Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    The wiki here may be a good start for the question of why we need backup in addition to hotsync: http://wiki.treocentral.com/index.php/Backup.

I use a backup solution (mine is the free NVBackup) because:
    1. It automatically backs up the entire unit at a pre-scheduled time (e.g. 3:15am).
    2. It saves multiple backup sets on my SD card. It can even ftp the backup set to my ftp server.
    3. I can roll back by choosing the backup set that I want. I find this particular useful when I decide to install a new application. Before I install I do a do a manual backup, then install the new app. If I don't lke the new app (such as the new Palm VersaMail Exchange ActiveSync update), I simply do a roll back.
    4. If for whatever reasons the unit is in a state that needs to be wiped out, simply launch the backup program in the SD card, and choose a backup set to restore.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    There are certain preferences that a HotSync won't back-up, like one from a secure password/personal information program for instance.

NVBackup saves everything on the phone including your call logs, any and all installed programs along with there corresponding preference files and updates, and all the phone preferences as well. So when you do a refresh, the phone will be identical to its previous state when backed up.

A Hotsync is just not as thorough and complete, and depending on what you have installed, you may find some things missing.

If anyone cares to go into more detail, please do.

Ciao.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
    I'm curious too. I thought that hotsync was a "backup".

JM
    Hotsync is in effect a backup. However, there are times when you could be FAR away from your hotsync computer (out of town, country etc) and the rule is that your Treo WILL crash.

Having a viable backup on an SD card has saved my behind quite a few times when I have been in Latin America without the benefit of my hotsync computer.

Stalker768
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vBeat View Post
    NVBackup saves everything on the phone including your call logs, any and all installed programs along with there corresponding preference files and updates, and all the phone preferences as well. So when you do a refresh, the phone will be identical to its previous state when backed up.

A Hotsync is just not as thorough and complete, and depending on what you have installed, you may find some things missing.

If anyone cares to go into more detail, please do.

Ciao.
    As I mentioned, I have gone through 3 Treos (700Ps) and each time I restored from Hotsync backup. It does restore the call logs, and it does restore my preferences, even my shortcuts. I do now understand having the backup on the SD card as you cannot always be near a computer, and if you get a replacement, say at work, and your Hotsync computer is the home PC, then you can restore at work from your SD card, and have all your info right away, and not have to wait to get home to do it. Also, I do remember that some people do have problems with HotSync, although I have never encountered a problem.
    I feel fairly convinced that the backup and restores from the card are faster and more reliable, but I still do both.
    Thats interesting Fafafoooey. My past experience with a HotSync refresh was less than acceptable.

Prior to using NVBackup, when I did a hard reset and reformat of my original 700p, the Hotsync refresh was incomplete. From what I can remember, all the phone preferences were lost like ring tones, call log, favorite buttons, application buttons, as well as some apps and prefernces.

I don't know if it has to do with the Mac version of Palm Desktop, but it was very frustrating. Since then I promised myself I would find a better way to back-up.

I say as copernicus says, and do both.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    this really shouldn't be a debate but more a preference. they both work... I don't use hotsync so I backup to sd card.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    I've never seen a hotsync restore 'everything'.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I've never seen a hotsync restore 'everything'.
    neither have i
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vBeat View Post
    Thats interesting Fafafoooey. My past experience with a HotSync refresh was less than acceptable.

Prior to using NVBackup, when I did a hard reset and reformat of my original 700p, the Hotsync refresh was incomplete. From what I can remember, all the phone preferences were lost like ring tones, call log, favorite buttons, application buttons, as well as some apps and prefernces.

I don't know if it has to do with the Mac version of Palm Desktop, but it was very frustrating. Since then I promised myself I would find a better way to back-up.

I say as copernicus says, and do both.
    I don't own a Mac, so I cannot say about that version. But mine did restore even my ringtones, favorites, etc. I was surprised especially after hearing from this board with people's experience.

*shrug* well I did load NVBackup anyway, so now I have both.
    Resco works great for me. I have a backup of 15 sets on my SD. Backs up every night at 12am without fail.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123