1.    #1  
    I moved back to Macs this past June and, with it, I installed the Palm Desktop for Mac (v4.2.2) that came with my TX. Let me just say how shocked I was (having previously used the Windows version) at how counter-intuitive, under-developed and, well - just plain ugly the Desktop for Mac was.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Desktop for WinOS, imagine a two to three paned window (depending on the feature opened) with a folder pane on the left offering direct access to the regular PalmOS software and a shortcut to Docs2Go, if installed. Click any icon (which matched the icon on your Palm) in this pane and to the right a clearly designed and intuitive representation of the software would appear for viewing, editing and adding to. Calendar, Contacts, Memos, Notes, Expenses, Media - it's all there.

Very Mac-like in fact.

Now, look at the Mac version. A cluttered and user-unfriendly toolbar that does not give you access to all of the PalmOS software (some of hose must be opened in separate programs as found in the Palm folder, if they exist at all) opening up individual windows that are perhaps some of the ugliest viewed on a Mac OSX. Navigation within these windows in dodgy at best and the whole effect is of a quickly bodged-together effort.

A recent (sideways) upgrade to a Treo 680 brought with it the same ugly Desktop.

What happened? is Palm so busy brown-nosing the wireless companies (and going thru yet another restructuring) that they can't afford (or be bothered) to put a few designers and programmers in a room to come up with a decent Desktop? Given that Palm is - currently - the only PDA to natively support MacOS and given the resurging popularity of the Mac, you think they'd try a lot harder.

The Palm Desktop for WinOS is a marvel - for MacOS, a disaster - and I have no real desire to make do with iSync or the workaround Missing Sync.

Its almost enough to consider Parallels or Crossover just to run the Desktop!
    Palm's lack of support for Macs is glaring and obvious, I agree with you. This is something that Mac users have known for a very long time. Fortunately we will soon see a cell phone operating system that has consideration for Mac users. For right now, if it is important to you to improve your mac PIM setup, you might want to consider trying missing sync combined with ical or entourage. I have have used both but prefer ical because I like Mac OSX Mail and Address book better than Entourage's.
  3.    #3  
    The biggest problem to the Mac alternatives to the Desktop (for me) is that this software scatters your info to several different programs - if supported at all - rather than keeping all the info, like on the Palm, accessible in one central location, as does Palm Desktop for WinOS

Palm Desktop for Mac is, frankly, not much better than the alternatives, while the alternatives at least have the benefit of being visually attractive. But I can't see the advantage of having to open a range of programs to access your Palm info.

As for a 'cell phone that has consideration for Mac users' - yes, well....the Apple phone may be that - but it won't have the plethora of software available to it that Palm does - and certainly none of it will be free. And, at the end of the day, it will still scatter your info amongst a number of programs. No improvement there.
    Is there anything that Missing Sync does that Palm Desktop doesn't? How about iSync?

I'm trying to help my mother-in-law switch from a PC and thought that Missing Sync would be the way to go, but one of her apps doesn't sync with Missing Sync (Unbound's Davis Drug Guide).

I think missing sync works with iPhoto, which Palm Desktop does not. Anything else?

Does iSync work okay?

kman
    If you're using Treo + Mac, I strongly recommend using:

• Contacts: Apple's built-in "Address Book" application
    • Calendar and Tasks: Apple's built-in "iCal" application
    • Memos: Missing Sync's memo application
    • Synchronization of above with Treo: Missing Sync
    • Synchronizing music (non-DRM): Missing Sync or (better) SyncTunes (free!)
    • Synchronizing photos: don't sync. Just copy them to the SD card using a SD card reader, and view them with AcidImage.

And use Palm's Mac applications for:
    Nothing.

Yes, iSync does work, and HotSync for Mac works, and the Palm Desktop for Mac works, but the above arrangement costs only $70 more (Missing Sync = 40, AcidImage = 30) and is soooo much smoother. If you wanted a bargain basement computer/phone/pda setup, why would you go with Apple/Treo in the first place?
    Last edited by bobodobo; 01/18/2007 at 01:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    When I first got my iMac after switching from PC I initially synced my TT via iSync. It worked fine with Address Book & iCal, but when I wanted to use Entourage instead I had problems.
    I ended up getting Missing Sync and since then it has almost work faultlessly (except for when my TT died!).
    I've since upgraded Missing Sync to the latest version which allows you to sync both iPhoto & iTunes, something you could never do with Palm Desktop on a PC!
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Well when Treos were initially developed Macs were practically extinct, even MS threatened to drop Office from production and several companies including quicken did drop all mac software.

I am now on a Mac and would hope for more support now that Apple has finally resurged with ipod fame.

I am sure the market for treo users who are also Mac users is very small. (although maybe growing)
  8.    #8  
    Call me crazy but I see no reason why a Palm user should need to go to a 3rd Party provider (and the expense involved) to do what should be expected (and is already capable of being done on another OS) from sync'ing software included with a Palm device.

If that's really the case - having to find clever workarounds to make the device useful - then I guess I should have 'bitten the bullet' and bought myself the SymbianOS Nokia E61. Then, and for less money, at least I would have gained wifi, a larger screen and a fan (and software) base that rivals Palm's.

Palm (and ACCESS) seem determined to alienate its fan base - quietly dropping programs with each OS release, failing to keep the software they do keep up-to-date and spending more time keeping their wireless partners happy at the expense of the end-user.
    While Treo has been out only a comparatively short time, the PalmOS (including the Desktop) has been around for the MacOS almost from the beginning. Palm is hardly in any position to give up Support on an OS with a dodgy history, if that's their argument against Mac. If that was the case, we'd all probably be running Linux or Symbian Palms by now...

;-)

Small wonder then that the iPhone idea is actually gaining traction - despite significant shortcomings. Though, of course, as I noted in an earlier post, it'll scatter your stuff all over your Mac, too....
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    If you're using Treo + Mac, I strongly recommend using:

• Contacts: Apple's built-in "Address Book" application
    • Calendar and Tasks: Apple's built-in "iCal" application
    • Memos: Missing Sync's memo application
    • Synchronization of above with Treo: Missing Sync
    • Synchronizing music (non-DRM): Missing Sync or (better) SyncTunes (free!)
    • Synchronizing photos: don't sync. Just copy them to the SD card using a SD card reader, and view them with AcidImage.

And use Palm's Mac applications for:
    Nothing.

Yes, iSync does work, and HotSync for Mac works, and the Palm Desktop for Mac works, but the above arrangement costs only $70 more (Missing Sync = 40, AcidImage = 30) and is soooo much smoother. If you wanted a bargain basement computer/phone/pda setup, why would you go with Apple/Treo in the first place?
    The problem is that Missing Sync doesn't work with a conduit that my mother-in-law finds essential. I emailed the MS guys and they just responded that they didn't see it on their list of guaranteed conduits. Not even a "We'll look into adding support". Not so good.
    kman42, what conduit is that?

I have given up on syncing my Treo with my mac since I switched a couple of years ago. I have tried Palm Desktop for Mac and was dismayed that some data doesn't sync across. I bought Missing Sync but IMHO it's just too unreliable - I can get 'successful' syncs but only realize days later that SOME data (a birthday there, a secondary contact number there) is gone. I just can't accept the randomness of the sync so I decided to just give up trying to make it work. I sync with Palm Desktop on a PC in the office but am continually frustrated of no good solution for a mac...
    Did you use iCal for task management? I tried to switch back to OSX apps, but I found iCal's task management features woefully inadequate. Tried EasyTask, but that didn't work reliably either. So now I am back to Entourage, which I hate, and it still doesn't sync right! AGHH

Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Palm's lack of support for Macs is glaring and obvious, I agree with you. This is something that Mac users have known for a very long time. Fortunately we will soon see a cell phone operating system that has consideration for Mac users. For right now, if it is important to you to improve your mac PIM setup, you might want to consider trying missing sync combined with ical or entourage. I have have used both but prefer ical because I like Mac OSX Mail and Address book better than Entourage's.
    So if you want to trash the Palm desktop software, and go with Isync and Missing Link ... then is there any benefit for Mac users to use a 700p over a wx?

(I agree, we shouldn't have to buy a third party app to make it functional, but we shouldn't be forced to use a 3rd party app. like Palm Desktop, when OSX comes with a full set of tools that are plenty for most users, either.)
  13.    #13  
    Well blipstutter, I guess it may be a question of semantics here - I don't think of Palm Desktop as a 3rd Party product, insofar as it came with the hardware it is meant to support. Its really nothing more than the control panel (and representation) of the hardware and its software involved. Nothing unusual in that. A lot of hardware installs such things on our computers.

Now granted, OSX has a Calendar, Address Book and Media Players (QT, iTunes and iPhoto), but they are not built to support Palm, and their efforts - even when applicable thru iSync - are pretty poor for most things not iPod. And while I 'get' the idea of only using Mac's programs, they are a range of programs rather than just one centralized location.

I am saying that Palm Desktop, in its WinOS configuration, is essentially a one-stop shop for all the info one keeps on their Palm device, logically designed and graphically appealing - as it should be - while the MacOS version is entirely the opposite. Why didn't they just port the whole WinOS version over?
    Quote Originally Posted by 232jrfeuioh View Post
    Did you use iCal for task management? I tried to switch back to OSX apps, but I found iCal's task management features woefully inadequate. Tried EasyTask, but that didn't work reliably either. So now I am back to Entourage, which I hate, and it still doesn't sync right! AGHH
    I use categories but I do not use repeating or dated tasks. If something is time sensitive I put it on the calendar instead of tasks. Therefore my tasks requirement is probably simpler than most and ical is adequate. I actually like the bare bones quality. I agree if you have more complex task requirements, Entourage is better. There definitely is room for improvement with both apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacebar View Post
    kman42, what conduit is that?
    It's the conduit for the Davis Drug Guide from Unbound. When missing sync gets to it, the treo thinks it finishes the sync, but missing sync just gets stuck, requiring a force quit.

kman
    I had major agita over the Palm Desktop 4.2.2. tonight when I upgraded to a 680 from the 650. Tons of transport errors, permissions problems, etc...finally called Palm after having been given the runaround by Cingular (which told me the "680 won't work with the Mac, and isn't supported"), and wound up reinstalling 4.2.1d.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I use MS Entourage and sync using Missing Sync. No problems whatsoever. Missing Sync does everything that Hotsync SHOULD do and then a lot more. Entourage keeps all your info in the same app, unlike Apple's apps that do in fact have you info all over the place. I'd switch to Apple's apps in a second if they would combine them all together like Entourage does.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Quote Originally Posted by likelite View Post
    I had major agita over the Palm Desktop 4.2.2. tonight when I upgraded to a 680 from the 650. Tons of transport errors, permissions problems, etc...finally called Palm after having been given the runaround by Cingular (which told me the "680 won't work with the Mac, and isn't supported"), and wound up reinstalling 4.2.1d.
    HA! it's amazing to me that Cingular/AT&T is going to solely support the iPhone, when they've been so anti-mac for such a long time. All those companies who've dropped support for the Mac OS are so shortsighted.

Hey, sorry about your mother-in-law's conduit problem. It's strange that it should be giving you problems in MS that don't occur with Palm Crap Desktop. Perhaps you should contact the conduit's author for support, and maybe see if there's a version upgrade.

Missing Sync is essential, period. The best Palm App ever written.
    It's sad that WM5 provides a better user experience on the Mac than Palm OS. But it's true. I don't miss the Palm OS one bit. And I love my Mac.