Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    One can only hope
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    One poster writes ...

"The tech support guy said the drain happens becasue applications do not shut down properly."

That's IT! Maybe the 680 secretly has Windows Mobile on it. I've not noticed it on mine, but ...

Patrick Horne
    Curiously, although it is alluded to that this technique comes from Palm, no link to the first-hand information is provided.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    "The tech support guy said the drain happens becasue applications do not shut down properly."
    Everyday this reason seems to make more and more sense to me.

I tried every single tip, trick, conditioning, charge cycling, charge method, re-calibration, reset type, and dance ritual to try improving the performance of my battery and still do not get good standby battery life.

I've narrowed down my experimentation to two standby states: minimum usage with phone radio on, and minimum usage with phone radio off. (minimum usage = lowest brightness, vibration off, alerts off, mute switch off, IR off, BT off, data off, time sync off, auto-off 15 sec, on-call dim 30 sec)

This is what I got (over 12 hour period):
    Minimum Usage w/Phone On
    1.67% per hour, which projects to 60 hours standby

Minimum Usage w/Phone Off
    0.96% per hour, which projects to 104 hours standby

I have no idea what happens to that 0.96%/hour misterious loss. I know that PDA alone does use power. But I've never seen a pda run out of battery in 4 days after being left off. My LifeDrive went from 100% to 99% in one week after being left off in the drawer.

I have not been using the camera and did reset my unit prior to measurement.

Random applications running in the background without intent would explain this drain.

I hope the "fix" shows up soon.
    Last edited by jfme; 01/18/2007 at 06:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    You're welcome

I guess I posted kinda in the wrong place, so here's my post again :

Quote Originally Posted by MarieC View Post
    Information found on PalmAttitude.org :

Palm has quietly released a patch that addresses an issue about the camera draining the Treo's battery, even when it's in standby mode.

The patch is available on the european Palm Knowledge Base (solution number : 10946).
    I've installed it a few minutes ago... let's see if this works !
    PalmAttitude.org
    your n1 french-speaking Palm resource on the web !
    Installed. Fingers crossed.
    where is ti?? All i see is the Knowledge library!??!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    Installed. Fingers crossed.
    We'll see what happens.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    where is ti?? All i see is the Knowledge library!??!?!
    Down below enter solution id 10946 and hit continue
    It seems to say you have to do it over whenever you do a hard reset. Can that be so?

"Yes, the Treo 680 Camera Update will need to be reinstalled if you have to perform a hard reset. Follow the instructions above to install the update on your smartphone. "
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    It seems to say you have to do it over whenever you do a hard reset. Can that be so?

"Yes, the Treo 680 Camera Update will need to be reinstalled if you have to perform a hard reset. Follow the instructions above to install the update on your smartphone. "
    well it is software..seems it is not being put in the ROM.
    I expect eventually there will be a ROM update, and this patch will be part of it.
    I missed this thread. I'll have to install this tonight. hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    I expect eventually there will be a ROM update, and this patch will be part of it.
    Well meanwhile I put it on my SD card so that if I hard reset and it appears to revert back to 3.0, I suppose I can reinstall on the fly.
    so, are they saying the battery issue are caused by the camera? even if you dont use the camera?

btw, should the patch be re-installed after a hard reset if you sync back to your profile?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis

Well meanwhile I put it on my SD card so that if I hard reset and it appears to revert back to 3.0, I suppose I can reinstall on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe

...btw, should the patch be re-installed after a hard reset if you sync back to your profile?
    Good question... so to check it out I took one for the team:

1. I installed the battery related camera update.
    2. I verified in the native launcher info that CameraLib-caml was now ver 3.1
    3. Just in case, I used Syncall v.1.4.1 to set all the changed bits on each file to ensure a full backup on the next hotsync.
    4. I did a hotsync.
    5. I did a factory reset.
    6. I did a hotsync restore.
    7. I checked CameraLib-caml and found that it was in fact restored to v. 3.1.

I'm not sure if it will work without setting the changed bit before the last hotsync... but the way I did it, it does get restored to v.3.1, the updated version.
    So my question is this; if you've never used the camera, does it help battery life?

The camera isn't the only problem!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast