1.    #1  
    I didn't see anywhere where someone has stated this, but I've probably missed it.. I think the simple explanation is that the phone doesn't seem to be doing a proper trickle charge. Take the following picture for example:

http://unlimitedphoto.com/~wally/stuff/batterygraph.jpg

The black vertical line is where I took the phone off the charger. The blue line is the battery percentage, and the red line is the battery voltage. Notice that the battery voltage had been dropping slowly for probably 1-2 hours before I took the phone off the charger. In this case, the phone was left at 93% after unplugging.

I've seen this happen before, but the last time I saw it was when I noticed the red light was on when I woke up, indicating charging. What happened was that the voltage had dropped down a bit and charging had came back on, so the red voltage line dropped similar to above, but then the charger came back on and topped it off, causing the red line to slope back up to 100%. In that case, I was at 99% after unplugging.

So is it not trickle charging, perhaps? That's what it sounds like to me. I haven't looked at the battery.prc program during this time to see what the current shows (negative for discharging or positive for charging) but the graph from batterygraph indicates the phone is basically off the charger for a while. Note the slope of the voltage doesn't change at all.
  2.    #2  
    By the way.. I did an in-cradle reset this very night, but I didn't disable programs and some stuff was running when the Treo came back on, so I might do it again. But I don't think it's related to the above, as I've seen this a few times and this is only my second time doing the in-cradle reset.
    How are you doing the screen capture?
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    I mentioned this in something like the thirtieth page of the battery thread. I've had to unplug and replug my Treo in the morning to re-top it off. I also verified that it does the same thing with the sync-and-charge cable.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    How are you doing the screen capture?
    Snap, you can enable/disable it at will, and it can disable itself automatically.

Places the bitmaps in /PALM/Programs/Snap on the SD card.
    I preset the 4cast to automatic update the weather every morning at 6am. So that the phone will wake up and realize that it is not fully charged, and started charging. At the time i unplugged it at 6:30am, it is always at 99%.
    It is a workaround. Is this issue happened to 650 too?
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    I preset the 4cast to automatic update the weather every morning at 6am. So that the phone will wake up and realize that it is not fully charged, and started charging. At the time i unplugged it at 6:30am, it is always at 99%.
    It is a workaround. Is this issue happened to 650 too?
    I have NEVER seen this with my 650, but I'm getting identical behavior that is described here with my 680. This is yet another thing that Palm will need to fix --- very troubling to me in that they have been shipping their 680's and their CUSTOMERS are having to do all the debugging for them. What a load of excrement.
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    I don't recall ever seeing this behavior on my 650, but my 680 was suffering from the problem. After doing the no SIM battery meter reset and installing the camera patch on Thursday evening my meter now reads 99% after unplugging. Previously, my meter read anywhere between 92% and 98% (96% most days) when unplugging after an overnight charge.

I've also stopped using my Seidio cradles until I can find out whether or not they are considered compatible with the 680's charging circuitry. Palm's Knowledge Library article about cradle incompatibility causing reduced battery life has me wary about aftermarket cradle use.
  9. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Unfortunately this always happen to my Treo 680; after every overnite charge ie on unplugging the battery level drops to 96%.

What I do now to mitigate this issue is to unplug & plug back in to achieve near to 100% With this method I can get 98 to 99%

Hope there is a fix for this.

Maybe need to buy those power socket with a timer on it, so I can program to cut off power & power on again to my Treo - avoid waking up to unplug & plug to get 100%.
    Last edited by tck; 01/22/2007 at 12:37 AM.