Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I check here at least once a week and don't really see anyone talking about it anymore. Is there any information I'm missing or should I give up waiting for it or start checking every 2 months for an update?
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Who wants to bet the iphone gets a ROM update before the 700p? haha

Palm said quarter 1 so they still have a couple months before we start *****ing about this again.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post

Palm said quarter 1 so they still have a couple months before we start *****ing about this again.
    The iPhone IS the 700p ROM update
    <br>
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I never technically "gave up" once I realized that Palm had ZERO interest in fixing any of the 700p issues back last summer.

I'm going to use the device until my contract is up and then go back to the old reliable TX + dumbphone combination until a more appealing converged device comes along.

IF the 700p is patched I'll be very pleasantly surprised, of course, but I still would prefer an antenna-less, larger screened device at any rate.
    I've given up. Im biding my time until I test out an iPhone. If the keyboard sucks, then I'll be going to a blackberry solution. Stability has become the most important thing for me.

If hell freezes over and palm actually does release a firmware update, it better have the new phone app.
    I haven't given up because of the response to Bob's letter. But if the end of the quarter comes and goes without an update, I will be that much more interested in the iPhone--something I think I'll get anyway in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I never technically "gave up" once I realized that Palm had ZERO interest in fixing any of the 700p issues back last summer.

I'm going to use the device until my contract is up and then go back to the old reliable TX + dumbphone combination until a more appealing converged device comes along.

IF the 700p is patched I'll be very pleasantly surprised, of course, but I still would prefer an antenna-less, larger screened device at any rate.

I thought you were happy with your 700p... what is the issue (or issues)?

What kind of stability issues do the rest of you have?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I think for me the iPhone has really lessened my interest in whether or not the 700p get's patched. Either way, in many respects it will still be overshadowed by the iPhone.

There are several things I have noticed though about the 700p. First of all, as some others had posted on these boards previously, if you REALLY want to reset the phone, take the battery out for a bit and put it back in. This does seem to clear out more than just the soft reset, especially in relation to Bluetooth issues, etc.

The other thing I noticed is that my phone has been a LOT more stable ever since I stopped using Bluetooth. I was getting sick of all of the crackling and the disconnects so I switched to using the phone itself and turned the Bluetooth system off on the phone. Ever since I've done this I haven't had a single random reset, and in general the phone seems to be running a lot smoother. This is hardly an acceptable fix, however, it does give me hope that maybe by fixing some of the Bluetooth issues, Palm would also wind up resolving some of the other issues with the phone.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I have no hope for Palm - I can't wait to get a different device.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post

It look's like Palm wants us to change devices. Iphone, Motorola Q or the Black Jack if they come out with it for CDMA. I would imagine that we will see the 750 version of CDMA by June with windows and I may switch. I did try the 700wx and it was pretty smooth. My 700p would be ok if it didn't have the lag. I just can't believe that Palm does not know that this is a very real current problem with the 700's (for most users)!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    It look's like Palm wants us to change devices. I just can't believe that Palm does not know that this is a very real current problem with the 700's (for most users)!
    Yeah, if Palm could just dump those of us evangelizing the capabilities of the Treo (in spite of what it COULD be), then maybe Palm would really start making some sales.

Maybe they've figured out that $600+ "multimedia" smartphone without functioning bluetooth pairing and no proper multimedia jacks will sell themselves to youngsters and gramps if their core base Tech users would just move on to Crackberries and iPhones. From the support they've been offering, sometimes I'm tempted to believe you.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I've invested a chunk of change in 3d-party apps, so I'm hoping the competition lights a fire under Palm's ***. The iPhone looks pretty, but I think it will be a pain to type on a flat surface without "feedback" from keys. It will also look like crap from finger oils and such. And if the whole scratching iPod was any indication (I've never owned one, so I really can't speak to this)...

I seem to remember early Apple computers in the mid 80s that variously tried to go "smooth," too. That failed miserably.

Also, the iPhone (unless Cisco has its way, haha) has a built-in battery, which I think is a horrible idea, and doesn't seem as if it will be very user-configurable (read: heavily crippled). I still welcome the innovation, in that the competition will force everyone to move forward, or be kicked to the curb.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

I've done what you described before. I ditched my 650 for a razr and a TX. Once you've had one device, it really is a drag to go back to 2 devices. I now have a 700p. Although it's not the best out there it certainly is better than carrying 2 devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    It look's like Palm wants us to change devices. Iphone, Motorola Q or the Black Jack if they come out with it for CDMA.
    Sprint just released the Q for CDMA...
    i am considering dumping the 700p and going wiht the W.
    I hate to say this, but my Treo 700P has been sitting in my closet for the last few months, and I went to a Blackberry 8703e. I was just sick and tired of my Treo 700P freezing up and then having to do a re-set, slow application access, pathetic battery life, and e-mails just being pulled to the device at any given time frame, nothing consistent.

Unfortunately the Treo 700P is not a reliably device for me!

The Blackberry 8703e truthfully has worked excellent. It does have some limitations, like no video, external storage, no touch screen, but the e-mail program is the bomb, and the RIM operating system is rock solid. I have NEVER had this device freeze-up, and it works flawlessly.

If and when, Treo decides to straighten out the problems with the Treo 700P, I would consider trying it once again, but until then, in will be resting comfortably in the box, it was purchased in.

Matt
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've given up. My thought is that when the iPhone is released I'll just pay the Sprint ET fee and jump ship to Cingular.

I'm very disappointed in Palm.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I've given up on the 700p - ROM upgrade or not. I believed the hype and reviews. I was debating between the 700p and the Q. I initially went with the Q, but it had too many problems to start. After seeing the glowing reviews about the 700p, I exchanged the Q for it. Color me underwhelmed. I can't wait for Verizon to release a new smartphone of some kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    I seem to remember early Apple computers in the mid 80s that variously tried to go \"smooth,\" too. That failed miserably.

Also, the iPhone (unless Cisco has its way, haha) has a built-in battery, which I think is a horrible idea, and doesn\'t seem as if it will be very user-configurable (read: heavily crippled). I still welcome the innovation, in that the competition will force everyone to move forward, or be kicked to the curb.
    Very good assessment of the iPhone. I expect it to be like a multimedia Blackberry without a very good email client.
    About that Sprint ET fee, I just got a mailer from Assurion stating that they will be increasing their monthly coverage price from $6 to $7 starting 2/18/07.

I've read about changes like this to pricing after the fact giving subsribers a way out of ETF fees. I wonder if this would qualify as a change in contract on Sprint's end, or if the Assurion thing is something totally separate which has no bearing on your Sprint contract.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast