1.    #1  
    Why would I buy TomTom? Other than the obvious of not having a signal one my Treo. Why does it make sense to buy GPS? Doesn't google do most of what TOMTOM does? Just curious, thx
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    If you don't need real time driving directions, then it makes no sense to carry a GPS and buy software for it. If you do, then it's worth it.
    If you know exactly where you are, and can follow the google map, then sure.

Google Maps can't use a GPS (yet perhaps?), no visual directions showing you where to go, no voice prompts, no easy point of interest, no "how the hell do I get to ZYX from here" etc.

They're not really in the same classification IMO.. Google Earth is mapping. Similarly, EarthComber is mapping. TomTom is navigation. GeoNiche is tracking, geocaching, point navigation, etc.. Just because they all are GPS-related doesn't mean they all do the same things.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    The Google Maps version i've been using does give directions from point a to point b. It even gives them in step by step phases so you can use them while driving (yeah, I know, but it doesn't really require much more attention than my nav system does). If Google Maps would allow me to save favorites it would pretty much replace Vindigo, which according to them they are in no big hurry to update for the 680. Give Google Maps a try to see if it will do what you want to do, at least if it doesn't you haven't spent a dime.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Google maps does give directions, but, one problem you have is you have to know exactly where you are in order to get directions to where you want to go. If your in a city your not familiar with, that takes a few minutes to input the data. A GPS will auto locate your current position.
    1. Voice Navigation - TomTom tells you WHEN to make a turn so you don't have to look down, memorize directions, or even read street signs.
    2. 3D Map - The display sorta looks like what you see out the windshield. Again, you don't need to know the name of the street; you just follow that road curving to the right.
    3. Real-time Re-routing - If you get lost or make a wrong turn, TomTom will automatically recalculate new directions to get you back on track.

GPS is like TiVo; those who have never used it don't appreciate how easy it is to use and the difference it can make in your life.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    1. Voice Navigation - TomTom tells you WHEN to make a turn so you don't have to look down, memorize directions, or even read street signs.
    2. 3D Map - The display sorta looks like what you see out the windshield. Again, you don't need to know the name of the street; you just follow that road curving to the right.
    3. Real-time Re-routing - If you get lost or make a wrong turn, TomTom will automatically recalculate new directions to get you back on track.

GPS is like TiVo; those who have never used it don't appreciate how easy it is to use and the difference it can make in your life.
    Well said, also keep in mind how hard it is to read a street sign at night or when you are trying to go with the flow of traffic. TomTom makes me a better and I will argue a safer driver.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I have TomTom and I downloaded Google maps when it came out. I use Google 90+ % of the time now. I've used it in cities that I have no Idea where I am going but I know where my hotel is. If I find an intersection I can go from there and use Google to make my way. I've used Google when I had my GPS with me. SO if you don't NEED someone to talk you through it, then Google will do. If you don't want to have to touch your device while driving then TomTom is the best GPS navication solution for the Treo.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Other than the obvious of not having a signal
    That's the biggest reason for me. With true GPS as long as you have a view of the sky you should never be "lost". Apps like Google Maps are great as long as you have phone coverage. Lose your signal, lose your ability to navigate.

This past weekend I was doing my part-time gig as a wrecker driver and was on the outskirts of Springfield, MA, lost beyond my wildest dreams (not my fault-the directions the customer did for me on MapQuest were for the wrong address, not to mention the contact number was wrong too.)! I had my Treo/TomTom with me AND my SD card decided to go buggy at the CT/MA line and TT wouldn't work properly. Of course, I was sure no "map" would be needed since I had GPS, so the map book was left back at the shop.

No problem, I said I still have my Treo and Nextel, I'll just use Google Maps. Alas, no Sprint signal at that moment in time in the area I was in! I had to do something no man should ever have to: stop and ask for directions!

Anyway, the lesson I learned was that until cell coverage is area-wide and foolproof, true GPS will be necessary. That, and the fact that I'm now going to carry TT loaded on a spare SD card, as well as buying a name-brand SD card for my mission-critical uses.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48 View Post
    I have TomTom and I downloaded Google maps when it came out. I use Google 90+ % of the time now. I've used it in cities that I have no Idea where I am going but I know where my hotel is. If I find an intersection I can go from there and use Google to make my way. I've used Google when I had my GPS with me. SO if you don't NEED someone to talk you through it, then Google will do. If you don't want to have to touch your device while driving then TomTom is the best GPS navication solution for the Treo.
    This doesn't make any sense to me.. Google Maps won't work with a GPS, so what if you don't KNOW where you are.. So you start searching to find where you are. Then you input where you want to go, then you have to read the static map to see where to go.

Seems you took a step backwards, but to each their own.
    Tom Tom is the best if there is traffic, if a street or freeway is closed, you can program Tom Tom while driving as with Google maps I find myself pulling over.

And when you are in the city, there is nothing like listening to the instruction while you look at the road.

When it's late a night when your tired, you push one button "Home"
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle View Post
    With true GPS as long as you have a view of the sky you should never be "lost".
    I keep hearing that, especially from more "experienced" people. But the latest gps receivers work fine without a view of the sky. I can leave my GlobalSat BT-338 in my pocket with no problems.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    This doesn't make any sense to me.. Google Maps won't work with a GPS, so what if you don't KNOW where you are.. So you start searching to find where you are. Then you input where you want to go, then you have to read the static map to see where to go.

Seems you took a step backwards, but to each their own.
    You really should check out Google Maps. I wouldn't say that it is a replacement for a GPS device, but it does in fact give you step by step directions from one point to another.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    the latest gps receivers work fine without a view of the sky
    In the case of my TT receiver, it has trouble aquiring the signal initially. Once it's locked on, I can carry it in my pocket too.

My point, though, was that GPS technology should essentially work anywhere at anytime, while cell coverage can be spotty.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    GPS software (I use TomTom on my Treo 700p) just makes traveling a lot more of a pleasant thing, especially when you're in or traveling to unfamiliar destinations. As someone said before, you don't appreciate it until you start using it, then you don't want to be without it. It's also great when you get stuck in traffic and can select an alternative route to your destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    You really should check out Google Maps. I wouldn't say that it is a replacement for a GPS device, but it does in fact give you step by step directions from one point to another.
    I have it, just not much use.. I use it for the satelite views mainly. Otherwise I generally use Earth Comber. Reason I use EC is I have thousands of waypoints in it.