Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    thank you Apple for stepping up the level of phones. it truly is the best entertainment phone that will be available.

I really hope it is a huge hit. this will hopefully get palm to get there thumb out of there ***. please excuse the comment.

I personally will not be switching (yet). my reason is because I can't edit docs spreadsheets etc. a reason to not switch because no buttons? that is as lame as people not going to the treo because its to BIG. some phones are so small and my hand so big that it looks like I am talking into my hand...

it would be insane if palm could get the os x on the Treo. a unix os? I am drooling of the thought. it would never happen...

Anyway I welcome Apple. Palm wake up and smell the coffee.

Now give me my 700p UPDATE!! hehe
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    thank you Apple for stepping up the level of phones. it truly is the best entertainment phone that will be available.

I really hope it is a huge hit. this will hopefully get palm to get there thumb out of there ***. please excuse the comment.

I personally will not be switching (yet). my reason is because I can't edit docs spreadsheets etc. a reason to not switch because no buttons? that is as lame as people not going to the treo because its to BIG. some phones are so small and my hand so big that it looks like I am talking into my hand...

it would be insane if palm could get the os x on the Treo. a unix os? I am drooling of the thought. it would never happen...

It's as if you read my mind and put down everything I was thinking! Great post.
    I would like to see Spring rip off the visual voice mail.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    It's about time someone paid attention to the usability of a phone. My 700p is okay to use but the interface on the wife's Razr is abysmal. Competition is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post

<snip>

I think it would be "insane," as you put it, if Apple were to allow phone owners to install software on the iPhone. As of now, there's no capability to do that--you're stuck with the software (albeit extensive) that comes pre-installed.

That, coupled with lack of 3G and no WiFi download of songs into iTunes are a few of the major reasons I won't be buying until iPhone 2.0 (or at least 1.2) is released.

I have to agree though...totally cool phone, with skads of potential.

By the way, and possible venturing OT, have we heard when the promised 700p update is? I'm sick and tired of my BT (and other) issues!

Napoleon, don't be jealous because I stay at home and chat with babes online all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter.
    Watching the iPhone unveiling gave me upgrade fever. While I was familiar with the 700p, I didn't seriously consider replacing my 650 until last Thursday. After playing with the 700p at the Sprint store, I made the switch Friday.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I for one would stay clear of their initial rollouts. My experience with the Ipod has been awful. So you may run into problems with their built in battery, software etc. as Apple I found does not correct bugs they just force you to buy the next generation.

I bought two Ipod Mini's 2 years ago and they claimed to have an a 8 hour battery life. I never saw more than 3 hours on either. I had to bring both back several times for exchanges. Yet each was always the same problem.

Only poor press and class actions finally forced them to replace the batteries and originally they tried to force me to pay $90 for a new battery for each unit.

Even now I still only get a few hours playtime and seems each time I try and use it that annoying Apple logo appears and it's resetting itself before I can play it. Still freezes up many times and when I hotsynch at least once a month it tells me I have to reset the software back to original specs and than it takes 30 minutes to load my music library back on.

Sure, now they don't make the Mini only 2 years later and they suggest I spend yet another $249 for the Nano which is really exactly the same unit with a longer "claimed" battery life.

What they are telling me is I'm supposed to pay again for their mistakes!

So good luck with being on the leading edge of buying their first generation iPhone. I for one would not touch that phone and am extremely happy with the 700P!

Apple is a smart marketeer. I remember when they got all the kids hooked on their products at an early age by giving free computers to their schools.

These days, what kid doesn't own an Ipod?

So for them to come out with a phone that plays video's it's pure marketing genius as they now have this huge customer base of mostly kids! But time will tell how well they can cram all the software into a small form factor and not have it throw off many early bugs.

Look how many generations of smartphones it took Palm to workout most of it's inherent problems and now be able to do so many things in a unit of this size.

I think Apple has a long road ahead of them and unless you're willing to cough up another $100 for their Apple support you will be stuck with having to buy the next generation of smartphone (much like we've all suffered suffered with the Palm OS).

Apple many times like Palm also forces you to buy all new accessories like Palm does when they bring new models out!

Like others have said, the iPhone will definitely be a good thing to give Palm and others a kick in the **** to get their acts together and start to support with proper firmware fixes or they will quickly lose their customer base.

I'm not tied to Palm it's just IMO and experience, their OS platform is still the best out there when one needs a smartphone that helps them run their business too, like I do.
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/14/2007 at 09:50 AM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    I'm happy that the iPhone (or whatever it will be called) is coming out for 2 reasons mainly.

1. It will get more people in the smartphone market
    2. It will force Palm to be more innovative or be beat out.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I think we all know the iphone will have some flaws out the gate. look at what the ipod has become after all the gens.

what is impressive though is what they are starting with. Its a slap in the face to the other companies. See what a phone can do?

I am sure Gates is taking notes and the WM5 will get a overhaul. don't get me wrong I still love my 700p but let's be honest here... We are running a OS that compares to Windows 3.1
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I'm happy that the iPhone (or whatever it will be called) is coming out for 2 reasons mainly.

But can it really be considered a "smartphone?" I would argue it's not--at this point in its rollout.

The "OS X" ends up, in reality, being OS X-Lite--and you can't install user-specific programs, ala the Treo family of smartphones.

Granted, the programs (that I've seen) are impressive--but I'm quite happy with my 700p and this point.

Napoleon, don't be jealous because I stay at home and chat with babes online all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter.

The only problem is that it is NOT a smartphone. It will have great apeal to the teenie boppers but its not a tool for business or power users. There is no way the iphone could ever beat out the Treo.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Once they open it up to install apps, it will be a smartphone. However, I only mentioned the smartphone market. Even if they don't open it up, it will be a good stepping stone to a real smartphone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I have never called it a smart phone. I gave it a name... Entertainment phone.

The OS is built on os x and I am sure many cocoa apps will be ported to it in time which will bring it to Smart phone abilities.
    Apple isn't stupid. It appears that they have no intention of challenging Palm or Blackberry for the business space.... now. But I'd say within 2 or 3 generations of the iPhone watch out. If Palm and RIM don't keep innovating, Apple will get them. Look what they did to Creative, Rio, and everyone else in the MP3 player space.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeguy View Post
    Apple isn't stupid. It appears that they have no intention of challenging Palm or Blackberry for the business space.... now. But I'd say within 2 or 3 generations of the iPhone watch out. If Palm and RIM don't keep innovating, Apple will get them. Look what they did to Creative, Rio, and everyone else in the MP3 player space.
    I completly agree. I think The Steve is too wiley to challenge BB and Palm on their terms. He'll bide his time...for now.

The iPhone for me will be too limited. Just look at that iPhony launcher that came out. You can map every single button in that launcher to an application that already exists on your Treo IN ROM.

Now, just think how many functions with this launcher you CAN'T map to (due to the lack of icons to assign the functions to)...for me, that would be every game I have installed, every backup program I have installed, Voice Memo, Documents to Go, Google Maps, PalmVNC, PDANet, VeriChat, WorldClock, and more...

The iPhone will simply appeal to those who want a portable hard drive/AV player and camera device in their phone, and wish to use it for nothing else.

$599 is a little pricey, but at least you will be guaranteed your iTunes music library will play [without stuttering] Other than that, the video output and high capacity are the only things it's got going for it over the Treo.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I bought two Ipod Mini's 2 years ago and they claimed to have an a 8 hour battery life. I never saw more than 3 hours on either. I had to bring both back several times for exchanges. Yet each was always the same problem.
    Wow, that sucks. I've had my 4th gen ipod for almost 3 years and I still get pretty decent battery life, even using it day in-day out. Are you leaving it plugged in *all* the time or something?

Only poor press and class actions finally forced them to replace the batteries and originally they tried to force me to pay $90 for a new battery for each unit.
    3rd party battery options are half that price.

Sure, now they don't make the Mini only 2 years later and they suggest I spend yet another $249 for the Nano which is really exactly the same unit with a longer "claimed" battery life.
    Nope, nano and mini are not "really exactly the same unit". Nano has a color screen and flash-based hard drive (will be faster and take way way way more abuse than the drives in the mini or regular ipod.

What they are telling me is I'm supposed to pay again for their mistakes!
    Not quite - they're offering the latest technology available to them today.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    The iPhone for me will be too limited. Just look at that iPhony launcher that came out. You can map every single button in that launcher to an application that already exists on your Treo IN ROM.

Now, just think how many functions with this launcher you CAN'T map to (due to the lack of icons to assign the functions to)...for me, that would be every game I have installed, every backup program I have installed, Voice Memo, Documents to Go, Google Maps, PalmVNC, PDANet, VeriChat, WorldClock, and more...

The iPhone will simply appeal to those who want a portable hard drive/AV player and camera device in their phone, and wish to use it for nothing else.

$599 is a little pricey, but at least you will be guaranteed your iTunes music library will play [without stuttering] Other than that, the video output and high capacity are the only things it's got going for it over the Treo.
    I think it's kinda premature to speculate on whether or not those are the only things the iPhone has going over a Treo until we can actually play with one. The iPhone does not appear to be focused at a power business user and those will not find the phone appealing at all. But if Apple polishes the user interface and gives some real usability to the phone, it could appeal to a heck of a large segment out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post

Are you actually trying to compare the Treo to the "iPhoney" launcher that came out and thereby bashing the iPhone? As if the iPhone itself will have the limitations of this rush-job hack software?

Don't confuse yourself, the iPhone interface will not me limited like the iPhoney launcher skin is. As apps are added there will be additional icons to point to them. What a silly argument.

Well, I am a Treo and Palm lovers for 8-9 plus years? I think that we do have some hope that Palm will get off their duff! I am trying out the Q this week (and try my Palm Programs with "Style Tap" and will try out the The Q2 when it comes and the Samsung I-760 if Sprint picks it up. Hopefully the Sherlock will have "Crossbow" or what I want but do not expect is the Linux Palm Access (prob no hope of that though) You have to admit that I-760 could hit Palm for a whammy if that phone is a winner. Something has to happen to Palm to get them to listen to it's customers. The lag is my is my biggest complaint and is an important issue to me. Even though Palm say's it's an issue only with Power Users. I beg to differ. With my Camry 07 BT works ok. Hope Palm reads our postings!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast