1.    #1  
    I thought this might deserve it's own thread if one hasn't been started already. I can't help but notice that a $10 watch at a discount store keeps better time than my $400 Treo 680 "smart" phone (how smart can it be if it can't keep time???).

I must REALLY love Palm OS and this form-factor to put up with two HUGE issues: timekeeping and battery performance. I'm using netClock to update the time on my 680 and have to run it almost daily. What's wrong with Palm when they build a PDA that can't keep accurate time?? I don't mind the loss of a few seconds here and there over time, that's not unusual... but several minutes per DAY? Something is wrong. I'm upset at Palm for such shoddy workmanship. I've given them a lot of my $$$ over the years and have been loyal to them. It's too bad that, in the face of ever-increasing competition, they are shooting themselves repeatedly in the foot.
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Mine seems to go off maybe 30 seconds in a week.. If you reset the battery, yes, it loses time. Most often time stops when the battery came out (which makes perfect sense, although a cap to keep a RTC going would be good but I doubt it has one) and I hear with a longer power outage, it loses the time entirely.

See here for a thread on options to update the time.
    That's why I set mine to "network time". It keeps spot-on accurate time. I see very little difference in battery life too.
  4.    #4  
    I might activate the network time setting again, but I guess what I'm saying is, if the battery isn't removed at any point, and if there is always a charge left on the battery so that my 680 is never dead, why is it so terrible about keeping accurate time? I never had this problem with my 650.... nor was my 650 set to constantly recalibrate the time with my wireless network. It just seems goofy. Am I the only one that feels this way?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I use network time too. I love it, at least I know it's always right on. Like those fancy watches that sync with atomic time...only cheaper.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I might activate the network time setting again, but I guess what I'm saying is, if the battery isn't removed at any point, and if there is always a charge left on the battery so that my 680 is never dead, why is it so terrible about keeping accurate time? I never had this problem with my 650.... nor was my 650 set to constantly recalibrate the time with my wireless network. It just seems goofy. Am I the only one that feels this way?
    This is interesting, because I only use the network date and time setting immediately after I remove the battery, so I start at the correct time. After the intitial time is set from the network, I reset date and time to "nothing." My 680 keeps perfect time unless and until I remove the battery again.
  7.    #7  
    I updated my time about 2 hours ago... I've made a couple calls, used the calendar, and that's about it. Lost over a minute already. Hmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I updated my time about 2 hours ago... I've made a couple calls, used the calendar, and that's about it. Lost over a minute already. Hmmmm...
    Weird. I wonder if you got a defective phone?
    My phone kept time similar to yours Bri Guy, and I thought it was weird, considering how new a device the 680 is. But, network time makes it virtually perfect, so I'm not complaining. However, now that I think of it, I wonder how much time I'd lose if I were away from a network for a considerable period of time.
    I find the 650 and 680 the same: if you don't have network time, it loses time, at unpredictable rates, but on a highly variable way. If you didn't notice it with the 650, it may be because you didn't try it very often. With the 680, many of us are concerned with battery life and using non-network time as a possible way of extending the battery. But my recollection is that I had the same problem with the 650. Today my 680 lost 20 minutes in the middle of the afternoon for no apparent reason at all. It's true, it shouldn't lose any time at all--it's digital and should be just about as accurate as a quartz-stabilized watch. But it isn't. I don't know why.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I find the 650 and 680 the same: if you don't have network time, it loses time, at unpredictable rates, but on a highly variable way. If you didn't notice it with the 650, it may be because you didn't try it very often. With the 680, many of us are concerned with battery life and using non-network time as a possible way of extending the battery. But my recollection is that I had the same problem with the 650. Today my 680 lost 20 minutes in the middle of the afternoon for no apparent reason at all. It's true, it shouldn't lose any time at all--it's digital and should be just about as accurate as a quartz-stabilized watch. But it isn't. I don't know why.
    Thanks for recognizing my point, mdavis. I love sooooo many things about the 680 that it baffles me that simple things like keeping accurate time is lost to the 680 Everyone is providing solutions of either using network time to continually update the 680's clock or using 3rd party apps to maintain the time, but my point is.... I shouldn't have to rely on the network or 3rd party apps for this $400 pda/phone to keep accurate time like any kid's watch from a "happy meal" can do!

I guess I'll just break down and call Palm and at least voice my complaints -- I don't want to return my phone... I hope they have a firmware fix instead. Time will tell (no pun intended, of course).