Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First of all, this is NOT going to be a "My 680 sucks I'm returning it and Palm is evil post". I simply have noticed a new behavior that started yesterday and while it doesn't seem to affect anything, I'm curious if anyone has an explanation.

For the past month, the LED only comes on briefly when the cell radio is turning on or when it's charging.

Starting yesterday, the green LED comes on for about 2-3 seconds every time I power it on or off. For instance, it's off while using the for phone in either phone or PDA mode, but when I press the red button to turn it off, the green LED comes on for a couple seconds then goes back off. When I turn the 680 back on, it comes back on - again, just for a few seconds.

I'm positive it never did this until yesterday. Strange.
    What software are you running? Do you have Chatter?
  3.    #3  
    No Chatter. I did install one new program yesterday now that I think about it. I'll disable it or uninstall it and see if that changes things.
  4.    #4  
    Well, at least it's consistent. Basically what's happening is that I'm getting the green LED whenever the Treo is "working" but the screen isn't on.

So, for a couple seconds after I turn on the screen, it lights up as it shuts down programs or whatever it does.

I figured this out by listening to some podcasts on the way to work. P'Tunes runs with the screen off, but the green LED stays on.

I actually PREFER this setup, because it lets me know if my Treo is doing something in the background. Maybe it will even give me some clues to the battery wackiness. I went about 1/2 of the weekend with only about a 1% drop per hour. One night was even less than that. Now this morning I dropped 20% in 2 hours. Go figure.
    Mine does this too, but not all the time. I thought it was related to the Battery.prc file from another thread, are you using that?

If not, interesting.... My 680 started doing this again today, but I have been using Battery.prc grabbing some measurements. HOWEVER I've since warm restarted and moved it to the SD card, and it was still doing it until I soft reset again. Very odd.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I bet you both have battery, butler and TCPMP installed? I had exactly the same problem. There is a setting in TCPMP that says "blink led when turned off" and by turning this off them problem went away. As I recall though, I had to remove battery and butler and then turn feature off in TCPMP, and then reset and finally restore butler to make it work right. I left battery off since it was not clear what it was doing. It was driving me crazy.

greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I bet you both have battery, butler and TCPMP installed? I had exactly the same problem. There is a setting in TCPMP that says "blink led when turned off" and by turning this off them problem went away. As I recall though, I had to remove battery and butler and then turn feature off in TCPMP, and then reset and finally restore butler to make it work right. I left battery off since it was not clear what it was doing. It was driving me crazy.

greg
    erm.. TCPMP doesn't do anything unless it's running.. It's not a background application.

I'm pretty sure it's just the Battery.prc (not Battery Graph) doing this, assuming the OP was running that. Each time I run it, that happens.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I realize that... just passing on what made mine act up and what fixed it. I am purely speculating, but while TCPMP does not work in the background, it may "mess up" the non standard behavior of the 680 LED? As best I can recall (been a couple weeks) removing it made the problem go away. YMMV.

greg
    I had this LED on thing happen too - right after installing Battery.prc...seemed to use up the battery a lot faster too, LED turning on went away after I uninstalled Battery.prc
  10.    #10  
    Yeah - I installed the battery.prc, so that's a likely culprit after hearing your experiences. Thing is, I kind of like it!

I will uninstall it just to confirm it's the source. Haven't noticed a change in the wacky battery drain because of it, though. It's as inconsistent as ever

Thanks for the info!
    I had this problem crop up this mornig and thought it was battery.prc so i uninstalled it. It didnt go away so i performed a reset while it was in the cradle and now its gone.
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
    Uninstalling and soft resetting, oddly, did not stop the led behavior. I had to soft reset twice. I mentioned that in post #5.
    This all describes 'unwanted' side-effects from installing an application causing this.

How about a real application actually making that LED USEFUL again ? Is this already in the works ? Maybe already released ?
    As for now it shows blinking red when out of coverage, steady green when connected to charger but full battery and steady red when charging.
    What about an indication when cell phone is connected (blinking green) so we do not have to turn on the device just to see it is still allright.
    And an Alert notification (alternating blinking red / green ? Whatever ...)

As far as I understood this behavior was available on earlier models, I also understood the LED API has been changed by Palm in its infinite wisdom (yeah, sure ...), has nobody reverse engineered this yet ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    start battery.prc
    select Menu / Sleep mode
    uncheck "Turn on orange LED in REM sleep"

careful, after a reset this box is checked again. So if you dont need battery.prc delete it after unchecking.
    Thankyouverymuch. Installing as we speak
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  16.    #16  
    Fixed it! Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hasloewer View Post
    start battery.prc
    select Menu / Sleep mode
    uncheck "Turn on orange LED in REM sleep"

careful, after a reset this box is checked again. So if you dont need battery.prc delete it after unchecking.
    Does anyone else have crashes out of battery.prc? Every so often when I go back to ZLauncher, it resets. Never does it with anything else.

Interesting, however.. Is this Orange LED in REM sleep default? I'm not sure I've seen it turn orange! I've seen it green for a few seconds.

So maybe that's why the battery life stinks on mine.. Never does REM. I should experiment.. Disable background apps and see if it goes orange on me.

While I listen to Fables of the Reconstruction.
    I do not seem to get the LED to work, however, when having removed it, it seems it wakes up my device every minute or so.
    I will install again, see what I need to disable and then delete again (BTW use the trick with setting Recyclable bit using FileZ, then soft reset and vamoosh !)
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    <sigh>
    Had to revert to hard reset and fallback to previous backupset (THANK YOU Resco !).
    Additional restore of PIMS from latest backupset and we are back in business.

This battery.prc seems to be a nasty thing
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Interesting, however.. Is this Orange LED in REM sleep default? I'm not sure I've seen it turn orange! I've seen it green for a few seconds.
    battery.prc was build for older treos, which had the ability to flash orange. On the 680 the LED flashes green...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast