Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Has any one tried using this third party application. I have used it on a pocket pc and worked fine. I installed it on the treo 680 running on t-mobile. I can log into it but. Once i try to get into a different web site. I return me to the treo home page. I'm using tzone. I can into a bunch of different website np on blazer but not my banks log in page.

I'm trying to find third party internet application so I can get into my bank website to log into it.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I use Opera mini with t-mobile t-zones exclusivley without any problems on my 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by TLCC View Post
    I use Opera mini with t-mobile t-zones exclusivley without any problems on my 680.
    What version of Opera Mini are you able to get running on the 680. I tried to use the latest version (3) several weeks ago and the system keeps crashing after an install. I know that there are several threads addressing this instability of OM 3 on the 680, but has there been a recent software build in light of these issues on the 680?

In other words how can I get Opera Mini to run without crashing on my 680?
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    mines kept crashing too, which sucks because I was really starting to like it. so now I'm back to blazer.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramet View Post
    What version of Opera Mini are you able to get running on the 680. I tried to use the latest version (3) several weeks ago and the system keeps crashing after an install. I know that there are several threads addressing this instability of OM 3 on the 680, but has there been a recent software build in light of these issues on the 680?

I have tried the latest version 3. I have tried to down load from their website and tried from Cnet. And it keep crashing on me too.

Has any one emailed opera on this. I have tried to look on the web page but cant find any thing on it.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramet View Post

I am using version 3 without any issues. I use Opera mini on and off all day. No issues, None.
    Hi, TLCC--

You mentioned being able to run Opera Mini on your 680 with T-Zones... May I ask how you did it? I have never been able to get Opera Mini to get past the Network Connection test, with or without the T-Zones proxy inputted into the IBM Java VM Prefs pane.

I've tried several different versions of Opera Mini over the past several months. Running Opera Mini on my Motorola RAZR V3 with the same SIM card works (had to create a specific APN to handle the T-Zones proxy), but no luck with my Treo 680...

Could you (or anyone who figured it out) post the exact settings I should be using?

Thanks much!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am using Version 3.1 on T-Mobile. I tried the newer version released recently, but it only worked part of the time and would freeze other times. So I went back to 3.1 which works great.

The trick is to have the Java VM set properly (located under "Other" in system prefs if you have downloaded it from Palm.

Under Global preferences, I have checked both "Use Double Buffering" and "Use high resolution coordinates."

I left the HTTP Proxy empty, but if you need it in your area, you can enter it there.

Under Set Memory Maximum I set that for 4Mb, and the Stack Size is 32Kb.

I use ZLauncher, so I run this from my card and it works very fast and this version is very stable.

Hope that helps you!
    Make sure that you install the latest Java - only this new version makes Opera mini 3 stable on my 680:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148699
    WOOHOO--IT WORKS!

I upgraded to the latest version of Java (thanks, Littledragon!), and that was the only change I needed to get Opera Mini working. (I had already done the double-buffering, high-resolution coordinates, memory and stack sizes--thanks for the suggestion, Maris!)

So, to help anyone else, let me recap:

I have a factory-unlocked Treo 680 with T-Mobile's T-Zones proxied internet access plan.

1) I went to:

http://www.operamini.com/download/?phone=palm_treo_680

And downloaded what is currently:

Opera Mini hifi viprdome int v. 3.1.8295.20070611

directly to my Palm device (using Blazer) as:

opera-mini-advanced.prc

2) On Littledragon's suggestion, I went to:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/download.html

and got the latest version of Java, which is:

J9 2.2.14 ARM (20070202_1505_IHsCmV)

It had to be installed (per Palm's instructions) via Hotsync.

3) Then, I went to the Prefs app and looked under the Other section for IBM Java VM and set the Opera Mini settings (not the Global Preferences) to the following:

[x] Use Double Buffering
    [x] Use high resolution coordinates

HTTP Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

Set Memory Maximum: 4Mb

Set Maximum Java Thread Stack Size: 32Kb

4) Then, I set the Network Prefs to use T-Zones (my phone had reverted to T-Mobile Internet after resetting with the last Java VM crash), and I started up Opera Mini, which for the first time ever passed the Network Connection tests.

Hope this helps somebody else! Thanks to everyone that helped me!
    Thank you for the great details of how you got it working. I tried the new Beta 4 a few weeks ago, and could NOT get it to work. After installing, it would do the initial "Network Test" and would say "doing Step 1" and freeze. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Java and Opera 4, with no luck. So I went back to Opera Mini 3.1, and it's been running fine. BUT, I think that Blazer is actually a little faster than Opera.

One question about your post: What's the purpose of the line:

I tried pinging that address, and it's timing out. What is that IP address, and what's the purpose of this proxy setting?

Thanks!
    Does anyone know what Double buffering and high resolution coordinates does?
    Also, setting max memory to 4mb seems like a good idea. We probablty don't want to set it to more than we actually have.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    Thank you for the great details of how you got it working. I tried the new Beta 4 a few weeks ago, and could NOT get it to work. After installing, it would do the initial "Network Test" and would say "doing Step 1" and freeze. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Java and Opera 4, with no luck. So I went back to Opera Mini 3.1, and it's been running fine. BUT, I think that Blazer is actually a little faster than Opera.

One question about your post: What's the purpose of the line:

I tried pinging that address, and it's timing out. What is that IP address, and what's the purpose of this proxy setting?

Thanks!
    This is a proxy server only for T-Mobile users using the $5.95 T-Zones data plan. You don't need this if you are using the normal data plan or ATT.