1.    #1  
    A few months ago my Sprint 700p, out of nowhere, started freezing every few minutes... for about 5-7 seconds it would do nothing, and then suddenly whatever I typed or touched would all be done at once when it came back to life. I ran PalmInternals and changed options and got rid of inefficient programs, backed everything up and re-installed one at a time, tried all different combos, etc etc. Hard reset and Selectively Restored my phone with different combos of programs probably 20 times. The lag wouldn't go away.

I read someone's post today about taking out the battery to solve the problem with SMSs not showing up... I had to do that once before, a long time ago. I realized I hadn't done that in awhile, so I gave it a whirl... took the battery out and left it out for probably 10-15 minutes. After I put it back in, my phone hasn't frozen once. It's been about 24 hours and I've reset it a few times and still no freezing.

Anyone else with this problem noticed this? It drove me nuts for months... maybe a lot of the lag-problems people talk about on here could be solved by just taking the battery out for awhile.
    hmm -ill definitely try this (in the middle of the night when i dont get calls)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I have a theory on the lags.
    If your phone is on vibrate or silent, you aren't aware when the phone goes in and out of range (mine does repeatedly at my desk).
    I believe that when you notice the 5 second lag, the phone is actually searching for a network, but since you are using another application, you have no way of knowing this. Of course, if you leave the volume on (and hear a chime when you go in and out of network) and still get lags, my theory is wrong.

If you get lags and are set to vibrate or silent, try turning the volume on.

I also do a soft reset daily and rarely send text messages (and when I do, I quickly delete them).
    Last edited by haroldo; 01/17/2007 at 06:38 AM.
    The lags we are experiencing are primarily related to loading large databases. Try Agendus on a 650 and our 700s and you will see what I mean.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    The lags we are experiencing are primarily related to loading large databases. Try Agendus on a 650 and our 700s and you will see what I mean.
    Yes and No.

No: Agendus lagged on the treo 600. It is not a new problem with the 700p and the 700p does not seem to be noticably different from the 600 in this respect.

Yes: Database loads may take longer, and the dbcache is the database in question that is causing the lags.

I just want to clarify that if people see Agendus taking a long time to load, that does not mean your treo 700p is broken (because Agendus always took a long time to load, or at least for the past 3 or so major releases if not more)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    If your phone is on vibrate or silent, you aren't aware when the phone goes in and out of range (mine does repeatedly at my desk).
    I believe that when you notice the 5 second lag, the phone is actually searching for a network, but since you are using another application, you have no way of knowing this. Of course, if you leave the volume on (and hear a chime when you go in and out of network) and still get lags, my theory is wrong.

If you get lags and are set to vibrate or silent, try turning the volume on.

I also do a soft reset daily and rarely send text messages (and when I do, I quickly delete them).
    I have noticed the correlation between network searching and lags as well. This occurs a lot at home. I figure I must be right at some intersection point of Sprint and Verizon coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I meant to say, this is a great theory!
  8.    #8  
    Well, my phone still doesn't lag... and I'm almost positive it didn't lag before because it was searching for a network. At my house I have 5 bars of service and it would lag all the time... right now I'm somewhere where I get 1 or 2 bars, and sometimes 0, and it never lags. Since I power-cycled it there has been absolutely no lag... maybe the 700p is like a cable modem. You just need to power-cycle it every now and then

Anyone else had any success with this? I've gone from wanting to throw my 700p against a wall to loving it again. Hope this helps at least one person.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Yes and No.

No: Agendus lagged on the treo 600. It is not a new problem with the 700p and the 700p does not seem to be noticably different from the 600 in this respect.

Yes: Database loads may take longer, and the dbcache is the database in question that is causing the lags.

I just want to clarify that if people see Agendus taking a long time to load, that does not mean your treo 700p is broken (because Agendus always took a long time to load, or at least for the past 3 or so major releases if not more)
    I have to disagree; but also note that you are comparing the 700p to the 600 and I am comparing 700p to the 650. Agendus 10.+ (whatever rev it took to finally stabilize) was incredibly quick on the 650. Both 10.+ and 11.1 are dogs on the 700p. My wife has all of her appointments and task dating back to her first Palm over 5 years ago; I've purged my 8 years of data to only 8 months. It takes Agendus 5-6 seconds to load on my 700p and well over 20 seconds on hers. Both loaded in 1-2 seconds on the 650. The issue (for once) is not Agendus.
    Last edited by Ohmster; 01/18/2007 at 01:37 AM.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    These "cures" that keep popping up on the boards are well intended, but inneffective and misinformed. Your treo, with all the different factors such as apps, settings, network coverage, power, hardware, etc. is not often going to be the same as someone elses scenario. While some characteristics might, there are also the misinterpretation of words, vague such as: lag.

I've seen lags due to network connectivity

I've seen lags due to software working properly

and improperly

I've seen lags due to data corruption

I've seen lags from bluetooth

etc.etc.etc...

You need not to take out your battery. You need to go though a whole lot more to get your treo running smoothly and this will not fix your phone...
    And even then you may or may not disagree the 700p is buggy even when running smoothly.I lost my train of thought....
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    ... comparing 700p to the 650. Agendus 10.+ (whatever rev it took to finally stabilize) was incredibly quick on the 650. Both 10.+ and 11.1 are dogs on the 700p. ...
    Thanks for the clarification. (Now you are making me wish I had the 650 :-)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    ...Now you are making me wish I had the 650 :-)
    Buy a 650 on eBay and sell the 700 and you will probably end up with more money in your pocket!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Yup, I just sold my 650, hesitantly, because I was selling a better device.
    What's nice is that BlackFlag77 gave us something else to try, my treo 700p has been lagging a lot lately also, which leads me to believe that something is getting crowded in there, I haven't added more than 3 or 4 contacts in the time I have noticed this, at least it is something that may work, how many times have you been told or told someone to restart there computer? Why? Anything with this phone is better that sending it out the window of your car.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Had my battery out for 18 minutes. No difs whatsoever.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    These "cures" that keep popping up on the boards are well intended, but inneffective and misinformed. Your treo, with all the different factors such as apps, settings, network coverage, power, hardware, etc. is not often going to be the same as someone elses scenario. While some characteristics might, there are also the misinterpretation of words, vague such as: lag.

I've seen lags due to network connectivity

I've seen lags due to software working properly

and improperly

I've seen lags due to data corruption

I've seen lags from bluetooth

etc.etc.etc...

You need not to take out your battery. You need to go though a whole lot more to get your treo running smoothly and this will not fix your phone...
    And even then you may or may not disagree the 700p is buggy even when running smoothly.I lost my train of thought....
    I did go through a whole lot more to try to get it running smoothly. Taking the battery out worked when nothing else did. It's just something to try and I never claimed it was a cure-all.... obviously there are a lot of others things that can be wrong with someone's 700p.