1.    #1  
    I review legal documents around 10megabytes each. When out of range of my home, it would be nice to use my Treo 650 with the June Fabrics software as a data modem on my Verizon plan to download documents to my laptop.

While I know the speed might vary by signal strength, I am just try to get a roughd idea is this might be a reasonable solution in a pinch. This would be about as long as 200 page pdf file. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes?

Any other thoughts you have about this process also welcome such as timing out problems etc.

Thank you in advance.

Question: Any idea roughly how long it would take to down load a 10megabyte file with a Treo 650 and June Fabric software via Verizion?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Generally speaking, you only can get slow internet download on the 650.

I'm on Cingular EDGE which they claim 115kbps, but the real speed I can get is only 40 kbps max. Verizon, on the other hand, claims data services at speeds of 60-80 kbps based on 1XRTT (non Ev-DO), therefore, it might take you more than 30 min. to download a 10Mb.
    Treo Maniac?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    I'm on Cingular EDGE which they claim 115kbps, but the real speed I can get is only 40 kbps max.
    Those are GPRS speeds not EDGE. I constantly get 90-200kbps with an average of 125kbps. 1xRTT has a limited peak data rate to 144 kbit/s, but real world you will see 50-60kbps.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Yes, it should be consider as GPRS speed only. However, I'm in GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA coverage, where I can get 900 kbps download in the same location and same SIM card but different device (Aircard 875 and Laptop.) I really don't understand why the speed on treo 650/Blazer turns out that darn bad.

BTW, I use the website mentioned here to test the speed. How 'bout you?
    Treo Maniac?
    I didnt know the 650 can be used as a modem. I searched the threads and found nothing but this one. Anyone know where I can find info or a hack for using a 650 as a modem? I know someone who is buying a 650 but he needs it for DUN.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    You don't need to hack 650 to make DUN. Just buy a software called USB modem and you can DUN with your own usb hotsync cable instead of buying Bluetooth adapter for your PC (because DUN on Treo 650 is bluetooth DUN)
    Treo Maniac?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    Yes, it should be consider as GPRS speed only. However, I'm in GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA coverage, where I can get 900 kbps download in the same location and same SIM card but different device (Aircard 875 and Laptop.) I really don't understand why the speed on treo 650/Blazer turns out that darn bad.
    The Treo 650 is GPRS/EDGE only (no HSDPA). The maximum theoretical rate is something like 200kbps but in the real world seems to max out at around 130.

The 900kbps you're seeing is with a device that supports HSDPA.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71