1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    http://www.splashdata.com/products/

They've improved an already great product by giving you more editing options in the desktop converter while still keeping it brain-dead simple (e.g. they auto-center and auto-crop the images to 160x160, but let you drag the image around in the window to fine-tune your cropping). Check it out!
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I just discovered that the desktop converter crashes if you try to select ONLY 16-bit color and then install the image. I've notified the developer but for the time being, the simple workaround is to select 16-bit color and 4-bit greyscale for your images.

Update: ...wow, that was fast! An hour after I had e-mailed the developer about this problem, it's fixed and the updated version is available at the same link above. Talk about responsive!
    Last edited by Rob; 03/26/2001 at 01:17 PM.
    This was a no brainer buy!!! This is the most incredible viewer that i have seen! The file sizes stay small and the images are beautiful!! Definitely better than Fire Viewer!
    I agree - Splashphoto is the way to go. The new desktop software makes photo cropping as easy as Album To Go, and the image quality on the Prism is noticeably better. Can anyone explain that? I mean, the screen is 160x160 no matter what - how can Splashphoto be so much sharper?
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by alanf
    I agree - Splashphoto is the way to go. The new desktop software makes photo cropping as easy as Album To Go, and the image quality on the Prism is noticeably better. Can anyone explain that? I mean, the screen is 160x160 no matter what - how can Splashphoto be so much sharper?
    I think that until recently, other apps either didn't take full advantage of the 16-bit color depth,or didn'toffera full-screen mode (without toolbars or menu bars -- this is one thing that drives me crazy about Peanut Reader -- why waste the screen space by not offering an option to hide this stuff!)
    Rob - that's the surprising part: ATG has been 16 bit for some time, and uses the full screen (although in the current version it seems to use the full screen only in "slideshow" mode, a change from the previous version), yet its images are clearly not as sharp. I've run ATG and Splashphoto simultaneously, switching back and forth, and the difference is quite obvious. Very weird.
    Originally posted by alanf
    ...yet its images are clearly not as sharp. I've run ATG and Splashphoto simultaneously, switching back and forth, and the difference is quite obvious. Very weird. ...
    I was a little doubtful that SplashPhoto's images would be better than AlbumToGo but, after testing it, I have to agree that SplashPhoto is better. Looks like I'm going to be registering SplashPhoto -- unless something better comes along in the next 30 days...
    Have any of you tried the MGI Mobile Edition?
    Great! There is a Mac and PC version! They are getting my $20!
    anyone know a photo viewer that can read the data off a memplug? I knot they have a jpeg viewer already, but jpegs are huge.
    I just downloaded and installed version 2.1, but the Mac desktop app doesn't have the crop feature! This is what differentiated this product from the free Handspring Album for my use. I hope they add it back.

Ken
    Just got this reply back from support on my cropping question:

It's there. Use the magnifying glass icons to zoom in/out. Move your cursor
    over the image to change it to a hand tool to position the crop.

Let me know if you have further questions.

-John