the text, is "not compatible with a Treo 680"
    What it says is:
    "This Treo 650/700p cradle may be compatible with Treo 680. Look at the "Rev" version to check (see below)."

Then, I suppose the text in the next section applies. And Rev A and Rev B are not compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    What it says is:
    "This Treo 650/700p cradle may be compatible with Treo 680. Look at the "Rev" version to check (see below)."

Then, I suppose the text in the next section applies. And Rev A and Rev B are not compatible.
    Yes. That is what it clearly says. But apparently it is not what it means, because some Rev A and/or Rev B are, in fact, compatible, according to the SKU and Part Number. The real problem with the ambiguity of its structure and text is that it doesn't say which overrides which. I assume the SKU and Part Number override the comment about Rev A and Rev B because of what they shipped me WITH my 680.

Wouldn't it be bizarre if I were wrong about whether they would ship me an incompatible cradle with the 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieC View Post
    First, I'm not a MAN.
    Second, you simply have to enter the solution number I mentioned at the bottom of the page. It doesn't need that much brains to figure this out, does it ?

Following is the path which i found out by searching the Palm site for camera update:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...eraupdate.html
    I have already updated my Treo 680. Keeping my fingers crossed for a long battery life!!!
    Will revert with the results
    Wouldn't it be bizarre if I were wrong about whether they would ship me an incompatible cradle with the 680.
    I was just thinking about more of my money going to Palm when I (eventually) upgrade to a 680. I just got a cradle (Rev A... gulp!) a few months back for the 650.
    Well be sure to check out the SKU and/or part number. It may still be good--if the conventional interpretation is right.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I've installed the patch yesterday and, yep I'm still at 95% since this morning ! A real improvement from what I had before !!! Thanks Palmattitude.org ! ;-)
    I don't know I'll bother to replace the cradle if I don't also get a second battery... which is why I got the cradle for the 650 in the first place: to charge a spare battery (which I now can't use with the 680 anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I was just thinking about more of my money going to Palm when I (eventually) upgrade to a 680. I just got a cradle (Rev A... gulp!) a few months back for the 650.

Don't toss the sync or charging cables -- if you read further down in the notice it says those are still valid if you connect straight to the phone.

My guess is that the wrong resistance is configured on the cradle pins, telling the 680 that that it is connected to something other than a plain charging cradle. Perhaps it's using the resistance for a car kit cradle -- thus the warning in the notice. I wonder if you can just buy a cradle without the cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I wonder if you can just buy a cradle without the cables.
    Maybe, but not before a bunch of people buy the kits available now to replace their incompatible cradles.
    What really sucks is that I just bought a cradle for my Treo 680 last week from the SFO-Palm Store and it seems like it is not compatibale with the Treo 680.
    The listing on the bottom of the cradle:
    Part number 180-10022-01
    Rev A 0641

I feel really cheated now, specially considering the obscenely high price Palm charges for their cradle to begin with. I am just hoping that the cradle is actually compatible and that my conclusions based on Palm's very confusing and contradictory description is wrong.
    Depending upon how you interpret the text, it looks like you are in luck. 180-10022-01 seems to be one of the good part numbers. Of course, then you have the statement that Rev A and Rev B are not compatible, but the governing interpretation is that applies to cradles OTHER than yours and the others specifically mentioned as compatible.

I have the same part number, my SKU was also among the approved numbers, it is Rev A as is yours, and it was sent to me by Palm in the same package as the 680, so I sort of expect that the conventional interpretation is right, even though the language does flatly state that Rev A is incompatible. Somebody has said that there is another thread where they make it more clear, but I have not seen that.
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    GREAT!
    My Palm treo cradle is a B rating which means it should not be used with my troe 680.
    So howmany of you out there are using the 650 original cradle? Ohh that;'s another extra few hundren thousand dollars for palm when we are buying there C rating cradle.
    The cradle I was using when I had both of the 680s Palm sent me was a Rev. C cradle, and the battery life still was .

Quote Originally Posted by G_Gagné View Post
    I've installed the patch yesterday and, yep I'm still at 95% since this morning ! A real improvement from what I had before !!! Thanks Palmattitude.org ! ;-)
    Hi G,
    I am not seeing any improvement since my update and first recharge. I am using wall unit for recharging. Mine stayed at 99-98% for 2 hoursa, gave me an excitement, however it drained to 5% in next 9 hours. It has been giving me a dtrain of approx. 10%/hr since I bought it in early Dec. Tell me your procedure of recharging? is it often? I did the shock therapy also (5 mints without battery and putting it back and charging it till green LED).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast