Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have read either here or on other forums that the initial 700Ps were problematic. If that's true then how do I tell if one I'm buying locally used is an older version? Is there a version of firmware that will clue me in?

I have a chance of buying one of a local guy for $350 which doesn't seem too bad based on what I've seen on ebay.
    I bought the 700p when it first came out, and I haven't had any problems with it.

The firmware hasn't changed on the 700p, so that won't be an indicator of it being newer. There is a hardware version on Phone Info in the phone application. Mine is A and I don't know if newer ones are different.
    I had one back in July that seemed fine for a few days, then slowly degraded into a soft-reset nightmare machine.

Sprint kept giving me the "it's third-party applications" spiel, but I finally got them to cut the BS when I did a zero-out reset in front of a Sprint employee and it STILL spontaneously did resets.

Later I was told by a high-volume seller (the store I had originally bought from) that Palm released a series of 700p's with "bad memory." Turns out that nearly all of the ones that retailer first sold were eventually returned as defective - spontaneous resets galore.

I guess I got "lucky" though, as of the several others I've purchased, none have the awful problem that lost me four days of intense troubleshooting. The one I have now (and these are reported by nearly all who have them) just has the known "flickering keyboard light" and "unreliable bluetooth headset" and "ridiculous lag" features that Palm may or may never fix.

Short answer to your question: Palm's track record is typically to burn the "early adopters" of their products (AKA "beta testers") - after a few months we've found all the bugs for them and the later models are in much better shape. Pretty good chance that new ones rolling out now probably still have at least the 3 problems I mentioned previously, and Palm has stated they don't intend to fix the "lag." (see the "letter" that is in another thread).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    the part about the zero-reset in-front-of a Sprint rep made me lol. Not at your angst, mind you, but because of it. This device is maddening--and I share your pain, bro.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I picked up the 700p the day it come out, in fact the reps didn't even have it is their computer yet. I don't have any random resets. Any resets I did have, was from 3rd party apps that had not updated their software for the 700p
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews View Post
    I bought the 700p when it first came out, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Same here. Mine has worked flawlessly since day 1

Don't believe everything you read here. For every bad experience posted here there are a couple thousand positive experiences that don't get posted.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I bought mine at Thanksgiving and it is Hardware A as well, so nothing has changed (that they are acknowledging). I've had some rough patches at the beginning, but I had similar issues with my Treo 600 at the beginning. Now the 700 seems to be fine.

And don't think that Palm is the only company shipping problematic products to early adopters. Anyone try using Windows Vista yet???

The best approach is to wait a bit before buying something new and let others be your guide.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks guys.

Found a few-day old 700P on the local craigslist for $330!! The thing is brand new!! Have desktop synch and email setup (I think). Still playing.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Plenty of P's for sale. The wx's are a bit harder to find...of course they actually work.
  10. rsa
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NextDream View Post
    Plenty of P's for sale. The wx's are a bit harder to find...of course they actually work.
    Is that a cheap shot or is there evidence to support you claim?

I too am thinking about upgrading from a Palm TX pda to a Treo 700p phone next month and am trying to wade through the BS to find reality when it comes to the stability of any smartphone or pdaphone. No matter what phone I research I find someone that throws out a one liner like yours. Are you an imbitered 700p user. Is there some useful information that you could pass on to a 700p/wx future owner?
    Must be a cheap shot or a faulty phone. If you can't get the 'simple' Palm OS working for ya, well, what's that say about the operator. Again, could've been bad hardware/software issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by NextDream View Post
    If you haven't bought yet, consider SERO if you don't need a family plan.

http://www.sprint.com/sero

You'll need to find an email address for a sprint employee to put into the web site, but that's doable even if you need to search for one.

You can buy the phone for $350 with no rebate.
    You get a brand-new phone.
    You'll be able to get 500 minutes for $30/month (or 1000 minutes for $50/month)

Here's a (long) T|C thread on the topic:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106778

good luck!
    -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  13.    #13  
    So far, mine has worked great!! I haven't missed the graffiti as much as I thought I would initially so I'll see how it goes for a while before I think about adding on a graffiti program.

The only think that the 700p doesn't have that the I330 had was the voice dialing but I wasn't using it much anyway.

The next big step is to get the PDAnet working.
    congrats! Sorry if you missed out on SERO. PdaNet is nice on the 700p!
    (I don't use it that often, but it's nice when I do.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    If you haven't bought yet, consider SERO if you don't need a family plan.

http://www.sprint.com/sero

You'll need to find an email address for a sprint employee to put into the web site, but that's doable even if you need to search for one.

You can buy the phone for $350 with no rebate.
    You get a brand-new phone.
    You'll be able to get 500 minutes for $30/month (or 1000 minutes for $50/month)
    Plus you will be able to insure it, something you probably will have trouble with if bringing over a used phone. Wherever you buy the Treo, and no matter what you grok from the variety of Treo experiences posted in forums, many people have burned themselves by "saving" that $6 on insurance each month. Even if you are lucky enough to never have a problem with your Treo... you might not.

BTW - Sprint has issued a "generic" email for people to use on that site: savings@sprint.com. The SERO plan is really useful for certain people. I've put several people on it and have heard nothing but praise.
    Last edited by Joad; 01/17/2007 at 01:23 AM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  16.    #16  
    I was aware of the SERO. I've been with Sprint for 7 years and have the Fair and Flexible plan with 4 phones ($80/month) and it works out cheaper!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    My patience is wearing thin. There are times when the lag causes me not to be able to even answer or hangup so I can answer. My phone is mission critical and honestly I find Verizon has some coverage that is helpful but otherwise drops calls like T-Mobile. I use every one of my 5,000/mo. plus data.

Palm needs to fix it or tell us they are not so I can move on. I have a couple of apps that I need the Palm OS for which is the only reason I am hanging in. I may go back to a 650 although would miss EVDO.
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Got my first 700p in early November. It was a mess, constanly resetting or needing to be reset.

Got a replacement no problem (corporate account)

Second one is working. Only two resets on this one, both after loading new software onto the Treo. But after that works as advertised.

The only problem I am having is not being able to sync TASKS.
    ^your Tasks database on your treo is corrupt. Delete the database from your handheld using FileZ then hotsync with 'desktop overwrites handheld' setting. I have done this once when I was getting errors syncing tasks. Worth a try. Good luck and welcome to TC.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    How do you delete the Tasks database? In Filez I see "TasksDB-PTod" in green and am told I can't delete it "This operation can't be performed on a card (Internal)". Huh? Some other file I should delete?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast