http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/01/treo_680_batter.html

/ancker
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    Anyone tried this yet?
    I plan on it after work.

/ancker
    Yes, but it didn't help my Phone.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Isn't it the exact same that's described here in a few threads? I'm not sure what removing the SIM has to do with anything, but other than that, it's just an In-Cradle Reset.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Anyone tried this yet?
    I plan on it after work.

/ancker

I found interesting that in the comment area, somebody says his Treo 750 gets similar battery performance than his Treo 650 with extended battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    Yes, but it didn't help my Phone.
    That's what I'd be afraid of. I did all of this but didn't remove the SIM card.
    My battery life was better for a little while but within 2-3 weeks and sometimes less, the same drain would occur. Okay, I can at least try this with also doing the SIM card removal, but if I still have to repeat the procedure, it gets cumbersome. Plus, no rhyme or reason on what day the nosedive may occur, so I could be out and find my phone at 10%. Not too useful. A battery that ends up at 10% when I haven't even made any calls or used data is not normal. Having to do all these tricks isn't right either. I don't expect the same amount of battery life as the 650, but there is no way I am getting one third the amount either! That said-battery life is my only gripe. I hope this gets resolved-I want to really use my 680. I like the device otherwise! But in the meantime I am back to my 650.
    I've done this "conditioning" twice. This morning, at 6:30, it read 100% when I took it off the charger. It dropped to 95% within 30 seconds. It's been a really quiet day so, maybe seven VERY short phone calls and a few edits to Handy Shopper and that's it...it's at 81% now. Should I consider this a good result?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I was surprised by the SIM card step, which isn't part of the reset that many have posted here.

I'm wondering if Palm knows something we don't.

I plan on trying this tonight. I'll post results tomorrow.

/ancker
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I've tried everything - and had some success but and last week my battery was barely lasting 12 hours (not heavy either) use.

On Sunday I pulled the battery overnight and charged it outside the phone and 36 hours later with bt on for 24 hours of this I'm at 59% - plenty of calls and emails and texts as well plus updating appointments and contacts. I've turned the radio off for 12 hours overnight yesterday. I haven't used the camera at all.

There is no consistency at all with this bloody phone.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I said I'd provide an update:

Did the "fix" last night, let the battery charge, without SIM for 7 hours...
    replaced the SIM, reinserted the battery at 0700, it is now 2314 and I have 59% battery.

This is on par with the best I've seen with my 680, but certainly well below what I'd claim stellar.

Again, I'm not expecting a full 12.5 days of "phone on, GPRS on."
    I'm hoping for a good 4 days with the phone on and chattermail IDLE IMAP.

Let's hope there is an update in the works like rumored on a few forums.

/ancker
    I said I'd provide an update:

Did the "fix" last night, let the battery charge, without SIM for 7 hours...
    replaced the SIM, reinserted the battery at 0700, it is now 2314 and I have 59% battery.

This is on par with the best I've seen with my 680, but certainly well below what I'd claim stellar.

Again, I'm not expecting a full 12.5 days of "phone on, GPRS on."
    I'm hoping for a good 4 days with the phone on and chattermail IDLE IMAP.

Let's hope there is an update in the works like rumored on a few forums.

/ancker
    I never got anywhere near that with my 650 with an extended battery, so I doubt you'll ever attain that with the 680. Maybe I was using my 650 more than you intend to use the 680 but still... a full day might be more like it (20 hours and 25-30% left).
    tried night before last...well the phone only got a trickle charge since then for 5 mins while hotsyncing last night..so it seems it has gone ~ 32 hrs from 100% after the fix to now... 41% give or take the trickle charge for 5 minswow..and i did have pTunes playing on loudspeaker for at least 30-45 mins and via headphones the same time! Now to hope it doesn't revert like most ppl's own seems to......
    The procedure on Treonauts is a battery recalibration routine. It does not do anything to increase battery life itself. This only affects the appearance of battery warnings and of the battery meter color.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PFman View Post
    I've tried everything - and had some success but and last week my battery was barely lasting 12 hours (not heavy either) use.

On Sunday I pulled the battery overnight and charged it outside the phone and 36 hours later with bt on for 24 hours of this I'm at 59% - plenty of calls and emails and texts as well plus updating appointments and contacts. I've turned the radio off for 12 hours overnight yesterday. I haven't used the camera at all.

There is no consistency at all with this bloody phone.

84 hours sinvce I took it off the charger and I am now at 1%. This the best use I have had so far and I have used the phone for around 100 minutes of calls, had BT on and connected for a further 15 hours whilst driving, added diary entries, added expenses checked spreadsheets etc, texted around 50 messsages (in and out), checked my emails about 3 times each day (around 10 times overall) - and left the gprs connected each time - I turned the phone off for Mon, Tues and weds evenings & overnight (no signal in the house so no point), beam off all the time and brightness set at 20% screen off at 30 seconds.

On sunday this battery was down to 12% in less than a day...... usage pattern virtually identical
    I have now tried this "fix" twice. I charged it overnight with the SIM out. Phone with no calls made or received is down to 96.82% in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Beam Receive is off, Bluetooth is off, Network is connected and e-mail is checked every 15 minutes.

I am beginning to believe there are 2 problems. I think _some_ phones are lemons (some sort of hardware issue) and many are not calibrated properly. If PFman can get 84 hours of usage out a Treo 680 battery WITH USAGE, then something is wrong with THIS 680 phone.

James
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Wow, getting 84 hours is about ideal. I have almost identical usage as him.

Maybe the fix coming down the pipes will get me to that.

As of right now, the battery issue is the ONLY issue I have with this phone.
    It's only reset on me twice since Nov when I bought it. (And those were within the first week while I was goofing with app compatibility)

/ancker
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    just after my last post it hit 0% and turned off within 5 minutes - when I first got the phone it would run for hours at 0%.

trouble is I can't rely on it - I'm betting tomorrow the battery life will be sh*t again. I've got 2 batteries and both have been good then bad then good again....

The battery life isn't a big issue for me as I have 2 batteries, a cradle at work and a cradle at home plus a car charger - I would normally have charged the phone at home overnight, in the car, at work, in the car and then back on the cradle.

I got a 2gb sd card for mp3's but because of the battery life I've never used it for music as I'm worried the battery will die and I need the phone for work..

Does the auto turnoff happen because the battery gauge says so or because the battery is giving less power?
    My friend who has a 680 did the battery fix and so far he says his battery life has improved by almost %60

Al
    today I reached about40 hrs..but at 15% no low warning but it reset twice while I was trying to use eReader..not sure if it was a safety mechanism due to the battery level or what...but the battery was still at about 12% 3 hrs later (~ 43 hrs) then i swapped it for the spare as I was heading home on public transport...