Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I haven't used it much, but every time I try to go into Kinomo is scans through all my media and then freezes. When I pop the SD card out, it works fine...but the whole point it to store my stuff on the card. Any idea why it's doing that? I have to do a soft reset every time.

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by treojennifer View Post
    I haven't used it much, but every time I try to go into Kinomo is scans through all my media and then freezes. When I pop the SD card out, it works fine...but the whole point it to store my stuff on the card. Any idea why it's doing that? I have to do a soft reset every time.

    Thanks.
    Are you using a 680? I have found that certain SD cards do not work well with the 680. I have experienced these "freezes" with a 2GB Ativa card that I bought. When I pop the card out, everything works fine. The only solution I have found so far is to NOT use that card. When I use my 1GB Lexar Media card, I have no problems.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
  3. #3  
    No issues with my Transcend 150X 4GB card in conjunction with a 700P either. . . . . . . if the card is not the issue. . . . my next guess would be that the software is freezing on a corrupted media file. . . . .as well, isn't there a way to "turn off" the scan on start feature?



    EDIT:

    I knew I had read that somewhere . . . from TC's review . . . . it will be in an update soon:

    From Kinoma's mouth to my ears, here's what's planned for the next update, which will probably be V4.02, and will be free for owners of 4.x. It should arrive by mid-December, 2006:

    1. Changing the card scan behavior
    2. "Breadcrumbs" for the Kinoma Media Guide
    3. Additions and changes in the Media Guide
    In Kinoma's own words, here's what those mean:

    "Media scanning upon launch
    The number one issue raised by users has been the way our media scanning (when the program is launched each time) works. Here is how we are going to address the problem:

    Currently Kinoma Player 4.0.1 on startup scans many directories on the card and internal volumes, looking for supported media files. For each supported media file found, top-level metadata is extracted, including title, artist, album, duration, video size, and etc.. The metadata is key - Kinoma Player 4 EX provides numerous sorts and filters giving users the ability to display and browse their media in meaningful ways.

    The problem is that the scan and metadata extraction takes time - in some cases too much time - when users store thousands of files on cards or the hard disk of the Palm LifeDrive.

    To address the scan issue, we'll be adding a smart media cache to Kinoma Player 4.0.2. The cache contains not only a pointer to each supported media file, but also all the metadata and each file's date.

    The very first time Kinoma Player 4 EX sees a card or volume, the cache is built and stored to the card during the file scan. What will be new is on subsequent launches, after the cache is available on the volume, Kinoma Player 4 EX simply compares each media file's date with the copy in the cache. If nothing has changed, the file isn't opened and metadata extracted. Early timing tests indicate the cache speeds up launch time about 75%.

    Also users should no longer run into the problem where they stored media in an unsupported directory, and Kinoma Player 4 EX doesn't find/display the file. We are also giving users the ability to cancel the file and cache scan. This way, if users know that nothing changed, they can cancel the scan at launch and immediately display the Kinoma Player 4 EX media browser.
    If a scan is canceled, Kinoma Player 4 EX will simply display and uses media from the last cache saved.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/17/2007 at 01:45 PM.
  4. hrlaser's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #4  
    Hi
    Many fixes, well perhaps fixes is the wrong word - many significant changes to the Kinoma Media Player 4 EX coming shortly. Card scanning should no longer be a problem (or get in your face).. I can only speak from using it on my Sprint 700p but I think folks will be pleased with the changes and the Media guide will have an incredible number of additions. That's all I can say for now so stay tuned. As to how it interacts with a 680, I don't have a 680 and don't plan to get one, so I can't report on that. Sorry to be vague but I am sworn to secrecy for the time being
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  5. #5  
    Will one of the new features include streaming .mpg files?
  6. hrlaser's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Will one of the new features include streaming .mpg files?
    Unlikely. Hey, it won't play old Amiga animation formats either and I only have a bajillion of those. When I put some old .mpg files on my SD card, Kinoma Player 4 EX would not see or list them. I asked Kinoma why. This is what they had to say:

    "We chose to put our energy into the modern decoders that work over the air.

    MPEG-1 (MPG) was designed for CD ROM playback in 1999, and the decoders
    assumed hardware decoding with either a big CPU or a specialized hardware
    card. It takes up 4 times the space of MPEG 4 or WMV 9. The cell phone
    networks were not designed to carry this load. Also, MPEG-4 is better
    looking and much improved technically. Almost everyone makes video using the new stuff, and there are a bazillion tools that can convert the older MPEG to something current, including Kinoma Producer 4. So we chose to side step making this work and put our efforts into looking forward, not back.

    We never claimed to be able to Play MPEG-1 files and we
    won't be adding that technology in the future. It's on to the new better
    stuff like MPEG-4 and WMV9, not the MPEG from 1999."


    If you want to play old .mpg (MPEG-1) files I suggest you use TCPMP 0.71 which is free. It plays them fine or you can get Kinoma Producer 4 from Kinoma and convert your old .mpg files to .mp4 files. The little Neuros Recorder 2 Plus (which I own and I reviewed here a while back).. makes .mp4 files, and records them directly onto SD cards. I have recorded over a hundred full-length movies from my digital cable box and other sources with the Neuros onto SD cards, pulled the card out of the Neuros, shoved it into my Treo 700p, fired up Kinoma player 4 EX and it played them just fine and I'm talking about full length up to two hour long films - they play perfectly without stuttering or problems.

    Obviously you can't store a whole lot of full-length movies on an SD card, which is why I bought a 300gb LaCie external USB 2 "brick" drive (they had a sale a few months ago and that drive was only $129.00).. and I usually off-load the movies from the Neuros' SD cards onto that drive. If I want to watch a particular movie on my Treo, I can just copy it onto an SD card that has enough room for it and play it with Kinoma 4 EX. I don't have any old MPEG-1 files in 320x240 that are two hours long but I have a ton of .mp4 movies that run from one to three hours recorded with the Neuros (commerical-free, un-edited, mostly recorded from TCM and HBO and the Encore channels).. that range in size from about 100mb to 800mb, depending on the quality mode I tell the Neuros to use

    So like the Kinoma person said, they chose not to support old .mpg format files but that doesn't mean you can't play them on your Treo - just get TCPMP and its plug-ins, which will cost you nothing, and you can play them fine

    If there was just one format for digital video, life would be easy. Unfortunately there's not. There are many formats, but with the right combination of programs, you can play just about anything out there. For instance, Kinoma 4 EX is the ONLY player form PalmOS that I know of that can play Flash video (youtube.com, google.com, and so on).. and for my purposes, its built-in, dynamically and constantly-updated Media guide is what makes it one of the most compelling pieces of PalmOS software I've ever seen.

    I've never seen another piece of software that can deliver so much media of so many different types right out of the box (in other words, over a thousand links, already programmed into its Media guide, ready for you to click and enjoy).. for $20.00. I think it's a monumental piece of work

    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Unlikely. Hey, it won't play old Amiga animation formats either and I only have a bajillion of those. When I put some old .mpg files on my SD card, Kinoma Player 4 EX would not see or list them. I asked Kinoma why. This is what they had to say:

    "We chose to put our energy into the modern decoders that work over the air.

    MPEG-1 (MPG) was designed for CD ROM playback in 1999, and the decoders
    assumed hardware decoding with either a big CPU or a specialized hardware
    card. It takes up 4 times the space of MPEG 4 or WMV 9. The cell phone
    networks were not designed to carry this load. Also, MPEG-4 is better
    looking and much improved technically. Almost everyone makes video using the new stuff, and there are a bazillion tools that can convert the older MPEG to something current, including Kinoma Producer 4. So we chose to side step making this work and put our efforts into looking forward, not back.

    We never claimed to be able to Play MPEG-1 files and we
    won't be adding that technology in the future. It's on to the new better
    stuff like MPEG-4 and WMV9, not the MPEG from 1999."


    If you want to play old .mpg (MPEG-1) files I suggest you use TCPMP 0.71 which is free. It plays them fine or you can get Kinoma Producer 4 from Kinoma and convert your old .mpg files to .mp4 files. The little Neuros Recorder 2 Plus (which I own and I reviewed here a while back).. makes .mp4 files, and records them directly onto SD cards. I have recorded over a hundred full-length movies from my digital cable box and other sources with the Neuros onto SD cards, pulled the card out of the Neuros, shoved it into my Treo 700p, fired up Kinoma player 4 EX and it played them just fine and I'm talking about full length up to two hour long films - they play perfectly without stuttering or problems.

    Obviously you can't store a whole lot of full-length movies on an SD card, which is why I bought a 300gb LaCie external USB 2 "brick" drive (they had a sale a few months ago and that drive was only $129.00).. and I usually off-load the movies from the Neuros' SD cards onto that drive. If I want to watch a particular movie on my Treo, I can just copy it onto an SD card that has enough room for it and play it with Kinoma 4 EX. I don't have any old MPEG-1 files in 320x240 that are two hours long but I have a ton of .mp4 movies that run from one to three hours recorded with the Neuros (commerical-free, un-edited, mostly recorded from TCM and HBO and the Encore channels).. that range in size from about 100mb to 800mb, depending on the quality mode I tell the Neuros to use

    So like the Kinoma person said, they chose not to support old .mpg format files but that doesn't mean you can't play them on your Treo - just get TCPMP and its plug-ins, which will cost you nothing, and you can play them fine

    If there was just one format for digital video, life would be easy. Unfortunately there's not. There are many formats, but with the right combination of programs, you can play just about anything out there. For instance, Kinoma 4 EX is the ONLY player form PalmOS that I know of that can play Flash video (youtube.com, google.com, and so on).. and for my purposes, its built-in, dynamically and constantly-updated Media guide is what makes it one of the most compelling pieces of PalmOS software I've ever seen.

    I've never seen another piece of software that can deliver so much media of so many different types right out of the box (in other words, over a thousand links, already programmed into its Media guide, ready for you to click and enjoy).. for $20.00. I think it's a monumental piece of work

    Harv
    Thanks for the info, but I'm talking strictly about streaming mpg from the net, the built-in player pics/videos software can play .mpg files, I use that now.
    There are lots of websites that still use mpg files and I hate having to download the files to view them, I'd rather stream.
    I'm not knocking kinoma, I love it for it's ability to play radio and for streaming youtube.
  8. jinner's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #8  
    From Kinoma's mouth to my ears, here's what's planned for the next update, which will probably be V4.02, and will be free for owners of 4.x. It should arrive by mid-December, 2006:

    1. Changing the card scan behavior
    Hmm...any news? That card scanning thing still hasn't been fixed.
    I like Kinoma and all, but that's only for the reason that it streams. I still use ptunes to listen to my music. If they could get rid of that card scan garbage, I might be able to unload ptunes from my RAM.
    They are both RAM hogs.

    btw, slightly irritating that Kinoma doesn't offer a trial period. boo..
  9. hrlaser's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JiNnEr View Post
    Hmm...any news? That card scanning thing still hasn't been fixed.
    I like Kinoma and all, but that's only for the reason that it streams. I still use ptunes to listen to my music. If they could get rid of that card scan garbage, I might be able to unload ptunes from my RAM.
    They are both RAM hogs.

    btw, slightly irritating that Kinoma doesn't offer a trial period. boo..
    Kinoma is furiously working to get the update out. The card scanning routine will be fixed. There's no trial period because the various codecs used in the Player are licensed from different companies some of whom don't allow their codecs to be used in trial software. So any trial version would be missing some codecs and wouldn't be able to do everything the registered version can do. That's why there's no trial version

    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  10. jinner's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    There's no trial period because the various codecs used in the Player are licensed from different companies some of whom don't allow their codecs to be used in trial software. So any trial version would be missing some codecs and wouldn't be able to do everything the registered version can do. That's why there's no trial version

    Harv
    ah...! cool. That makes sense. Although I was pretty choked when I shelled out the money for it and the first thing I see is Kinoma running through my 4GB card with all music. yeesh....

    But at least they are making an honest effort to change it for their users
  11. #11  
    i moved all my mp3 from the audio folder to palm\programs\pocket tunes.

    kinoma doesnt scan them there.

    and I also put every mp4 into palm\programs\kinoma, so the palm camara app doesnt see them.

    but according to kinoma (on their forum), the update will scan the whole card again. eeek.

    http://forum.kinoma.com/showthread.php?t=1241
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you for all your posts..I do think that the scanning thing is the problem. It gets hung up during the scan each time but i I pop the card out I can get into the Media guide...but as soon as I point to the card it freezes and I have to do a reset.

    I will keep a lookout for the update...do you know if their updates are free? I didn't buy it that long ago (a few months maybe) and I really haven't used it because of this problem.
  13. hrlaser's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by treojennifer View Post
    Thank you for all your posts..I do think that the scanning thing is the problem. It gets hung up during the scan each time but i I pop the card out I can get into the Media guide...but as soon as I point to the card it freezes and I have to do a reset.

    I will keep a lookout for the update...do you know if their updates are free? I didn't buy it that long ago (a few months maybe) and I really haven't used it because of this problem.
    The update to Kinoma Media Player 4 EX will be out shortly. If you are a registered owner it will be free. It should solve your problem. I have it and I know what's changed in it and what's been added to it, but I can't talk about it until they release it. At that time or shortly thereafter, I'll have an article about it so please, folks, don't ask me any questions about "is this or that in it" because I can't and won't answer those questions until it's released. Hopefully it'll be released this coming week but that's not a promise. I don't work for Kinoma but I've tested half a dozen revisions of the program for them since they first released it

    I will say that there's a whole new vastly expanded section in the vastly expanded Media Guide that I gave them ALL the links for. OTR fans will be very happy

    Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 01/27/2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  14. #14  
    The number one new feature that Kinoma devs can add is a new music/video navigation menu. I would like to browse by artist, album, or genre like iTunes and PTunes. Also fix the bug that pauses the music intermittently when the screen goes to sleep (when streaming OR playing an audio file.)

    My theory is that Kinoma was pushed out early to beat the new PTunes 4. How else can you explain the shoddy implemented features and menu system. I would so switch to PTunes only if it could stream WMA so I can listen to lower bitrate streams when MP3 options are too high. Now if I had EVDO this wouldn' be a problem but stupid Sprint and their 2 year contracts
  15. wbwjr's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #15  
    Now if I had EVDO this wouldn' be a problem but stupid Sprint and their 2 year contracts [/QUOTE]



    Even if you had EVDO it would be a problem. I get nothing but buffer errors win Kinoma 4EX even after researching the forums and using it in excellent coverage areas.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    Now if I had EVDO this wouldn' be a problem but stupid Sprint and their 2 year contracts


    Even if you had EVDO it would be a problem. I get nothing but buffer errors win Kinoma 4EX even after researching the forums and using it in excellent coverage areas.[/QUOTE]


    me too!!
  17. #17  
    What I meant was that if I had EVDO I can dump Kinoma and switch to PTunes for all my streaming needs since some sites only stream MP3's at 64kps and my Treo 650 can't handle that without alot of buffering.

    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    Even if you had EVDO it would be a problem. I get nothing but buffer errors win Kinoma 4EX even after researching the forums and using it in excellent coverage areas.

    me too!![/QUOTE]

Posting Permissions