Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I have been a longtime user of Backupman, but I switched to Resco Backup because I have heard so many rave about how well it works on the 700P. I have tried both programs on the 700P and, well, thangs ain't like they usta be. Both programs crash prior to completing a backup and I have had ZERO confidence in either program since. I recently started doing manual backups after warm resetting the device as this was recommended by the good folks at Resco and where this works, it's a hassle to have to first, warm reset the device and then do manual backups again.

How are y'all doin' *successful* backups on your 700P? I want to have my confidence back that if things automagically tank (as is so possible with the 700P), I can do a restore and have confidence that all of my data will be intact.

What sayeth y'all?

Thanks!

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    nvbackup
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    FWIW:
    If you are using two backup programs without a reset in between Resco may hang. I believe this is due to overtaxing the memory (dbcache). Have you tried using only Resco? I had a similar problem trying to use both Backup Buddy and Resco; as soon as I got rid of BB, Resco became stable. I also, at the same time, locked the programs that were installed on my device, using Resco Locker, that are listed in the Resco discussion forum (under Locker, freeware) and felt that this also contributed quite a bit to stability. Good Luck!
    I use Backupman 2.1 with no problems. I have it scheduled at 3 am daily.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    NVBackup and it's free
    I've had no problems with Backupman myself. However, if you don't know what to expect, it can certainly seem like the unit has frozen up (white screen for over 5 minutes) while it is erasing an old automated backup. It seems to take almost as long to erase stuff from the card as it does to write to it...
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I use both NVbackup and Backupman, the only reason I don't completely rely on backupman is because it won't backup java.

I really like NVbackup because it will reset the device when done. Leaving my treo running nice and fresh everymorning when i wake up.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks guys!!

Yeah, when I was running both Resco and Backupman, I only had one of them on my 700P at a time but I still couldn't get through a backup without a reset. BTW, I have a *ton* of *mission-critical* software on my device - much more than the average user!!

I just ran NVBackup and OMFG!! No Reset at the end of the backup!! Fuggin' A!!! It took quite a while for it to backup (like 15 or 20 minutes) but I would assume it will get quicker over time especially if I enable date-checking, right? I'm gonna run Resco and NV parallel for a while but I am pretty impressed with this freeware, NVBackup!! I can't wait to schedule a backup tonight!!

Thanks again for all of your replies and if some of you have other related backup experiences or tips for NVBackup, please chime in!!

SMEGGIE
    As with many others here, NVBackup has worked well for me - not only during the backup of my 700p, but also when I restore after getting too agressive (e.g., deleting too many preferences) with Clean Up.

I also use OnGuard to backup my PIM, and certain other, data in "real time" should something bad happen to my treo, and have found it to work well in conjunction with NVBackup,though YMMV.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    I just ran NVBackup and OMFG!! No Reset at the end of the backup!! ...
    The option to reset after backup is in the advanced section. Mine is scheduled for 2AM so I don't know if it resets, or not.
    I like NV for three reasons.
    1. It is free
    2. I had an endless loop recently and after a hard reset NV restored my Treo perfectly
    3. It is free

...but I am not an advanced user, so I am not sure if it is the best program, or not. I just know that when I needed it...it worked.
    Last edited by haroldo; 01/15/2007 at 04:01 AM.
    BackupBuddy VFS 4.0.2

Working Fine.
    You can speedup NVBackup by changing the compression levels.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I use NVBackup 1.15 at around 11:45PM then BackupMan 1.55 at 2AM. The reason I do both is to be sure it gets backed up. Backupman WON'T tell you that it will work on the 700P but I have found it works fine. I just use NVBackup as a backup. I have had a couple of times when NVBackup didn't restore my device completely. Most of the data was there but some settings didn't get put back correctly. No big deal though. Between the two, I feel covered.

Robb
    Resco is working fine here. Perhaps some of your 'mission critical' software is causing problems?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Yup!!! Love the NVbackup!! Lovin' it!! I'm now using Resco (after a warm reset) and NVBackup. I have a 4GB card, so space isn't an issue. I have had catastrophic meltdowns before and believe me, it isn't any fun to lose all of your data, pictures, etc.

Hey, do any of you NV users use the FTP option within NVBackup? What a cool idea!! If you use this, which FTP client software do you use?

This is from NVBackup's READ ME file:

If you want your scheduled backup to be automatically uploaded to an
    ftp server, or to manually import/export a backup set from/to an ftp
    server use the Server menu from the main NVBackup screen to set up the
    server options. This is only for advanced users. You need to have
    access to an ftp server for this or run ftp server software (e.g.,
    Filezilla, war-ftpd, pure-ftpd) on your PC.
    Thanks again for all of your replies.

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeguy View Post
    Resco is working fine here. Perhaps some of your 'mission critical' software is causing problems?
    Yeah, it is. But because they are *mission-critical* I'm not willing to part with them. I can't imagine a world without ClipPro, for example.

Apps that run in the background are the problem according to Backupman developer, Bits 'n Bolts.

 Butler
     ClipPro
     Fonts4OS5
     CrashPro
     Ptoolset
     TextPLUS

SMEGGIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    BackupBuddy VFS 4.0.2

Working Fine.
    +1 Never had a problem
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Used Backupman for a long time, but had a crash and it would not restore Java or the new QuickLaunch. That was a nuisance. Following advice on this forum, I installed Resco and it restored the entire Treo. I still use both, but will probably soon eliminate Backupman.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Yup!!! Love the NVbackup!! Lovin' it!! I'm now using Resco (after a warm reset) and NVBackup. I have a 4GB card, so space isn't an issue. I have had catastrophic meltdowns before and believe me, it isn't any fun to lose all of your data, pictures, etc.

Hey, do any of you NV users use the FTP option within NVBackup? What a cool idea!! If you use this, which FTP client software do you use?

This is from NVBackup's READ ME file:

Thanks again for all of your replies.

SMEGGIE
    do you have a link for nvbackup
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl View Post
    do you have a link for nvbackup
    Here you go:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=121637
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast