Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    This post contains the details relating to my previous post (one before this) summarising my recent expt.
    CHONOLOGICAL ACCOUNT OF MY ‘EXPT’
    Day1
    Charged to 100% and immediately removed from charger.
    11:30 – expt begins (battery at 100%)
    Settings: (ON: phone; OFF: BT, IR, timesync)
    Received 2 calls: 1 unanswered, 1 duration of <2 minutes.
    I started with IR off from 11:30 - 13:30, to make sure that my 680 was achieving its usual good performance of less than 0.5% battery drain per hour. It was.
    13:30 (battery at 99%)
    Change settings: (ON: phone, IR; OFF: BT, timesync)
    1 SMS received, check battery level 7 times. No other activity.

Day 2
    8:30 (battery at 95%. Drain rate 0.23% per hour.)
    Change settings: (ON: phone, IR, BT, timesync; OFF: nothing)
    10:00 (battery at 92%)
    11:00 (battery at 90%. Drain rate 2% per hour)
    Change settings: (ON: phone, IR, BT; OFF: timesync)
    15:30 (battery at 83%. Drain rate ~1.5% per hour)
    Change settings: (ON: phone, IR; OFF: BT, timesync)
    17:15 (battery at 82%. Drain rate ~0.5% per hour)
    17:30 – received a call, spoke for approximately 8 minutes (battery at 79%)
    18:15 (battery at 78%)
    21:20 (battery at 77%. Drain rate ~0.5% per hour)
    Change settings: (ON: phone; OFF: IR, BT, timesync)

Day 3
    0:20 (battery at 76%. Drain rate ~0.3% per hour)
    7:00 (battery at 73%. Drain rate ~0.4% per hour)
    Change settings: (ON: phone, BT; OFF: IR, timesync).
    8:02 (battery at 71%. Drain rate ~2% per hour)
    8:05 Used CAMERA to take 1 photo, then quit camera application. (battery at 70%).
    1 SMS received.
    9:05 (battery at 68%. Drain rate ~2% per hour)
    Change settings: (ON: phone; OFF: IR, BT, timesync).
    9:35 (battery at 66%)
    10:05 (battery at 65%)
    10:35 (battery at 64%)
    11:00 (battery at 63%, Drain rate ~2% per hour) (apparently due to the camera use).
    11:03 3 minute phone call.
    11:05 Performed a soft reset (unplugged) to correct the camera battery drain problem.
    11:15 (battery at 56%).
    12:15 (battery at 54%). Performed a second soft reset (and waited a minute before replacing the battery). Battery still at 54%.
    13:50 (battery at 53%).
    14:30 (battery at 53%, Drain rate < 0.5% per hour). Camera drain problem apparently fixed.

MY SETUP:
    I have an unlocked 680 (crimson (maybe that makes the difference! ;-)). Purchased directly from Palm in the US, but used in Australia. Typically very good signal strength. GPRS connection is on, but rarely actively used.

THE FACTORS THAT APPEAR TO BE IMPORTANT IN MY CASE:
    I think the most important thing I did to improve performance (based on the battery meter) is to calibrate the battery meter. Try this just once (*it is not good for the battery to do this more than necessary – see numerous postings about this point in earlier discussions), drain until the battery is completely dead and the 680 cannot be turned on, and then fully recharge. If you really want to get maximum range out of the meter, when green light comes on, unplug, and then check the meter. If it is not 99%, plug it back in and charge again until it stays at 99% when unplugged. Don't leave it on the charger for hours after green light comes on. (not sure if this is a problem, but it might be). Leave Bluetooth and Time synch off where possible. Don't use the camera (until Palm issues a fix) or you will have to do a soft reset to prevent the rapid battery drain. Lastly – this worked for my 680. I can not promise it will work for others, but it is worth a try if you haven’t already tried it.

For the attached battery graph image (hope it loads OK) you can see my results and the different phases where I had different settings, that relate to my chronological account. Note, the vertical blue lines define each day, the blue graph line defines percentage battery charge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DIG; 01/18/2007 at 12:25 AM.
    This seems to be working for me as well.

I'm now at 46hours since last charge and still at 55%. But I want to qualify it cuz I really haven't made many calls and have only checked the mail once. So, even for me, I have been pretty easy on the battery during this charge.

Fair to say tho that I will shatter my own personal record for duration of charge this time. (52 hours if your curious)
  3.    #63  
    More fuel for the fire:

I've been playing with the battery.prc application. I charged my phone to 100% and green LED, then switched on battery.prc. It is not reading 100% AND the red LED is on. My current usage is a +40aA, which means it is supplying charge to the battery.

This current does fall/decay off over time. After 10 minutes the battery now reads 100.00% and the green LED is on. Current is 12mA. Voltage is up to 4202 mV, and it reads my Charge as 1223.260 mAh and an est cap of 1223.00

The charging current is continuing to decay, now down to 8.925 mA.

Still decaying after 30 minutes, but down to 6.069 mA. So in reality, even after a "full charge" the battery can take more.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I take out 1 of 10 set of Treo 680 to do experiments. Here is my result: Phone Off, Btooth Off, IR Off, Manufacture fresh condition. After exactly 24 hours, the battery shows 80% I turned on the screen only 3 times for 2 sec.: at hour 0, after 12 hours, and at 24 hours.
    Treo Maniac?
  5.    #65  
    Interesting, my LED is now "sticking" on. When the screen is on, the LED is off. Turn off the screen and the LED lights up green. The phone is not connected to a charger. I can turn the screen on and off and this repeats.

And my usage has gone way up. Nearly 10% per hour.

Current during charging (At 95% battery) is now 200 mA. The green LED is on while charging, even though it is reporting only 95% battery. With the screen on, it is red. Voltage is reading 4192 mV.

<sigh>
    Last edited by red-beard; 01/18/2007 at 01:04 PM.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    I take out 1 of 10 set of Treo 680 to do experiments. Here is my result: Phone Off, Btooth Off, IR Off, Manufacture fresh condition. After exactly 24 hours, the battery shows 80% I turned on the screen only 3 times for 2 sec.: at hour 0, after 12 hours, and at 24 hours.
    20% drain over 24 hours is not too bad compared to the experience of many, suggesting 120 hours of standby time, but your 'sad face' suggests you are disappointed. Have you calibrated the battery meter? If not, then your reading of 80% might be misleading.
    Last edited by DIG; 01/18/2007 at 11:37 PM.
  8.    #68  
    After the patch installed:

With the phone turned on, connected to Phone Network, GPRS not attached, IR Beam Receive turned off, sound on,

Usage is about 1% per hour

With the phone turned on, connected to Phone Network, GPRS attached and checking e-mail every 15 minutes, IR Beam Receive turned on, sound off,

Usage is about 8.5% per hour

I will be re-running the experiment, so stay tuned.
  9.    #69  
    Ahh, remember the good old days of battery tests, camera patches, TGP and the like. I havent popped in for a while. Whatever happened to MDavis, Redbeard, Christinac. They probably all own iphones. Anyway, this may be my last post, my 680 is so well behaved and I rarely have need to log on any more. PS. If anyone is interested, there is a new version of powerhero that should fix The Glen Phenomenon.
    Ciao, DIG
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234