Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    if talking fiscally 1st quarter is up...anyway I've given up after Palm replied with such condescending bullcrap in their letter.
    My plans you ask? Take things into my own hands,and or wait and try a new device in about a year...I won't go back to cingular, so the iphone is out of the question, but then it was out of the question already because of the slooooooow data...thanks palm,you suck!

oh,by the way...if they do release an update it won't adress the issues we wanted fixed anyway.

Maybe someone with some real 1337 skills can hack the rom tool to work without needing palm to hold their hand...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    At this point, I think the world has worked around Palm and the 700p issues. An update now is too little too late. I've been a loyal Treo owner, but this is the end of the road for me. hello iPhone!
    I agree with the above two posters completely - too little too late. At this point, I'm just looking for an excuse to jump to Sprint's new relase of the Q (shudder...).
    Don't you think that the whole ROM update thing is ultimately Sprint's fault?

They're the ones who decide when something gets updated.
    I don't know about you guys...but I can deal with the random freezes.....i think what makes the treo great is their keyboard...i don't know how apple is going to compensate for a true push keyboard...i think that drawback alone is enough to deter me from the iPhone...as I believe text-input is what allows us to empower our phone and allows for the ease of use
    I might very well be missing something, but what on earth are you guys talking about? What's so bad about the 700p? I was the "mann F*** palm, I'll never use it, the UI sucks...yadda yadda" kinda guy...I tried the Q, i730 (samsung), PPC6700...and they all blew. Until I met the 700p...I fell in absolute love with the device...again, unless I'm missing something, this thing is stable as hell.

The iPhone is something different, but not a miracle by any means. Yeah it's cool...but you've got people dedicated to jumping the gun before the thing has been released!...that's not too fair...then again, if this update that everyone is expecting doesn't come along, it wouldn't be fair either.

Edit: I think it would be better if people just admitted that they really want a ROM update so "certain people" could hack it, and make a Rom Tool for it...instead of bashing the device about things people could live with.

With the PPC6700, FAST assed device, but...install programs, that have "Today screen" plug-ins, to the mem card, and it bogs down and lags..."so why not install them into the main memory..." because once it has low memory, it bogs down and lags...again, these are my opinions....
    Last edited by RavenII; 01/16/2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Final thoughts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i'm with ravenII and i did not like the 700w and other smartphones i tested out. i eventually went back to 700p.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    the update will not cure the lag. I'm willing to bet. the 700p is stretching a severely superannuated os. Die palm, die.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan View Post
    the update will not cure the lag. I'm willing to bet. the 700p is stretching a severely superannuated os. Die palm, die.
    Although I'm not getting my hopes up too high on this either, I'd like to see Palm get the device operating as well as the 650 does. You would think if they can get the 650 stable they could the same for the 700P.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Actually I think they might not be able to. Between the demands that Evdo places on the os and the memory issues vis a vis the much larger internal memory, it will be a struggle to get the 700p up to the speed of the 650 (which is MUCH faster). In the response to "the letter" palm clearly showed us that they don't think there even is a lag issue, at least not big enough of an issue to do anything about. I don't mean to be pessimistic, I'd love it if my 700p were as fast as my 650, but I have to be realistic. The phone constantly locks up whenever it loses or gains reception (650 never did) I don't think it's simply a firmware issue here but I'd love to be proved wrong.
    Im ABSOLUTELY still waiting for the ROM update from Palm! Without it, the Bluetooth is just crap.

It *will* be a great phone !!!!
    (I think I'm beginning to sound a little like Perry now ;-)

I can live with some pTunes skips and the lag issues will be better.

Just remember, that with each design decision Palm makes in a new model, they learn things. The 300, 600, and 650 all had issues when they first came out but all became good state-of-the-art phones after the ROM updates. Palm has committed to doing this.

TO ME, THIS WILL BE A MEASURE OF THE INCREASING AGILITY THEY WILL NEED TO SHOW IN ORDER TO COMPETE WITH APPLE. PALM NEEDS TO SHOW ME THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF EXISTING CUSTOMERS IF THEY EVER WANT ME TO BUY ANOTHER PALM DEVICE AGAIN.

I won't be replacing mytreo anytime soon, but I'll continue giving Plam "bad press" here on TC until the 700p ROM update is released. (I guess that makes me a "Perry with an attitude!") PALM: PROVE THAT MY HOPES ARE RIGHT AND OTHERS' EXPECTATIONS ARE WRONG!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post

I can live with some pTunes skips and the lag issues will be better.
    Here's the difference between you and a lot of others here. Palm marketed this device as an mp3 player as well. Sprint does it too, but the last time I checked, the iPod doesn't skip. The Zune, the Dell DJ, the Gigabeat don't skip. NONE of the samsung mp3 capable phones skipped, nor the sanyo's, nor the nokias, nor the sony ericssons. I will not, WILL NOT, be satisfied if this lag exists at all, and I'm sure many people agree. With this skipping and lagging, the treo 700p does not make a viable MP3 player. I bugs the hell out of me when songs skip and jolt at random moments.
    I'm willing to look at the iPhone but am still hopeful that Palm will release a bug fix. I'm losing hope, though.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Here's the difference between you and a lot of others here. Palm marketed this device as an mp3 player as well. ....
    I totally agree with you Merlyn. You are right, I don't use the MP3 player feature. (I stream shoutcast primarily for talk radio.)

-- Bob
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    From someone who has gone the 600-->650-->700p route, I can say that I have had very little issues with my Treo. I've had the 700p for a couple months now, and it has ran without a hitch. I have had literally 1-2 soft resets, and that's it.

I have the Motorola H700 BT headset, and it has never lost connectivity after being paired to the phone.

What are you guys dropping on your phones anyway?
    That's it! I never bought the 650 and Palm is getting their revenge on me! ;-)
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myculito View Post
    From someone who has gone the 600-->650-->700p route, I can say that I have had very little issues with my Treo. I've had the 700p for a couple months now, and it has ran without a hitch. I have had literally 1-2 soft resets, and that's it.

I have the Motorola H700 BT headset, and it has never lost connectivity after being paired to the phone.

What are you guys dropping on your phones anyway?
    exceptions prove the rule
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    My 700P is mission critical as my main contact number. I use every one of my 5,000 min/mo plus "in network" and data. The lag causes me to miss incoming calls when it will not respond to a hang up or swap. It is so frustrating to have an incoming call from an important client and not to be able to get to it. I am very close to giving up and yet the convergence is also critical. I don't know what Palm is doing about this phone but but it has to be affecting sales as I warn everyone who asks to wait until the update and see if it fixes it.
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
    I agree with the above two posters completely - too little too late. At this point, I'm just looking for an excuse to jump to Sprint's new relase of the Q (shudder...).

I did some checking on the "Q" and quicken doesn't run on it, I guess I could try StyleTap and see if it supports some Palm files.

Is there any chance of the new Palm Treo in June having any chance of running access?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I'd like to join the venting. I had a 650 and loved it. Figured the 700p could only be better as i use it as a tethered modem every day and wanted the faster data. While that's true, its totally slower, battery life stinks and I never had an iPod until I got my skip-o-matic Treo 700p. They came out with lots of ROM updates for the 600 and 650s and they got better every time. Nada now on the 700. Our whole company was Treos and now we're converting in droves to other devices (mostly Blackberry) Hello, don't have to charge them for days! I used to hate Blackberry because there weren't a lot of apps for them. But now all i really care about is phone, email, and tethered modem. Blackberry does all that and it don't crash every hour.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast