Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I don't buy into this battery pull for a extended time thing. If this really does something don't you think Palm would tell us? That was a joke... anyway I would like to call out some clever people as to what this could really be doing. Clearing some cache maybe? Clearing a db that is hanging. I prefer the logic that could be behind this. Mythbusters challenge.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Do you have a specific thread or post that you are questioning? I cured a looping on my 650 that a soft reset did not cure, by pulling the battery and waiting 2 to 3 minutes to let the charge go out of the phone and allow the processor to shut down what it was stuck on. I put the battery back in and was good to go with no further fix required.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/17/2007 at 08:18 PM.
    Same thing with PCs. Some updates (BIOS for instance) may require disconnecting the power source for at least one minute to discharge electrical current that allows memory to hold certain information.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    This is my only relevant battery experience but it does somewhat lend credence to the battery pull argument:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...major+meltdown

SMEGGIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Do you have a specific thread or post that you are questioning?
    I think he's referring to my thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134350

All I know is my phone was pissing me off for a few months to the point where I was regretting buying it... I power-cycled it and now it works great. MP3s don't skip like they used to (at least in Kinoma... pTunes still sucks), and my phone hasn't frozen once since. Bike or Die used to freeze all the time for about 5 seconds and now it never freezes and even runs a bit faster. Taking me a bit to adjust to the increased speed

I don't think it's a cure-all, but it's worth a try for anyone that has a problem they can't fix no matter what they try. All it takes is about 15 minutes or your time. Probably much less... but I left the battery out for a long time just to make sure.
    I had to replace my Treo 700P last month and when I got the new one, I tested it out at the store and thought it was working fine. When I tried to pair it to my bluetooth headset, however, I couldn't get it to work. I also couldn't connect it to my car's bluetooth. No biggie, I thought (hoped); I'll just perform a soft reset.... no dice. Hmmm, I'll perform a hard reset... still didn't work!!!

I was pretty upset by now because I had to go back to Sprint store and get another replacement. The technician listened to my issue and gave me that "what do you mean it doesn't work" look. Well, after trying to pair my headset, she couldn't get it to work either.

She then promptly opens the case, takes out the battery and waits for about 10-15 seconds before putting it back in. After getting the welcome screen, she paired the headset to the Treo and this time it worked!

I felt stupid because I never thought of pulling the battery (who woulda thunk?) and replacing it to get my phone to work. I thought that a hard reset would was the last thing I can do.

I can't vouch for pulling the battery fixing the lags, but if your bluetooth stops working, you may want to give the battery pull technique a try.
    Let's face it - this is about the easiest thing to try that puts nothing at risk, so why not? It's not like Palm is offering us anything better...

(c'mon, firmware update!!!! Papa wants to remove a few things like Versamail, Addit.....)
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    what is that addit program anyways..i've always wondered?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I just pulled my battery and let it sit for a while. Put it back in, got a call about 2 minutes later, tried to hang up and my phone did it's usually 20 second lag before hanging up, of course queueing up all the buttons I push in an attempt to see if my phone is frozen.

Didn't help me.
    Not a myth.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag77 View Post
    I think he's referring to my thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134350

All I know is my phone was pissing me off for a few months to the point where I was regretting buying it... I power-cycled it and now it works great. MP3s don't skip like they used to (at least in Kinoma... pTunes still sucks), and my phone hasn't frozen once since. Bike or Die used to freeze all the time for about 5 seconds and now it never freezes and even runs a bit faster. Taking me a bit to adjust to the increased speed

I don't think it's a cure-all, but it's worth a try for anyone that has a problem they can't fix no matter what they try. All it takes is about 15 minutes or your time. Probably much less... but I left the battery out for a long time just to make sure.
    I pulled my battery last night out of sheer curiosity and left it out for about a minute or two. I'll be damned if it didn't speed things up a bit.

So it works - but for how long, we don't know.

SMEGGIE
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    I pulled my battery last night out of sheer curiosity and left it out for about a minute or two. I'll be damned if it didn't speed things up a bit.

SMEGGIE

The reason that it works is that removing the battery clears the palm backup cache that is powerd by the battery. It's really no different than what a vcr( for those that still have those) or a tv does. When power is off for a period of time you do the channel search all over again.
    When the treo loses power you have to restart all apps again.

NOTE: There is a difference between pulling out the battery and letting the battery go dead. It has been my experience that none of the treo'slike have ing the battery go dead whileyou are using them. ymmv
    I
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    The reason that it works is that removing the battery clears the palm backup cache that is powerd by the battery. It's really no different than what a vcr( for those that still have those) or a tv does. When power is off for a period of time you do the channel search all over again.
    When the treo loses power you have to restart all apps again.

NOTE: There is a difference between pulling out the battery and letting the battery go dead. It has been my experience that none of the treo'slike have ing the battery go dead whileyou are using them. ymmv
    I
    What's a VCR???

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Are you saying that this will cure an Access Powered loop? What is the appropriate length of time? 3 minutes?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The battery pull is no myth, I have tested it over and over again and it does work. I have seen it with my BT problems: no pairing possible even when pushing the soft reset button, but once the battery is removed, wait ~1 min, and the pluggin it back in... voila! BT connection is a Go!

Now, I'd be weary to say the battery removal can cure the lags/freezes/stutters... next thing you know the word on the street will be that pulling out the battery can cure chicken pox or somethin'
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The battery pull is no myth, I have tested it over and over again and it does work. I have seen it with my BT problems: no pairing possible even when pushing the soft reset button, but once the battery is removed, wait ~1 min, and the pluggin it back in... voila! BT connection is a Go!

Now, I'd be weary to say the battery removal can cure the lags/freezes/stutters... next thing you know the word on the street will be that pulling out the battery can cure chicken pox or somethin'
    Or worse: Palm will call this *their* fix for what ails the 700P community...

SMEGGIE
    Not to mention, a battery pull clears up any circuits and resets them. I believe something like this (well, not pulling the battery, but letting it drain) was the cure to getting the HotSync feature to work again on a Palm m5xx device that had been hit with an ESD. This let the USB circuitry reset.

Pulling the battery fixed my headset pairing issue. I deleted the headset from favs, pulled the batt and repaired.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post

SMEGGIE
    This is just kind of an update to my post above...

A day later and it still seems to be running better. I am going to make 'Battey Removal' part of my regular maintenance program...

SMEGGIE
    I tried the battery pull thing & now I'm definitely noticing huge lags that weren't there before. For me this "fix" has CAUSED the problems that it was supposed to cure.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    me too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast