Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    It doesn't seem to have changed my particular pattern of battery usage. After patching, I let the 680 charge on AC only (no cradle) overnight. It nicely reported 100% upon disconnecting it from power at 8:00am. As I post this note now, at 11:00am, my battery level is reported at 60%.
    20% drain per hour - that is really bad. Have you been using the phone over this time? Can you clarify - did it report 100% after disconnecting, or was it that you disconnected it when it reported 100%? Reason I ask is that I think it normally drops to 99% as soon as you disconnect (because it is no longer at 100%). Is it possible that much of the drop occurred within a minute of unplugging?
    Quote Originally Posted by aretiss View Post
    slim high-capacity battery for treo 680 by seidio: finally available
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=630
    Wow. A whole 7-8% increase in capacity over the standard 680 battery.

At 680 burn rates, that's like what - an extra whole HOUR per day?

I think I'll pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Nobody is every going to get 6-7% per day with Chatter. That would be a reasonable hourly rate, it seems to me, if you're using Chatter for push email. That's 15 hours, and I think most Chatter users get that. Unless you're not using it for IMAP push.
    To be honest, right now it's looking like it's Verichat to blame. I quit Chatter and Versamail but stayed connected to GPRS.. Left phone alone for 30m. Battery Graph line is flat.. Not the constant drop. So I launched Verichat, left it alone for 30m again.. Back to a drain. Exited Verichat, launched Chatter, and it looks to be flat again.

I'm going to repeat this, but right now it's looking like Verichat (2.89, online data mode) is what's sucking the life out of my 680. Same version I ran on the 650 didn't do this. Maybe I'll ask for them to fix it.. Ha ha ha... *cries*

EDIT: Nope, it seems to be Verichat OR Chatter cause it. If either is running, it the same rate as if both are running, which is 6-7% an hour.. Which is interesting.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 01/19/2007 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Wow. A whole 7-8% increase in capacity over the standard 680 battery.

At 680 burn rates, that's like what - an extra whole HOUR per day?

I think I'll pass.
    Well... they could say 8-9% since 1300/1200 = 1.083, so at least they are being conservative. I'll be interested to see what improvement people actually see.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    To be honest, right now it's looking like it's Verichat to blame. I quit Chatter and Versamail but stayed connected to GPRS.. Left phone alone for 30m. Battery Graph line is flat.. Not the constant drop. So I launched Verichat, left it alone for 30m again.. Back to a drain. Exited Verichat, launched Chatter, and it looks to be flat again.

I'm going to repeat this, but right now it's looking like Verichat (2.89, online data mode) is what's sucking the life out of my 680. Same version I ran on the 650 didn't do this. Maybe I'll ask for them to fix it.. Ha ha ha... *cries*

EDIT: Nope, it seems to be Verichat OR Chatter cause it. If either is running, it the same rate as if both are running, which is 6-7% an hour.. Which is interesting.
    Glad I waited for your edit. I was going to mention that I see that drain myself and I use Causerie and do not usually run it in the background. Of course, I run Chatter in push mode during the week also. I'd probably get better battery time if I didn't run Chatter or 4cast... but that wouldn't be much fun.
    A whole hour is important to me. Since we're dealing wth about 15-16 hours a day (or at least I am with Chatter going full blast--and Chatter's the biggest reason I have a Treo), 16-17 hours a day would get me through the day exactly. I'm going to get two--one for the machine, and one for the spare that sticks in the pocket of my Nutshell holder. I guess my expectations weren't that high--but they're realistic!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Glad I waited for your edit. I was going to mention that I see that drain myself and I use Causerie and do not usually run it in the background. Of course, I run Chatter in push mode during the week also. I'd probably get better battery time if I didn't run Chatter or 4cast... but that wouldn't be much fun.
    Well, it looks like to get rid of the drain, one would have to QUIT Chatter and Verichat. I'm not sure it just being offline stops it. I'm going to check that tomorrow to see.

If I'm wrong above, one could maybe run Chatter in non-push, but that'd get very annoying with it connecting every N minutes. And Verichat doesn't work right in SMS mode last I tried it (Incoming SMS show up as a text message).
  8. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    After installing patch, no impact

After charging overnite to 100%, unplug from the main still gives the mandatory immediate drop to 96%. Now after 10hrs it is at 63% with one alarm activation, total 5mins calls, 1SMS. I think before the patch the battery performance was better, as I am taking into consideration that today is a Saturday (not an office day) with much less calls made.

I dont use BT, Email, Camera; only luxury is the phone & updating time/date via network. Background applications are hacks : Teal Master, SnapCalc, Phone Technician, Butler, KeyCap, FieldPlus, Treohour, Crashpro, 123-Launch.

So what's up?
    Last edited by tck; 01/20/2007 at 03:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    After charging overnite to 100%, unplug from the main still gives the mandatory immediate drop to 96 ...
    That's interesting because in about a month of use, I never had the "mandatory immediate drop" until today (to 95). I was really shocked. Every other time when it hit 100%, it dropped down to 99, but stayed there (especially after the patch...I think...) then suddenly this morning it plummeted to 95. But I plugged it back in (reset it as well) and watched it climb back up to 97, 98, 99, 100, and when I pulled it off the second time, it was 100. Let's face it, the battery circuit is erratic and unreliable, apparently both to the user and to the charging circuit also. It's impossible to be sure when it is really charged or when the circuit is giving a false indication of battery state. See elsewhere my post about a 30% + sudden jump.
    The drop is because the charger isn't topping off the battery, simple as that. I have a thread on this here.
    You may be right but it's not all that credible to believe that in all this time, only once--this morning--did I just happen to interrupt the cycle so that it was showing 100% but was really at 95%. It's possible, but think of the odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    You may be right but it's not all that credible to believe that in all this time, only once--this morning--did I just happen to interrupt the cycle so that it was showing 100% but was really at 95%. It's possible, but think of the odds.
    Well, yes and no. What are the odds that you buy a phone and you have to return it 3 times for new ones because of defects. Has never happened to me or probably to you, but you'll find posts like that here. The thing is, odds are very low for you personally, but over all the experiences of all the people on these boards, low probability events show up.

For me, I've also had the immediate battery drop happen only once in the 6 weeks I've had the 680 -- last week, a scant few days before I installed the battery update.
    BTW, updates.. Edited to match graph below..

0. Charging overnight (no Verichat or Chatter running)
    1. Off charger
    2. 11-12, no chatter or verichat. 89-88 1% drop
    3. 12-1, chatter in offline mode (10m mail check), no verichat. 88-85% 3% drop
    4. 1-2, chatter in offline mode (NO checks during period), no verichat. 85-84, 1% drop
    5. 2:15-3:15, chatter in online mode, no verichat. 84-81%, 3% drop.

I'm going to test Verichat-only, and Verichat+Chatter online again tommorrow.

So I correct myself; if Chatter is "running" but offline and not checking mail, it uses no more battery that if it's not running at all. So offline with periodic checking would save some battery. I'm going to see how much full online mode costs (sans Verichat running) to compare, just takes an hour to do and all.

Note the Battery Graph image below. During the period with Chatter offline with no checks, the "on-off" part of BGs shows the Treo being turned on constantly but uses little juice.. I guess it comes out of REM sleep, has nothing to do, goes back, verses comes out of REM, does some work, then goes back.

http://unlimitedphoto.com/~wally/stuff/BatteryTest.jpg
    Last edited by khaytsus; 01/20/2007 at 05:41 PM.
    I'm getting just under 1% drain per hour with Chatter and 4Cast turned off.

Interesting observation about the on/off characteristics with Chatter in polled mode. I would have thought it should stay asleep until the polling time occurs.

I'll see if my battery drain stays low when going back to a 1 hour polling period and keeping 4cast off.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Edited post to add Battery Graph image and more data..
    I'm getting a new phone delivered in a few days. Is there a way for me to tell if the camera patch is already installed? .. like a version number?
  17. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backspaces View Post
    I'm getting a new phone delivered in a few days. Is there a way for me to tell if the camera patch is already installed? .. like a version number?
    Did you read about the camera patch from Palm's site? Then you will be able to find the revision.
    Bingo! CameraLib-camL version v.3.1 is what I need, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by backspaces View Post
    Bingo! CameraLib-camL version v.3.1 is what I need, thanks.
    Please report back your findings, good or bad.
    I don't think Chatter uses any power if it is doing nothing and is not in push mode. Perhaps logging was left on by mistake.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast