Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a few questions. where do you put the back up program? do you save it to the card or do you save it to the treo? I currently have back up man saved to my sd card. It will not do automatic back ups. I get a message that says back up will not run from card must do manual back up.
    I am a little confused if back up programs are stored on the treo and your treo hard reset won't it only restore the thing that where factory set on the device?meaning the program won't be on there if treo resets. so how do you run the back up program to restore your device ? I m looking for a way to auto back up some times I forget to do it manually . also what is the current version on nv back up where do I get it ? and does it work for the treo 700p?. suggestion on other backup programs will be welcome. thus far back up man has been great. I have had to restore my device and everything went great. . I have zlauncher on my treo
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 01/14/2007 at 09:50 AM.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl View Post
    I have a few questions. where do you put the back up program? do you save it to the card or do you save it to the treo? I currently have back up man saved to my sd card. It will not do automatic back ups. I get a message that says back up will not run from card must do manual back up.
    I am a little confused if back up programs are stored on the treo and your treo hard reset won't it only restore the thing that where factory set on the device?meaning the program won't be on there if treo resets. so how do you run the back up program to restore your device ? I m looking for a way to auto back up some times I forget to do it manually . also what is the current version on nv back up where do I get it ? and does it work for the treo 700p?. suggestion on other backup programs will be welcome. thus far back up man has been great. I have had to restore my device and everything went great. . I have zlauncher on my treo
    any help? in treo land?
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Probably need a copy in RAM to allow the auto b/u functionality, and a copy on card to allow restores if RAM goes poof. A lot of b/u apps will ask you if you want to (or have the option to automatically) place a copy of itself to the card for restore purposes.
  4.    #4  
    what back up are you using? where is you b/u located?
    what happens if it crashes and I don't have a copy on my card?
    if I copy to ram will it cause me to have duplicate back up?
    The application needs to be in the device's RAM and in the /Palm/Launcher folder on the SD card. Having the application in RAM means the backups can be done on a set schedule and those backups saved to the SD card. Having the application in the /Palm/Launcher folder means you will have access to the application after the execution of a hard reset and that you can then restore the device from one of the backups located on the card.

Ben
  6.    #6  
    thanks ben I have zlauncher what should I do. if you can give me a little step my step that should help. thanks in advance
  7.    #7  
    ok I just copied it to the ram by using zlauncher now I have two backbup man icons .
    did I do something wrong? how do I get rid of it. when I touch one it launches when it touch the other it says something about prc already exist do I want to over write it
    what should I do?
    The application should prompt you to copy it to the card; if it does not, then copy (not move) the application from the device to /Palm/Launcher. BackupManager (no longer use it) and Resco Backup (use it exclusively) both prompt you to copy it to the SD card.

The copy can be done via its file manager (gives you more control), so find the application to be moved and then tap and hold the application name, then COPY, it should then bring up a screen titled "Copy" and then tap on the + next to Card, scroll down to PALM and tap the + and then tap Launcher and then tap OK.

Ben
    You are fast. You will have two icons - one for RAM and one for the card launcher. It really makes no difference which one you play with - as long as you do not move the application to a ZLauncher application launch folder - it has to be in the /Palm/Launcher folder. If you put it in a ZLauncher application launch folder, when you exit the application, the copy in RAM gets zapped.

You do not want to make the SD application invisible or whatever - it needs to be available to you if you do need to use it after a hard reset.

Ben
  10.    #10  
    ok ben so far so good. but how do I know if it is in a palm folder and not a z launcher folder? how do I answer the overwrite question?

I think I answered my own question (where its located palm or zlauncher) when I hit the second back up man icon here is what it say"/palm/launch/backupman.prc already exist in the ram do you want to over write it?
    what should I hit ok or cancel?
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 01/14/2007 at 01:00 PM.
    The path on the card will tell you. /Palm/Launcher is the default launching folder for the card and is always available to you in a device that is either brand new or just been hard reset. By always available to you, pressing the "home" key will cycle you to it.

The ZLauncher application launch folders are not available for normal use and reside in /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps and the sub-folders under it. That is where by default ZLauncher puts applications that you move to the folder using ZLaunchers "move" feature from its main display screen.

For what you want, your backup application must be located in the SD folder /Palm/Launcher. It just gotta be there.

Ben
    If you let the backup program copy itself to the card then it will place the card copy in the correct spot (at least TealBackup and BackupBuddy used to do this). If you go to the Palm Application Launcher (Home), select the 'card' category, and see your backup app in that category, it's in the right spot (or see Ben's post about where in the card's directory structure it should be).

For the overwrite question: It only happens when you select the icon representing the app on the card - just select no and always use the other icon (representing the app in RAM) when you want to manually run the app (that way you never are presented with the overwrite question).
  13.    #13  
    how do I answer the overwrite question? it shows up when I hit the second icon
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    If you let the backup program copy itself to the card then it will place the card copy in the correct spot (at least TealBackup and BackupBuddy used to do this). If you go to the Palm Application Launcher (Home), select the 'card' category, and see your backup app in that category, it's in the right spot (or see Ben's post about where in the card's directory structure it should be).

For the overwrite question: It only happens when you select the icon representing the app on the card - just select no and always use the other icon (representing the app in RAM) when you want to manually run the app (that way you never are presented with the overwrite question).
    I believe the icon is a zlauncher short cut . can I delete it so I don't have double icons? just delete the short cut not the application. I think when you tap on it it will ask you do you wanna delete all associated files or just the short cut
    thanks you you guys are great.
    You need to keep them both available. As suggested above, if you start the one on the card and the application is also in RAM, just tap cancel if over-write is asked. If you do decide to delete an icon or make one invisible, then make the one in RAM invisible, not the one on the card - the card icon MUST be there in order to execute a restore if the device has had a hard reset done to it.

Ben
    in zl you should have an option for programs on the SD card to show a little SD icon nex to it so you can tell the difference...also...when you figure out which is which, move the SD version icon to a different category to avoid confusion
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  17.    #17  
    ok I tried to delete the short cut icon that didn't work. I see the little sd card icon ro show me which one is which . I just don't know how to make the one suggested invisible invisiable . this double icon is bothering me . is it just a woman thing? I moved the original icon to a diffrent catagory when I first downloaded it months ago I just checked and the new icon is in the same catagory . normally when I download stuff the icon shows up in a diffrent place.
    any more help?
    since my phila eagles are done for the season I figured I get this treo straighten out (ha ha)
    Another option: since a file manager is on the 700p's rom (AKA it is not going anywhere), move the copy on the card to another folder (I have it in the same folder as where the backup folders are placed). This will eliminate the duplicate icon. The downside to this is adding a step for the restore. If you have to recover from a catastrophic failure, you will need to start by copying the backup program to RAM before being able to see the document to do the restore.
  19.    #19  
    thanks but no thanks I dont wanna add any more steps. is there a way to make it invisiable?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Slow down here!! You will have two icons because there are two copies of the app. One in RAM and one on the card. It has to be this way, don't try to change it. Leave the one that's on the card alone, only open the one that's in RAM. You can tell the difference because the one on the card has the little card symbol by it, if you have that zLauncher feature enabled. So now just open the one in RAM and set it up for automatic backups. Now you never have to open it again unless you need something from a backup. Does that make sense?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast