Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased a Treo 680 from a Cingular store and it was on Wednesday night. On Friday I wore it to work to set it up and play with it. The screen cracked while in the Cingular leather case. Cingular says this is an out of warranty fix and so it can only repaired at full cost which for them is over $200. Or I could go to Palm (whom I called and they charge $199). I have owned several PDAs (m100,m105,m125,T-E, T-E2,650) and I have never seen a screen crack like this and those were all dropped at some point in their usage. This seems like a production issue and there are several reports of it happening or other damage due to dropping the phone just once so please be careful or you will be stuck like me with a $300 paperweight because I cant bear to sink another $200 bucks into this phone just 3 days after I shelled out almost half a grand to buy it!!!
    Makes me wonder why Cingular doesnít offer at least a few days of full warranty support??
    Are you sure it wasn't cracked before that and you just didn't notice. Maybe it arrived that way and you just have amnesia right now. Can you tell them it was cracked when you first went to use it?

EDIT: CALL AGAIN (... AND AGAIN (... AND AGAIN))) UNTIL SOMEONE SYMPATHETIC LETS YOU RETURN IT!

EDIT: Another idea: Try and tell them it broke on it's own, and that you no longer want the phone or their service!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Are you sure you didn't drop it (and that it wasn't dropped by your kids, your dog...)?

I've had several Treos, and regularly keep them in my pocket (often with keys, etc.) and have never had a problem despite treating them fairly roughly. In general, the screen is made of an incredibly tough material with an anti-scratch coating that can take a real beating.

The only broken screens I've seen result from dropping the device >4 feet onto pavement or cement. Drops onto carpet seem to be OK generally (but don't try this at home!) Even with pavement, devices seem to survive most of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    Are you sure you didn't drop it (and that it wasn't dropped by your kids, your dog...)?...
    Or put the case in your back pocket on the way to work?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I'd speak to a supervisor about that!

Also if you paid by CC, dispute the charges. Say you had a defective phone. It seems you might if you didn't do anything to the phone but put it in a case and wear it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasin View Post
    I just purchased a Treo 680 from a Cingular store and it was on Wednesday night. On Friday I wore it to work to set it up and play with it. The screen cracked while in the Cingular leather case.
    What caused the screen to crack (while it was in it's case)?
    I admit that I have a hard time believing that an lcd screen with all the touch screen electronics and top coating inside such a tough plastic case can simply crack in half without anyone touching it. Even if the underlying glass had a crack in it (and it wasn't discovered (very hard to believe) then the top coating for the touch screen would act to doubly hold everything together. Plus all the screens must undergo various tests and inspection before even leaving the factory as a component.

I'd have to suspect that at minimum there was excess stress put on the screen even though it was inside a leather pouch. Besides, unless the pouch was hard sided (plastic or metal) then it only helps to protect the device but can't prevent excessive stress (like being in a back pocket that's being sat on).

Being in manufacturing, I would have to side with palm. I've seen some pretty ridiculous attempted returns and this is sounding like one of them.
    What I can't believe is the "out of warranty" claim. If there is no sign of abuse, drop etc., a 3 day old product better be exchangeable!
    I don't know about the crack, but I've turned on brand new devices and had the screen go bad in a day or two. So yes, crap can happen without doing anything to the device. This was never on a Treo I should say, but still.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Maybe your lcd had an invisible hairline crack that eventually grew in to a bigger crack. Maybe the screws where too tight or the device was not assembled properly.

Manufacturing defects are possible...
    I was just riding along, and....
    No clearer explaination from the thread starter.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
  13.    #13  
    I cant say there wasnt a crack there right off the bat. I certainly didnt see one. As far as the dropping it. I have never seen a pda crack from a drop myself and I certainly didnt drop this one! I need to take a pic today but there is no damage to indicate is has ever been dropped. Im not sure what happened but I just cant believe there is no coverage on a phone like this after just 2 or 3 days of usage.
    You can crack a screen by putting pressure on it torsionally, like when it's in a pocket and you sit down. In the end it is glass.

As for a screen dying due to electronics failure, that's a manufacturing defect without question.

A crack, though not impossible since nothing is impossible, is improbable without external forces acting on it. That's not to say some bozo looking at the device before selling it to you didn't do something to it.

Obviously, it's a tough position for the customer to be in since how can you prove you didn't do anything, but it's also a tough position for the manufacturer to be in since 99% of the time it's a situation of abuse. I think in your case, it's unfortunate that your going to fall on the wrong side of the line and it's unlikely you'll get them to fix it for free.

Perhaps they might be willing to meet you halfway. Something like asking them to sell you a refurb unit at cost (which might be less than a new screen) or something like that.
    Get yourself a RhinoSkin case. I have one for the 650 and have dropped it quite literally down a flight of stairs...the phone escaped damage.

The case is metal and VERY sturdy, with a clear window for the screen.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I just purchased a Treo 680 from a Cingular store and it was on Wednesday night. On Friday I wore it to work to set it up and play with it. The screen cracked while in the Cingular leather case. Cingular says this is an out of warranty fix and so it can only repaired at full cost which for them is over $200. Or I could go to Palm (whom I called and they charge $199). I have owned several PDAs (m100,m105,m125,T-E, T-E2,650) and I have never seen a screen crack like this and those were all dropped at some point in their usage. This seems like a production issue and there are several reports of it happening or other damage due to dropping the phone just once so please be careful or you will be stuck like me with a $300 paperweight because I cant bear to sink another $200 bucks into this phone just 3 days after I shelled out almost half a grand to buy it!!!
    Makes me wonder why Cingular doesnít offer at least a few days of full warranty support??
    Cingular offers a 30-day return policy.
    Linky. Explains a bit more about this particular situation.
    Tough call, really why should they responsible for it once it leaves the store?
    I htink we can agree it is not easy to break a screen. I have had them for 6-7 years and never done it.
    I have dropped it off my lap while sitting in my F-150 4X4 and had it land on asphalt and not broken.

I feel for ya man.
    I cant say there wasnt a crack there right off the bat. I certainly didnt see one. As far as the dropping it. I have never seen a pda crack from a drop myself and I certainly didnt drop this one! I need to take a pic today but there is no damage to indicate is has ever been dropped. Im not sure what happened but I just cant believe there is no coverage on a phone like this after just 2 or 3 days of usage.
    I've had a PDA's touch screen crack from being pushed on by a table edge while it was in my pocket. It wasn't a treo but an older linux based pda I had a few years ago. I was carrying it without a case in my pocket.

So, yes, it is possible for the screen to crack without them being dropped if there is enough force applied in the wrong place.
    If you purchased a TV and got it home. Then the TV gets a cracked screen. So should the place you got it from fix your TV for free or give you a new one? Is it there fault?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast