Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. #21  
    I use Backup.net. I love it, because I figure if I lose my treo, I've also lost my card -- having all my data online is real peace of mind. I haven't done a restore yet, so I can't speak to how well it handles that.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandzel View Post
    I use Backup.net. I love it, because I figure if I lose my treo, I've also lost my card -- having all my data online is real peace of mind. I haven't done a restore yet, so I can't speak to how well it handles that.
    Hi Brandzel!

    How does this work? All your data is stored on a third party server? That would give me the willies, even if it is password protected or encrypted.

    I use my back-up on my card for on the fly restores when I am away from my HotSync PC. You are so right -- if you lose the Treo -- you most likely have lost the SD backup.

    If this were to occur for me -- I guess I will just have to wait to load the replacement from my HotSync PC.

    Cheers, Perry.
  3. SMEGGIE's Avatar
    Posts
    416 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Brandzel!

    How does this work? All your data is stored on a third party server? That would give me the willies, even if it is password protected or encrypted.

    I use my back-up on my card for on the fly restores when I am away from my HotSync PC. You are so right -- if you lose the Treo -- you most likely have lost the SD backup.

    If this were to occur for me -- I guess I will just have to wait to load the replacement from my HotSync PC.

    Cheers, Perry.
    I do a periodic card copy to my PC in the event that I lose my data and my card. That way, at least I can go back to that point in time. I do this weekly at a minimum and more frequently when I am traveling.



    SMEGGIE
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    I do a periodic card copy to my PC in the event that I lose my data and my card. That way, at least I can go back to that point in time. I do this weekly at a minimum and more frequently when I am traveling.



    SMEGGIE

    I have the BackupBuddy desktop that backs up my SD card on each Hot Sync. . . . . . . . . . .


    (At lunch today, a co-worker was bemoaning the loss of the information on his crashed PC hard drive and how he was going to have to start from scratch with TurboTax this year. . . . . . . .(the hard drive was sent it in for recovery, as well, with no luck). . . . . . . . . in this day and age, I just could not believe what I was hearing.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/16/2007 at 12:30 PM.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandzel View Post
    I use Backup.net. I love it, because I figure if I lose my treo, I've also lost my card -- having all my data online is real peace of mind.
    I use this too and BackupBuddyVFS Pro 4.0.2. Both work great. My BBVFS program backs up to the memory card automatically every morning and I also am using a new feature "continuous backup" that will backup selected files or programs as soon as they are updated. Awesome.

    Having more than one backup is totally key! BackupBuddy.Net and BackupBuddyVFS together work great. If you have a desktop backup on top of that you are golden. Don't rely on just one backup. If your memory card gets toasted or lost and you have a crash... say goodbye to all your data.
  6. #26  
    I was a longtime Backupman user but switched to NVBackup after having issues with the 700p and Backupman. NVBackup works great. I do a backup at 3:00am every night, and have done a few restores with no problems. And you can't beat the price!
  7. #27  
    I use Resco Backup and Backupbuddy.net pro. There are no conflicts for me and I have a local and remote backup. Both restore easily.
  8. #28  
    For those of you getting resets using Resco, BBVFS, Backup Man, etc., do you have either Fonts4OS5 or mRSS on your 700p? I can't say for sure if one of these two causes the resets, but I was doing some cleaning and deleted them (including the MLicense, mare and LMreg files) and I no longer have resets during backup with any of the above apps. I also use NV Backup, but have never had a reset.

    The major caveat here is that I may have deleted other apps, one or more of which may have been causing the problem, but I don't remember since I wasn't removing them specifically for the backup problem.

    I now use FontSmoother 2.06 in place of Fonts4OS5 and have had no issues.
  9. #29  
    I have both Fonts4OS5 and Fontsmoother, no on mRSS - Fonts4OS5 has reset on me one time. I am using Fonts4OS5 to move the fonts back and forth to the card.

    Ben
  10. #30  
    Greetings.
    New member, but long time reader.

    I have only used NVBackup 1.15 and thought I would share a positive experience with it.

    My original 700p's radio was going bad, 1 bar on a good day, constant lost calls, etc., so I called to get a replacement.
    Since I needed to back-up before it arrived, I searched around and found NVBackup was well recommended, and free is always nice.
    Did a backup without a hitch, and set up the automated backups for 3AM, 2 rotations, with a reset afterwards.

    When the replacement arrived, (1 stuck pixel and a bad enter button on the 5-way, ugh!) did a restore and it worked perfectly.
    Called Verizon and got them to replace my replacement with a brand new one, no problem (very nice manager). Restored it, and all is well.

    I for one highly recommend NVBackup if your looking for a quick and easy to use backup program. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, but what it does do worked perfect for my needs.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by 20vBeat; 01/25/2007 at 02:32 PM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    BackupBuddy VFS 4.0.2

    Working Fine.
    Same here (though on my 680).
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    For those of you getting resets using Resco, BBVFS, Backup Man, etc., do you have either Fonts4OS5 or mRSS on your 700p? I can't say for sure if one of these two causes the resets, but I was doing some cleaning and deleted them (including the MLicense, mare and LMreg files) and I no longer have resets during backup with any of the above apps. I also use NV Backup, but have never had a reset.

    The major caveat here is that I may have deleted other apps, one or more of which may have been causing the problem, but I don't remember since I wasn't removing them specifically for the backup problem.

    I now use FontSmoother 2.06 in place of Fonts4OS5 and have had no issues.
    Just remembered that I also deleted Launcher X - mainly because one of its support files got corrupted and was causing a reset loop. I use ZLauncher anyway so it was no big loss. Anyone not using LX and still having backup problems? My backups are still working fine since my original post.
  13. Rob_T's Avatar
    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #33  
    Mike over at Bits N Bolts has FontsforOS5 listed as an app. that causes BackupMan to reset. I recently installed Icons Plus which also causes BackupMan to reset.

    I solved this problem by installing the free Resco Locker app.

    Resco Backup has the lock function built-in so if you plan to use it you don't need to install Resco Locker (in addition to Resco Backup).

    The trick is to find out which apps. to lock to prevent resets. Resco Locker helps get you started by identifying apps. which are good candidates for locking.

    Anyway, if you are having resets with BackupMan or Resco Backup...locking certain apps. may cause this problem to go away for you.

    NVBackup uses a different method for creating backups so it doesn't have these same reset problems.

    You can get Resco Backup here:

    http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/default.asp
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post

    NVBackup uses a different method for creating backups so it doesn't have these same reset problems.
    that's not true....i had nvbackup installed.....and everytime I restored...my treo went into a reset loop......the problem turned out to be with obsufcate...so you still get resets with NVbackup..personally..i like resco backup
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandzel View Post
    I use Backup.net. I love it, because I figure if I lose my treo, I've also lost my card -- having all my data online is real peace of mind. I haven't done a restore yet, so I can't speak to how well it handles that.
    Did you mean backupbuddy.net? I couldn't locate a backup.net


    jc
  16. SMEGGIE's Avatar
    Posts
    416 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
       #36  
    I use Avvenu for this as well. I have an Avvenu folder set up on the desktop of each computer (work and home) and I copy my backups to these folders so I can retrieve them from anywhere I can get to a PC...regardless of whether my computers are on or not.



    SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

    SMEGGIE


    A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
  17. hrlaser's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    Did you mean backupbuddy.net? I couldn't locate a backup.net


    jc
    BackupBuddyVFS (to backup to your card) and BackupBuddy.net (to backup securely / encrypted.. to their servers over the air).. both by BlueNomad LLC. I have both of them on my Sprint 700p and Sprint 650 and both are extremely high quality programs, coded by a genius. I reviewed them some time back. Click my name / byline on any of my reviews (like the review of the Seidio mongo battery currently on the front page).. for a list of all the stuff I've written here and you'll get a list and see my review of BlueNomad's excellent programs. I wouldn't be without them. They are both as bug-free as any software I've ever used and they couldn't be easier to use. Both have lots of options (manual or timed backups, multiple backup sets.. blah blah etc. etc.).. Both are on my list of my top ten favorite PalmOS programs of all time.. indespensible programs I would not be without

    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    that's not true....i had nvbackup installed.....and everytime I restored...my treo went into a reset loop......the problem turned out to be with obsufcate...so you still get resets with NVbackup..personally..i like resco backup
    Sounds like maybe a problem with Obsufcate rather than NVbackup. Think they were discussing resets of a different sort anyway.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vBeat View Post
    Greetings.
    New member, but long time reader.

    I have only used NVBackup 1.15 and thought I would share a positive experience with it.

    My original 700p's radio was going bad, 1 bar on a good day, constant lost calls, etc., so I called to get a replacement.
    Since I needed to back-up before it arrived, I searched around and found NVBackup was well recommended, and free is always nice.
    Did a backup without a hitch, and set up the automated backups for 3AM, 2 rotations, with a reset afterwards.

    When the replacement arrived, (1 stuck pixel and a bad enter button on the 5-way, ugh!) did a restore and it worked perfectly.
    Called Verizon and got them to replace my replacement with a brand new one, no problem (very nice manager). Restored it, and all is well.

    I for one highly recommend NVBackup if your looking for a quick and easy to use backup program. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, but what it does do worked perfect for my needs.
    Cheers.

    This might seem to be an ignorant question, but what makes these softwares different from just HotSync'ing, aside from the SD card ability? I have had 3 Treos and HotSync has restored me without issue.

    Thanks.
  20. jimmarako's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #40  
    This might seem to be an ignorant question, but what makes these softwares different from just HotSync'ing, aside from the SD card ability? I have had 3 Treos and HotSync has restored me without issue.
    I'm curious too. I thought that hotsync was a "backup".

    JM
    Last edited by jimmarako; 02/02/2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: tweak
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions