Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    What would you get? I have the 680 but am thinking I might be happier with the 8525. Would love to know what other people have experienced and their opinion.
    why do you think you will be happier with the 8525?

I had the 8125 but from tmobile (mda). i had it for 2 weeks.
    the 8525 is bigger and heavier.

The only benefit i see with the 8525 is that b/c its umts you can use data and voice at the same time. I guess if you want to use your headset / speaker phone to talk to someone while surfing a website or emailing someone then its good.

the cons!
    VERY UNSAFE TO CALL PEOPLE WHILE DRIVING. the touchscreen wasn't as good as palm's. do dial a call you can type on the screen, but you have to be more precise and hit the small keys. If you know how to hack it and change the skins then you can find a better dial pad, however that route removes smart dialing (the ability to dial a few numbers and phone gives you choices from your contacts).

or..you can slide open the keyboard while driving and type. not safe either. takes 2 hands to use the 8525 keyboard.

If windows mobile pocket pc fits your needs then go for it...

PALM TREO 680.
    i love it.
    having a keyboard that doesn't have to slide out for use makes it so easy to dial a phone number fast. I also feel the o/s is much faster in response than the windows mobile. I have never owned a palm os device before, i'm HOOKED. it just works. It also has a much better sounding ear piece than the 8125 did.

your choice.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    In Australia the 8525 is known as the iJam, and after seeing it in the flesh side by side with the 680 the choise is simple! It's a brick!
    The only benefit I see of teh 8525 is that it is 3G & HSPDA compatiable, hence faster data speeds.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Familyman View Post
    What would you get? I have the 680 but am thinking I might be happier with the 8525. Would love to know what other people have experienced and their opinion.
    Huh, toughie.. TREOcentral.. The 680 forum.. Which is Palm OS.

Gee, I wonder which I'd pick.
    680 no contest.
    If a 680 isn't suiting youl, what about a 750? Ir uns WM5 and has 3G. Much better choice over a 8525.

Between a 750 or a 680, I'd prob choice a 680 as I prefer the Palm OS, but it depends on your needs.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I had an 8525 for a couple of weeks, and returned it in favor of my Treo 650. The sliding keyboard was a pain. If you're used to the Treo's ease-of-use and one-handed operation, the 8525 is a step backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    I had an 8525 for a couple of weeks, and returned it in favor of my Treo 650. The sliding keyboard was a pain. If you're used to the Treo's ease-of-use and one-handed operation, the 8525 is a step backwards.
    I also had an 8525 for a couple weeks. I've had a couple WM devices before (iPaq and 8125). Honestly, I found multitasking to be a pain and a memory/speed hog. I thought the 8525 would be much faster than the sluggish 8125. It IS a bit faster, but STILL sluggish. I love the ability to quickly scan my calendar, moving forward and backward through the days quickly, and the 8525 just couldn't do that simple task. When I started progressing through the calendar days using the navigational pad, it would freeze up for 15-20 seconds at a time. Unacceptable. This was without any 3rd party apps loaded.

My opinion? Palm OS is the winner for me, and the 680 is a pretty good device. It could have been better, but it IS a little better than the 650 and I think it's better than any WM device. Hope this helps.
    I do wonder though, if the 750 works as well as the 680 in terms of the fast operation and still one handed use. I would say one handed use is important, you may not think so but if you really want to use 2 hands might as well get a UMPC and a tiny phone.