Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I'm happy that the iPhone (or whatever it will be called) is coming out for 2 reasons mainly.

1. It will get more people in the smartphone market
    2. It will force Palm to be more innovative or be beat out.

Well, I am a Treo and Palm lovers for 8-9 plus years? I think that we do have some hope that Palm will get off their duff! I am trying out the Q this week (and try my Palm Programs with "Style Tap" and will try out the The Q2 when it comes and the Samsung I-760 if Sprint picks it up. Hopefully the Sherlock will have "Crossbow" or what I want but do not expect is the Linux Palm Access (prob no hope of that though) You have to admit that I-760 could hit Palm for a whammy if that phone is a winner. Something has to happen to Palm to get them to listen to it's customers. The lag is my is my biggest complaint and is an important issue to me. Even though Palm say's it's an issue only with Power Users. I beg to differ. With my Camry 07 BT works ok. Hope Palm reads our postings!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    ya the style tap (emulate POS) is really interesting. I need to read more on it.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Everyone,

I watched all the stuff on Apples site including the announcement and everything else and loved the iPhone -- great device and potential.

Now that the hype is over:

1) Is this the full OSX with a full Unix behind it?

2) Will they open it up to developers?

3) Will this become a great business power phone?

I think we have to wait and see what happens. I was initially blown away about the possibilities, but we don't know the true capabilities of this phone. If it is OSX why don't they want developers to write for it -- there should be no stability issues since it is a protected mode multi0tasking OS!

If Apple does not be proprietary and let people develop for this, the possibilities are great. But Palm should have a new OS based on Unix out for their phones soon as well.

Wait and see...and enjoy the Treo today for what it can do.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    I think it's kinda premature to speculate on whether or not those are the only things the iPhone has going over a Treo until we can actually play with one. The iPhone does not appear to be focused at a power business user and those will not find the phone appealing at all. But if Apple polishes the user interface and gives some real usability to the phone, it could appeal to a heck of a large segment out there.
    Sure, it will appeal to a lot of users. From the looks of it, it's got a really nice form factor. And a video output. And a hard drive With no keyboard, though it will not be very usable for email, IMHO, or for any other app that it may have that requires typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat View Post
    Are you actually trying to compare the Treo to the "iPhoney" launcher that came out and thereby bashing the iPhone? As if the iPhone itself will have the limitations of this rush-job hack software?

As apps are added there will be additional icons to point to them. What a silly argument.
    Of course, what I said is all IMHO, and NOT intended as a bash. Those looking for a simple iTunesPhone (renamed due to copyright) with a big HDD will find it a great product, I'm sure. I really do hope they make the API easily accessible to 3rd-party programmers, so that useful apps will become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler View Post
    1) Is this the full OSX with a full Unix behind it?

2) Will they open it up to developers?

3) Will this become a great business power phone?
    [...]
    If Apple does not be proprietary and let people develop for this, the possibilities are great. But Palm should have a new OS based on Unix out for their phones soon as well.
    My sentiments as well.

One thing I bet is that the iTunesPhone will rarely crash. Except maybe when attempting to play FLAC and OGG files--LOL!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I think Apple is going to take it slow and safe with this product out the gate. Then they will probably open it up to developers.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    it would be insane if palm could get the os x on the Treo. a unix os?
    Actually, ALP, the ACCESS Linux Platform is just that - a LINUX (UNIX-like) OS. Maybe not OS X, but should offer a world of opportunities.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12