Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Hi.

When I listen to live internet radio using Pocket Tunes 4.0 with my Treo 700p plugged in to the power supply, the phone gets pretty hot.

Is this normal?
    So does mine, even while just talking on the phone for any length of time.
    At one point it got so hot the screen shut off, but at that time it was also under my coat.

That is the reason I have to find a better case, the rubberized ones stretch if you have to take it off while the phone is hot.
    Yeah, mine gets warmer than my 650 did, but I haven't gotten it hot yet.

Have you guys had the red charging light blink when the phone is hot? I'm assuming that's normal since the battery is hot, but who knows...
    The good news is your phone is not "broken" (or at least not any more than the rest of ours) :-)

I think if you do a search you'll find this has been discussed before.
    It can get so hot, that the display will blank out. Some said you can turn up the backlight to get it to go back on, but if it's shutting off to reduce head, I'd rather give the phone a break and remove rather than adding another contributor to the heat buildup.

Palm probably calls this a "feature" (and I'd have to say that I agree with this feature), even if it makes the device less usable.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Ok good to know that Treo has yet another use - a portable heater!
    LOL - Welcome to the club!
    Wow - a new use for the Treo - handwarmer. (Treo 680 is likely 1/3rd weaker with the heat).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    i noticed that when i have my treo in my pocket and I get a text message, i am prompted to enter my passcode to proceed which is normal... however if it stays in my pocket and i forget to check the message the screen will stay on and get warm... Also, whenever i get stuck in a no signal area or roaming it seems to get warm too.. sometimes it gets so hot the screen stays off completely and I have to wait a few or pull the battery out for a second for it to reboot..
    palm's phones are crap & most of us have been hoodwinked into thinking otherwise. mine does this when I am not even talking on it. it will be real hot & the screen goes black. this is not the same as dimming while talking on it. it goes to almost pure black. adjusting the brightness does not work. I just have to wait until it snaps out of it...
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/15/cel...ml?eref=rss_us

Could be worse: "Fire official: Man's cell phone apparently sets him ablaze"

lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    palm's phones are crap & most of us have been hoodwinked into thinking otherwise. ...
    Kind of reminds me of the old Radio Shack products. They only carried a 90 day warranty since they were such crap. I really would like to see increased ruggedization in these, as well as a more open bug reporting procedure. Can't wait until the day people start haccking mobile-linux so that we can start working around these bugs on our own!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Kind of reminds me of the old Radio Shack products. They only carried a 90 day warranty since they were such crap. I really would like to see increased ruggedization in these, as well as a more open bug reporting procedure. Can't wait until the day people start haccking mobile-linux so that we can start working around these bugs on our own!

Ahh, good ol' Tandy.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    palm's phones are crap & most of us have been hoodwinked into thinking otherwise. mine does this when I am not even talking on it. it will be real hot & the screen goes black. this is not the same as dimming while talking on it. it goes to almost pure black. adjusting the brightness does not work. I just have to wait until it snaps out of it...

Hey Treoneo!

I have never had a Palm PDA do this to me in 10 years and if it was . . . . it would be back at the Sprint store in about 30 seconds. I assume yours is out of warranty?

Cheers, Perry.