Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about how long my new Treo 680 will last.

I've had 2 other PDA before 1) Psion - I loved its keyboard, but the screen finally crapped on me a little over a year (just after the warranty expired). 2) Handspring - visor, used it moderately over the first year and hardly at all for the next 3 years. Took it out of the drawers and started to use it for a month and the touch screen refused to work.

I have never abused these PDAs but they sure did not last long....
    my conclusion is that the screen is probably the most fragile component. And even if there has been no physical abuse...somehow something will SNAFU.

How long have you had your PDAs - what's the longest longest PDAs you've had or heard someone have?
    I've had my 650 for a little over two years (Boxwave screen protector and skin protecting it). It doesn't have a single scratch, it's stable and perfect inside and out...but, I baby my toys

I've had my 680 for a month (Boxwave screen protector and Palm Flexi skin). So far so good...
    Yeah, I'm pretty careful with my 650, never dropped it or banged it on anything, always kept a screen saver on the display, and for half of its life it lived in an Innopocket AL case. After that, I switched to a silicone skin+horizontal holster.

Nary a scratch or bang on it. Only wear and tear was a little nick on the bottom of the 5-way controller from something, and the middle button of the 5-way was getting a little dull looking.

I personally have always treated my phones pretty decent, and my PDAs very carefully. PDAs have big screens and are out and used a lot. Currently my 680 has some modified 650 eGrips on it to help me keep a solid grip on it. Not ideal, but not as bad as I thought they'd be. Not sure how long they'll last, as the corners already feel a little wiggly to me and it's been less than a week. I'm waiting for an appropriate skin to come out for it, right now the only ones I can find cover up buttons.
    I've had my unlocked treo 650 for about 3 years. Had a screen protector since day 1 (Box-Wave, always make awesome screen protectors). Never kept it in a case and it fell 1 time. Never ever got a single scratch on it, and mind you, I never carried it like a baby, and always kept it in my pocket. I have a history of taking good care of my electronics anyway, so I never allow any scratches to happen to my stuff. I hate the silicone/skin protectors because dust/grains of little crap gets caught between it and the phone, thus scrapping at the phone while in your pocket. I had a skin protector on my ipod, and if my ipod gets scratched (I mean, it has to be the ultimate test, it's surface is prone to scratches at any moment), that means my phone had a chance at the same. Of course, my iPod got scratched even though I bought an expensive skin protector, so I gave up on those (only my screen was scratch-less, even though it was not protected). I've had my Treo 680 for about 3 days now and I am gonna give it the same treatment as my treo 650, so I am guessing it will last me a long time.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty careful with my 650, never dropped it or banged it on anything, always kept a screen saver on the display, and for half of its life it lived in an Innopocket AL case. After that, I switched to a silicone skin+horizontal holster.

Nary a scratch or bang on it. Only wear and tear was a little nick on the bottom of the 5-way controller from something, and the middle button of the 5-way was getting a little dull looking.

I personally have always treated my phones pretty decent, and my PDAs very carefully. PDAs have big screens and are out and used a lot. Currently my 680 has some modified 650 eGrips on it to help me keep a solid grip on it. Not ideal, but not as bad as I thought they'd be. Not sure how long they'll last, as the corners already feel a little wiggly to me and it's been less than a week. I'm waiting for an appropriate skin to come out for it, right now the only ones I can find cover up buttons.
    khaytsus, I suggest you try the ShieldZone (www.shieldzone.com) skin. A little pricey to have it installed, but I went to a local mall with a "ShieldZone" booth and had it installed for $30 (normally $40, but they gave me a deal). My 680 is now almost entirely encased in the same material that covers my screen, allowing total access to ALL keys yet providing a significant degree of protection without compromising the size or usability. I've had mine on over a month now and have noticed no slippage, curling up, etc. You can save a few $$$ if you order the kit from their web site and install yourself, but I preferred to have THEM install it because: 1) They had all the right tools, solutions, etc. and I could grab some lunch/dinner while they installed it while I waited, and 2) Lifetime warranty --- if it comes off or peels up, they will replace it!
    I'm not quite sure I understand.. Their website just keeps referring to screen protectors.

So the entire Treo is covered in a screen-protector looking type plastic? Is it grippy? I assume you have full acces to all ports, etc.. Is it so thick that using the stylus sensitivity is reduced?
    Quote Originally Posted by adambike View Post
    I'm thinking about how long my new Treo 680 will last.

I've had 2 other PDA before 1) Psion - I loved its keyboard, but the screen finally crapped on me a little over a year (just after the warranty expired). 2) Handspring - visor, used it moderately over the first year and hardly at all for the next 3 years. Took it out of the drawers and started to use it for a month and the touch screen refused to work.

I have never abused these PDAs but they sure did not last long....
    my conclusion is that the screen is probably the most fragile component. And even if there has been no physical abuse...somehow something will SNAFU.

How long have you had your PDAs - what's the longest longest PDAs you've had or heard someone have?
    I had my treo 650 just shy of two years when I dropped something heavy and sharp on the screen and cracked it. Even with a screen protector, I don't think anything would have survived that. Since I wanted to upgrade to the 680 and my contract was up, I wasn't devastated. The best thing is that the TREO still works with the 5 way navigatior and the keyboard, despite this extreme insult to its physical integrity. Its just now the touchscreen doesn't work. (Just like a Q!). It made me realize that I really want to stay with a device with a touchscreen. I still use my 650 as an IPod until SAG gets made compatable with te 680.

In two years, I did anything but baby my 650. It had plenty of scratches and plenty of drops. Probably over 100 drops. No functional problems. I did have a Seido clip, which did a somewhat acceptable job of protecting it. (Do get a "face in" clip). The 680 appears to be built to the same standards of the 650. I have to say the lack of an antenna will probably keep it from catching on things and getting flung out of a clip. (Now I use a Palm leather holster, not perfect, but the Seido 650 clip didn't fit well enough)
    I'm not quite sure I understand.. Their website just keeps referring to screen protectors.

So the entire Treo is covered in a screen-protector looking type plastic? Is it grippy? I assume you have full acces to all ports, etc.. Is it so thick that using the stylus sensitivity is reduced?
    The thickness is the same as any standard screen protector, all ports are accessible, all buttons are accessible. Try this link: http://www.shieldzone.com/item_descr...MTREO680F.html

It is nice and grippy, but not overly grippy!
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    The thickness is the same as any standard screen protector, all ports are accessible, all buttons are accessible. Try this link: http://www.shieldzone.com/item_descr...MTREO680F.html

It is nice and grippy, but not overly grippy!
    This is the same thing but way less money:
    http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...0-Total/Detail

Egrips makes a 680 model. I've had mine on since the 1st of this month and they are still going strong.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    I had a palm professional in 1996. Sold it on ebay around 2002. It was fine. I dropped three kyocera 6035 smartphones in the pool. One of them worked after cleaning and drying. The other two did not. I subsequently bought three extras to be used in case I dropped my phone in the pool again. Slow learner, I guess. When I moved on from the Kyocera, I sold the spare 6035 units on ebay for a profit! That was a very good unit.

I had a samsung I500 for almost two years. Nice phone. Sold it to a guy at MIT. No problems with it.

I had a treo 650 for nearly two years. Never dropped it. Used a screen protector. Never had any problem with it. The 650 is stout unit. I still like it.

I have an unlocked 680 now. I am getting used to it. I think I like it. The radio is faster than the 650. The 680 has enough memory for now. The call clarity and calling performance is even better than the 650 which was not bad.

I will let you know in two years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    Egrips makes a 680 model. I've had mine on since the 1st of this month and they are still going strong.
    A company called Griips sells the same material as egrips for much less money. While they don't have diecuts for specific applications, you can get a 4"x6" sheet for something like $8 delivered. That's enough for about three different phones. Plus you get to decide exactly where and how much to use.

I bought one sheet and it was enough for my blackberry, my friends treo and all my remote controls. www.griips.com is the site.. send an email - Adam should be able to help you.
    I'm anal & I hate crappy DIY jobs. I would rather pay all the money in the world to have something functional and have it look good.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic